Huge trucking company goes belly up!

Its really crazy. Diesel is $4.91 on Maui, cheap gas $4.26, good stuff $4.46. Its literally gone insane!

The truckers are getting hit first as well as the guys like onebadnightrunner or any small business that uses a lot of fuel. In the end, we all are gonna being paying more for just about everything.

patrick

I remember twenty-five cent gasoline when I was in college. I also remember gas wars when stations would try to under cut each other and prices would sometimes go to ten cents.

One other memory...in high school, I once purchased ten cents worth of gas...was worried that I would run out, and that ten cents got me home...

Chicago has the highest prices in the continental US. The reality is that no one is doing anything differently. I still see the 18 wheelers running at 80 miles an hour, the kids racing their Evos and WRX's.

It will get much worse before it gets better. Lots of approaches to solutions above...one more...we need to get the US dollar back on the right track. Its value has fallen so low that it will buy very little in the global market. OPEC has not raised prices much...but we have to pay much more due to the poor state of our dollar vrs other currencies. That is directly related to the national debt...Bush has moved our national debt from 4 Trillion to nearly 9 Trillion in 7 years. This in essence has devalued our dollar and that is part of the high cost of fuel. There are lots of causes, the dollar, the demand, the speculators, the supply, and not much in the way of solutions on the horizon. Hang on friends, the ride will be rough and long.

The way gas prices are going I know that I am going to have to Just drive my TRUCK on Sat night & Sun Cruise. So I am to just have to see what it is like I guess the Cobra is going to be the daily driver.

Damn, what can we do to get the gas to go down something is going to have to give versus my bank account. I will ride a bike if Ihave to and I am moving to DC once I leave Japan, so I am guessing that the Metro & park & ride will be going, car pools. BUt at least the Miles on her wil be low. I got 2,413 on a 04. SO I wil have to super baby her now.

Prof said:
I remember twenty-five cent gasoline when I was in college. I also remember gas wars when stations would try to under cut each other and prices would sometimes go to ten cents.

One other memory...in high school, I once purchased ten cents worth of gas...was worried that I would run out, and that ten cents got me home...

Chicago has the highest prices in the continental US. The reality is that no one is doing anything differently. I still see the 18 wheelers running at 80 miles an hour, the kids racing their Evos and WRX's.

It will get much worse before it gets better. Lots of approaches to solutions above...one more...we need to get the US dollar back on the right track. Its value has fallen so low that it will buy very little in the global market. OPEC has not raised prices much...but we have to pay much more due to the poor state of our dollar vrs other currencies. That is directly related to the national debt...Bush has moved our national debt from 4 Trillion to nearly 9 Trillion in 7 years. This in essence has devalued our dollar and that is part of the high cost of fuel. There are lots of causes, the dollar, the demand, the speculators, the supply, and not much in the way of solutions on the horizon. Hang on friends, the ride will be rough and long.

From reading your post I can tell you are old enough like myself to
remember a saying, "It's as sound as a dollar" to describe something
that was of high quality.

It is a shame that I have not met anyone younger than about 50 that
ever heard that saying.:(

And yes those gas wars were great! I got spoiled and accustomed
to $0.19 a gallon 103 octane for a good while.:D

Diesel in SoCal is 4.80-5.22 per gallon.

I can't afford to drive anywhere in the Dually...............

God help the guys that have to make a living in the transportation industry.

Strange things going on...I agree with FstJack about the transportation industry, but it is doing so well on the stock market...the transportation sector is very strong...investors are flocking to it...anyone understand this trend?

I have been thinking about trucks and trains, boats and planes but only pipelines really meet the stark reality of the price of fuel these days...strange...

I am willing to bet that somewhere someone is about to say: "To save fuel and cut the demand...we want to lower speed limits to 50 mph and have strict enforcement. Remember when police would get three abreast on the interstates and go 55 mph...I think we will see some action on this front soon.

I also think that the movement of goods across country will have to cease. We will have to buy local...short haul due to expense rather than long haul, it just makes more sense from a consumption and cost view point. (I know Eddie hates it when I say that...sorry.)

I could also see a huge effort to force mass transit. New York is trying to make it very unpleasant to drive into the city. Chicago is reducing the number of lanes going into the city for private autos, and making significant lane dedication to mass transit.

Times are going to get tougher, and a lot less fun.

i agree with you on the speed. i just dont see buying local and a fix. youd starve in short order. 95 percent of everything you buy is hauled in from somewhere else on a big truck. if your watching good morning america this morning youll see the 2 prius's that drove from chicago to new york on a tank of gas. we have been teaching our drivers about coasting and trying to time redlights for the last two years. we run 59 mph. my father is going into the consulting business with fuel mileage and i imagine he will make a pretty good penny doing it. the way hes gonna work it is let the fuel savings pay his rate. most trucks you see running 80 wont be around too much longer. whats crazy is they will run their own truck 80 till they loose it then they will come work for us driving 59mph. makes no sense to me whatsoever.5 bucks per gallon will be here before you know it. i think it will hit six before the years out if not go higher. we are just at the start of summer right now.

We have a fleet of abou 75 service trucks, 80% of them 2500 dodges with hemi's. Our fuel bill have been in the 40,000$$$ these last few months normaly it runs about 20,000...

man, that sucks. the average citizen doesn't understand how this is going to affect the entire economy either. as the price of gas goes up, the prices for everything else will too.

BigDave1970 said:
I filled up my truck last week, and price of the gas here was already at $4.10. Cost me exactly $100 to fill the tank on my SRT-10

:dito: Except... I did that today..

mauiSRT/10 said:
Its really crazy. Diesel is $4.91 on Maui, cheap gas $4.26, good stuff $4.46. Its literally gone insane!

The truckers are getting hit first as well as the guys like onebadnightrunner or any small business that uses a lot of fuel. In the end, we all are gonna being paying more for just about everything.

patrick
A Frickin Whopper Cheeseburger at Burger King in Waikiki was 5.30 in 1993..:marchmellow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back