I have a dilemma

HOT RAM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was offered a good job today as a sheet metal supervisor for a large mechanical contracting company. I would have 4-6 men (pairs of mechanics/helpers) working for me and my main responsibility would be to see that the work was laid out for them and installed correctly.I would not be wearing tools or actually doing the work,just job supervisor/superintendent.

I can definitely do it.Been in construction for 32 years.Have run jobs and even multiple jobs at once.I can bring my own crew if I can find people to work.Will probably be given a new Ford truck and paid driving time one way.

Paid vacation and holidays after a year,decent insurance with dental and vision and AFLAC and a good 401k program.

The problem is that I just do NOT want to get back into construction work again.I am surviving right now but barely and this would be about $800 a week more than I am getting now.

But if I take it,my studies will have to be put on hold and I don't know when or if I will ever be able to resume.I am looking at farther down the road than just a job.I want a career that I enjoy,not just a job I can do.

What do y'all think ?

Take the job and keep looking.

You just never know what the future holds and where this position may lead

A job's a job right now. :dontknow:
Don't take this the wrong way, but with what I have seen going on down here, its hard for older people to get jobs that are available. They are not hiring the ones that have been doing it, because they want more money. They are hiring the young ones that they know will be around for awhile. And hiring them because they are cheap, not because they can do the job.

If you hate going to work then it aint worth it....only time I would advise taking a job that someone doesnt like is if it is just a temporary step to what you want...

I should add that I am 100% debt free on everything even my home, and have a very nice savings account.I am not "rich" but not suffering either.If I never get a job I can live 'til I die with no worries.

A job would make my income go up quite a bit,but the career that I am looking at will give lasting satisfaction.Money just isn't everything.
But even if I don't really get into the career I want,I just don't want to do something I hate more and more every year just to have a job.:(
But it pays very well.:rock:

Like I said,it is quite a dilemma.:dontknow:

A job's a job right now. :dontknow:
Don't take this the wrong way, but with what I have seen going on down here, its hard for older people to get jobs that are available. They are not hiring the ones that have been doing it, because they want more money. They are hiring the young ones that they know will be around for awhile. And hiring them because they are cheap, not because they can do the job.

Here here!!!!!

I've applied and got interviews for 3 jobs over the past month.....

I lost out to a 22 year old, a 25 year old and a 35 year old.....

man, if it would help ya get back on your feet & get some cash stashed back, go for it.

can ya still get some studing in & still make progress with ya schoolin instead of puttin it on hold???

maybe just move your graduation/finishin date back a bit???

wish ya well which ever way ya decied to go:rock::rock:

man, if it would help ya get back on your feet & get some cash stashed back, go for it.

can ya still get some studing in & still make progress with ya schoolin instead of puttin it on hold???

maybe just move your graduation/finishin date back a bit???

wish ya well which ever way ya decied to go:rock::rock:

It definitely would allow me to live a bit higher up,more toys,hire people to do stuff I am doing now,etc.

but they are working LOTS of OT,and I am not a fan of OT
I like four ten hour days and three day weekends
that was why I tolerated all the BS at the last place for 12 years,the hours and days :)

Sounds like you have already decided Nelson and I believe you made the right decision for you. There is a lot to be said for mental health.

if you're not hurting...why self induce the stress?...

study faster to become what ever it is you're looking into...if not, your "job" will take that time and more away from it...

i didn't start my company at 23 because i thought i was brilliant...it's because that's what i said i wanted to have by the time i was 30...and i don't like working for people...and i don't like OT...

i don't regret my decision a bit...

Thanks for all the help.

I think FATJACK is probably right :D

I think I have already made my decision

not 100% sure,but really close to it

money just isn't a big issue to me

I am NOT rich,but I have found that "stuff" don't always make you happy

The decision has to be yours alone. But if you have been in construction for 32 years already and have things in hand. Maybe a short stint in construction again could benefit more short term as in earlier retirement! The usual dilemma , time off and no money. Or money and no time to spend it!

I should add that I am 100% debt free on everything even my home, and have a very nice savings account.I am not "rich" but not suffering either.If I never get a job I can live 'til I die with no worries.

A job would make my income go up quite a bit,but the career that I am looking at will give lasting satisfaction.Money just isn't everything.
But even if I don't really get into the career I want,I just don't want to do something I hate more and more every year just to have a job.:(
But it pays very well.:rock:

Like I said,it is quite a dilemma.:dontknow:

man, i gots to learn to type faster, lol.:mad::D did not see that post:p

then with the facts posted. sounds like the BS to happy ratio is way out of whack.

i agree with FATJACK:rock::rock::rock:

Well,after the initial interview I find that the pie isn't quite as sweet as I was led to believe.

I have to start off as a mechanic working a helper and prove what I can do before moving up to supervisor.Told him flatly that I can understand that but I WILL NOT stay as a mechanic .I am old enough and more than skilled enough to be running the job and not still be banging around up and down ladders.The body just has had enough.I have seen too many people crippled up from too much manual labor and I don't want to be one of them.I have enough trouble as is without adding more to it.

Then the salary issue.............................:mad:
Seems they are waffling already on that ,too.
I am not interested in a $20/hr job.Just not worth the stress involved.
Tried to pin them down to $28+ but again they said we need to see what you can do.While I can understand that,why was an offer even made if that was the requirement ? It's not like I went asking them for a job.

Pretty much I have decided to just decline.

Sorry to hear the interview didn't go well. If I was in your situation, bills paid, cash flow OK, etc., I would concentrate on the studies and pursue what you really want to do.

Life is full of "what ifs". If you are happy & comfortably able to support your family, lifestyle, etc, keep going the way you are now. The money is nice? but as you say, it ain't everything. Worked as an OTR driver for too many years, hating it more & more everyday, gone much more than wanted, etc. Now that kids are grown with families of their own, wife has passed on, I have no reason to be home, but I absofukinglutely refuse to go back to that lifestyle. I think you've already made your decision, stick with it & you will NOT regret it. Good luck & enjoy what everyday comes your way.

Back