I'd be interested in how 5.13 gears fit vs. 4.88's

Bravo

Reaction score
To get the 4.88's to work, you use the Unitrax carrier which shifts the ring over to the small pinion (about 1/4 inch). 5.13's must use even smaller pinion as the ring on the 88's is tight in the housing.
To get the 4.88's to work, you must ever so slightly grind down one tooth at it's peak to allow the pin to go back in. This is what pete(maui)'s guy just did under the advice of unitrax, and what I'm doing too.
Unitrax claims that the slight removal is at the spot where there is virtually no load based on proper gear set-up and patterns. (were talking .010" bevel to allow for clearance).
Interested in those with 5.13's as to how the set-up went.
-J

:dontknow:
Bravo said:
To get the 4.88's to work, you use the Unitrax carrier which shifts the ring over to the small pinion (about 1/4 inch). 5.13's must use even smaller pinion as the ring on the 88's is tight in the housing.
To get the 4.88's to work, you must ever so slightly grind down one tooth at it's peak to allow the pin to go back in. This is what pete(maui)'s guy just did under the advice of unitrax, and what I'm doing too.
Unitrax claims that the slight removal is at the spot where there is virtually no load based on proper gear set-up and patterns. (were talking .010" bevel to allow for clearance).
Interested in those with 5.13's as to how the set-up went.
-J

Bravo, nice to know you know more about my truck than I do!:dontknow:

I slightly remember somebody else posting a similar situation. Could have been gearheadbill.

Well my grinded down gears feel great. No noise, no complaints. Soon to be :burnout:

patrick

Hey Patrick...

I appreciate all the input you had and posted regarding your install. I was just about to put the parts in that I got from Unitrax when your post came up. I read that your mechanic was having a time getting it sorted, and then voila, fixed after talking to Carl at Unitrax. I called Carl to ask what to expect based on your mechanic's and the super60's issues with the 4.88's and he told me about the slight bevel needed on 1 tooth to get the pin in. Not a big deal to the rear end folks at Unitrax..... they say that it will not be a problem whatsoever. Most importantly is the break-in. It is very critical.
Thanks again for your posts and forging the way.
-J

Bravo, this site is a wonderful thing to be able to share the knowledge.

Let me know how the beveling goes. Its nice to know how this all works and comes together.

Marc T is this why your guy used the stocker carrier? ie this beveling of the one tooth.

patrick

I would imagine that was the problem Guess my mechanic didn't take the time to call unitrax!! :dontknow: Glad you got it taken care of, definitely gonna be more reliable not having to use so many shimms!!

Just wait till you get to romp on her, your eyes will light up just like they did when you first drove your truck!!:rock: :p

Back