Ignition power stays on....

s4twin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took the truck out today and noticed that the radio stayed on after I took the ignition key out. The repeated ignition/door chime continued wheel the door is open, like if I left the lights on. BTW the alarm does not honk when I lock the doors. Can someone point me into the right direction. I'm thinking ignition switch(how would I test that).
TIA

Yessir I'd suspect your ignition switch. Dodges often wear out like old GM cars and you can remove key from ignition In any position. Put key back in and ensure it's switched backwards enough to off.

The pieces that turn the ignition switch are broken inside the lock cylinder. Same thing happened to my '01 Wrangler but mine would not crank over. I discovered the problem by having the radio on with the key in the accessory position. Turned the key to the lock position and radio stayed on. Then I discovered I could remove the key in any position. They make a repair kit for it so you don't have to replace the whole steering column.

Update............

ended up changing the ignition switch(located behind the tilt lever) and didn't solve anything, luckily it was only $30 shipped. But after looking up same related issues to other brands, found a suggestion that the aftermarket radio can cause issues. The radios internal switcher that switches from constant to ignition power can fail. So took the radio out and immediately solved the problem. Luckily that I didn't throw away the factory radio, put it in and everything is working perfectly.... for now:)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back