IDLE PROBLEMS...

DJCHEROKEE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello guys....
well i have i x-metal trottle body spacer in my reg cab tha i installed my self and never had no problems w/ it.
but now i take off from my reg cab. and put it in my qc. and notice that it stays a 1k rpm and some times it drop back to normal and then back to 1k again, also notice that when i go up to around 3k 4k it takes more time to go back to normal(800rpm.) i though it was just me and i did a side by side comparision w/ my brothers qc. and yes my truck takes around 6 to 9 seconds more to go back to idle.... i checked to see if the blade of the trottle was touching somthing and also did the paper trick... but still have the problem... also i don't think that is the tps because it star happening right after i installe the t.b.s... any ideas guys... thanks in advance.

Went with X-Metal T/B and thought that the T/B might be sticking too when she got hung-up at about 2000/rpm's...and wouldn't come back down to normal without draging the clutch to slow her down.
Took her to Dan at dcperformance and he hooked a tester up to her and said it was my "Idle Motor" :nurse: ....BINGO! :elefant: WARRANTY!

Quick

Last edited:
Just a thought. If the X-metal is similar to the Roe TB, then check the idle speed adjustment screw. Its the screw that adjusts the position of the butterfly blade when no tension is on the throttle cable. On my Roe TB I had to play with the adjustment a bit to keep my truck from hunting for idle speed and taking a while to settle down to idle. It needed to be set way lower than the position for the stock TB. Now she's solid as a rock. Hope that helps. Good luck.

DJ your TB is probably fine, your TPS is either out of adjustment, or its gone bad, its only $40 or so for a new one, so its a quick try;)

the only thing to check on the tb is to make sure its closing completly

i have the same problem.Not always , but from time to time.....
I guess it's the TPS and idle motor who have to work alot more because there is much more free clearance around the big blade then around the 2 small stock ones.So i guess engine is getting to much air easy trought that gap to go in revs....

Now Gary stated to keep off the idle screw but i'm gonne check it also today if the blade can't close no more then it does now...Perhaps the blade is just not vertical in the housing , leaving a bigger gap around then what could be with the idle screw turned out a bit...:dontknow: :dontknow:

Again i cannot believe that either TPS or idle motor is fault in so many cases here just after TB install...no , the reason is the TB ....

If you look against a light the difference is great ...stock blades are almost closing 100% ( round blades in "conical" bores ? ) , the big TB's have clearence all the way around... So i think our idle motor , instead of regulating bypass air , has to close completely ....and even then still to much air flowing to engine.... :dontknow: :dontknow:

Thanks for your help guys....

checked the tbs. this morning too.. and is closing and opening perfect.... but like belgiunbarry says... the blade has more clearence all the way around and that may be the reason... but i don't remember my reg cab doing the same thing.... she might and maybe never noticed.

gonna check the tps. and also try to adjust the butterfly.... looks like i have the exact same problem that belgiumbarry and thekaus had.... so gonna check those 2 things and i let you guys know.

dj you got to make the gtg in sept bro. been missin you around here

oh yeah.. coutn me in this time bro.... I'm not going to miss it...
the sea,the sun, srt10's and specially friends.... nope not going to miss it this time.
i hope the manager of the condos can take a crazy latino doing burnouts on the parking lot..... j/k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruFWR8VXhpk

Well Dealership says is because of the t.b.s. because it has more gap all the way around the blade and is licking more air than the stock t.b.s. but now is getting worse because sometimes it stays at around 2k rpm. and thats kind of dangerous.. so i will put it in my brothers srt10 and see if it does the same thing.

DJCHEROKEE said:
Well Dealership says is because of the t.b.s. because it has more gap all the way around the blade and is licking more air than the stock t.b.s. but now is getting worse because sometimes it stays at around 2k rpm. and thats kind of dangerous.. so i will put it in my brothers srt10 and see if it does the same thing.
I changed the TPS when i installed the TB.No problems.

thats bs dj tell them to put on a tps if it dont work youll pay for it. my t/b hasnt given me a bir of trouble. see ya in sept bro. you got to ride on the jetski with stinker.:D

DJCHEROKEE said:

If I remember just take your volt meter and check the voltage of your
TPS, closed I believe is about .95>1.volt and should go up smoothly
to about 5volts at WOT.

supercar1of1 said:
If I remember just take your volt meter and check the voltage of your
TPS, closed I believe is about .95>1.volt and should go up smoothly
to about 5volts at WOT.
If i was not so old i might be able to remember,But i think it was $32.00 for the TPS.Kind of a small price to pay for peace of mind.:dontknow:

OK... I have an apointment for next tuesday... they also replacing my stering wheel and probalbly the radio..nav. does'nt work.... but seems the the idle problem now is horrible..... when i'm crusing feels like i have cruise control all the time:D ....the when i stop goes to 15k rpm.. if i put it in "N" or "P" it goes up around 3k or 4k rpm.... so i stop driving it until tuesday...

thanks for all the help guys.... let you know tuesday whats going on..

eddie of course i will see you in sep. whats the story about tony and jet skys...

DJCHEROKEE said:
....the when i stop goes to 15k rpm..
:eek:

I wouldn't recommend that. I don't think that even registers on the stock tach. Must sound like a jet engine.:D

Hope they fix it for you DJ.

SilvrSRT10 said:
:eek:

I wouldn't recommend that. I don't think that even registers on the stock tach. Must sound like a jet engine.:D

Hope they fix it for you DJ.

lol.... my bad...lol.. mean to say 1500 rpm...:D
how yo been men..... i went to Roxboro well Timberlake yesterday.. i had a job over there... close to a theater call palace point... this is my 3rd job around the area.

DJCHEROKEE said:
lol.... my bad...lol.. mean to say 1500 rpm...:D
how yo been men..... i went to Roxboro well Timberlake yesterday.. i had a job over there... close to a theater call palace point... this is my 3rd job around the area.

I knew what you meant. Just messin' with ya.

Timberlake is where I live. Been to Palace Point many times. What job you working on?

yeap.. i know men..:rock: :D :p
well i install floors so... i had been around the area 3 times... but they are like 1 day job.... watson flooring contractsme to do the hardwood and laminate floor jobs from lowes customers.

DJ, great to see you on the forum. Sorry to hear of the truck troubles.
They will get it fixed for you.
Hope all is well with you my friend, and Happy Cinco De Mayo.:cheers:

NBT said:
DJ, great to see you on the forum. Sorry to hear of the truck troubles.
They will get it fixed for you.
Hope all is well with you my friend, and Happy Cinco De Mayo.:cheers:

THANKS MEN... HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO TO YOU TOO MY BRODA:rock: :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back