In the market for a bike

SilvrSRT10 said:
There are just so many people out there that are so insecure that they have to put down other people to feel good about themselves. Shame.
:withstupid::D :dontknow:

Wife and I went out Saturday bike hunting, after considering 20 bikes and her knowing NOTHING about them, the only one she liked was the hayabusa. It was bigger more comfortable and ironicly enough she thought it was more safe. So Ive made it my mission to find one. Im looking one i can pay cash straight up, or a finance company that doesnt need full coverage insurance. They want to charge me 380 a month insurance or 28 for liability.

If you know of a busa for sale, or a finance company that will finance a used bike and doesnt need comprehensive let me know. Thanks again for the responses!

JeffBoyette said:
Wife and I went out Saturday bike hunting, after considering 20 bikes and her knowing NOTHING about them, the only one she liked was the hayabusa. It was bigger more comfortable and ironicly enough she thought it was more safe. So Ive made it my mission to find one. Im looking one i can pay cash straight up, or a finance company that doesnt need full coverage insurance. They want to charge me 380 a month insurance or 28 for liability.

If you know of a busa for sale, or a finance company that will finance a used bike and doesnt need comprehensive let me know. Thanks again for the responses!

Will this be your first bike?

Once again it can be done, but I'd strongly advise against it it your first bike.

read up some on one of the hayabusa boards:

http://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=13;t=29015

insurance for any bike is usually cheapest through statefarm.(they rate per cc and clasify a motorycycle as a leisure vehicle not a primary mode of transportation).

and if I were selling my bike I would not sell it to a new rider of any age, even if he offered what I wanted for it, that's how strongly I feel about this. I don't say this to be "holier than though", I say this because I've seen to many new guys buy the biggest baddest bikes out there and be dead in a couple months....... to many.

Last edited:
I would seriously rethink a Busa for a first bike.
Get something smaller and then in a year get one.

To bad Dom is out of commision I am sure he knows where a couple of them are.

BurntRubber said:
I would seriously rethink a Busa for a first bike.
Get something smaller and then in a year get one.

To bad Dom is out of commision I am sure he knows where a couple of them are.

Not sure how long your riding season is but for up here I would say a couple depending on the season.

The 'busa or any other litre + bike, are not for beginners....

mr. anderson said:
Once again it can be done, but I'd strongly advise against it it your first bike.

read up some on one of the hayabusa boards:

http://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=13;t=29015

insurance for any bike is usually cheapest through statefarm.(they rate per cc and clasify a motorycycle as a leisure vehicle not a primary mode of transportation).

and if I were selling my bike I would not sell it to a new rider of any age, even if he offered what I wanted for it, that's how strongly I feel about this. I don't say this to be "holier than though", I say this because I've seen to many new guys buy the biggest baddest bikes out there and be dead in a couple months....... to many.

DONT KNOW HOW I MISSED THIS....let me get this straight JEFF....this will be your first street bike and your buying a BUSA....NOT ADVISABLE!!!!!

are you familiar with any type of motorcycle at all? man thats like saying i want to drag race for the first time and jumping into j forces funny car and nail it down the track....dude..as a somewhat veteran rider, this is not wise...is this is you first bike......i know this isnt what you want to hear...but i dont want to hear about a new member going and buying the mak daddy street bike as a first bike and killing himself the first day on it cause he didnt realize how powerful 168rwhp in a 800lb bike really is...dude...dont do it...

faslane505, gen 1 busas dyno average around 150-160 rwhp. Gadzuks man, 800lbs! do you think we weigh as much as a hardley ableson? Wet weight fully gased up, on an all stock busa is 550 lbs. Just FYI.

WOW!!! thats even worse and makes my point even better...thanks for correcting me but the point stays the same:rock: ...was guesstimating!:D and over shot by alot:nurse: ...anyways..please be careful Jeff....would have for you to make the mistake a lot of people do when choosing a first bike...:(

I'm not reccomending an FJR as your first bike... as it does fit that 600lb + 150hp bracket... but if you want some good advice from another board as well to help you feel better about your decisioning... you may want to check out the fjr forum @ fjrforum.com

btw: I pay 700 a year insurance on that bike... and I have excellent coverage with an umbrella policy...:D ... sure the busa's prolly higher.. but that's what'd u say 350 a month?!?!?! llol that's another reason not to buy one :p

I've been riding since 1984. A number of years ago I sat down and tried to figure out how many bikes I've owned...came up with just over 45. I currently have 4 sitting in the garage. I've owned every type and brand of bike. Bikes are not like cars or trucks. Each can offer a very unique experience and yes there are many bikes that can offer a do everything though you'll find that they come with many compromises that some (myself) just can't justify in owning one bike only. Its also my excuse to the wifey :rock:

I road raced for many years in late 80's then got back into it in late 90's and even managed to run AMA in 2001. Spent several years teaching riding in both basic training (MSF) and roadracing (California Superbike School). I get asked all the time about not only good first bike but also next bike. Yes, there are those who can go out and buy a Busa as a first bike and manage to live through the next 24 months but in my experience you are doing yourself a disservice.

Its a bad analogy but you really need to crawl, then walk before you really can appreciate running a marathon. Your learning curve will be so much longer starting out on a bike like the Busa.

New riders do one of two things....fall madly in love with motorcycles and can't imagine ever giving them up and others who really can't connect. Majority give it up within the year and never go back. Many reasons for those who don't connect and one big area is they got a scare. Another reason that most don't realize but resulted in them giving up M/C's is the skill required to really handle a bike. It is in no way similar to learning to drive a car. There is far more to riding a bike properly, safely and enjoyably then any new rider can understand.

Your an adult and the fact you asked for recommendations tells me a lot. Buy what you want (you will) but listen to those with real experience with M/C's....Busa type bike is not an ideal choice for your introduction into the world of M/C riding.

While racing I often participated in the new racer schools. This 'school' was required of all new participants. One of my fellow instructors would state the following to the class....

You just loaded up and heading for your first race weekend. In all the excitement you didn't properly tie off the bike resulting in the bike coming loose and falling off the trailer while going down the road. Your first response is; F&*K! How much is that going to cost? Whats my Insurance going to do? My season is ruined. If so then you have the wrong bike. If your response was; I've got spare lever, duct tape, wire wrap and JB weld.....should be able to make tech no problem. If so you have the right bike to start racing.

Good first bike is small displacement, up right ergo's and priced so that when you drop it you'll be more embarrassed then worried about how much that will cost to fix.

Chuck B said:
I've been riding since 1984. A number of years ago I sat down and tried to figure out how many bikes I've owned...came up with just over 45. I currently have 4 sitting in the garage. I've owned every type and brand of bike. Bikes are not like cars or trucks. Each can offer a very unique experience and yes there are many bikes that can offer a do everything though you'll find that they come with many compromises that some (myself) just can't justify in owning one bike only. Its also my excuse to the wifey :rock:

I road raced for many years in late 80's then got back into it in late 90's and even managed to run AMA in 2001. Spent several years teaching riding in both basic training (MSF) and roadracing (California Superbike School). I get asked all the time about not only good first bike but also next bike. Yes, there are those who can go out and buy a Busa as a first bike and manage to live through the next 24 months but in my experience you are doing yourself a disservice.

Its a bad analogy but you really need to crawl, then walk before you really can appreciate running a marathon. Your learning curve will be so much longer starting out on a bike like the Busa.

New riders do one of two things....fall madly in love with motorcycles and can't imagine ever giving them up and others who really can't connect. Majority give it up within the year and never go back. Many reasons for those who don't connect and one big area is they got a scare. Another reason that most don't realize but resulted in them giving up M/C's is the skill required to really handle a bike. It is in no way similar to learning to drive a car. There is far more to riding a bike properly, safely and enjoyably then any new rider can understand.

Your an adult and the fact you asked for recommendations tells me a lot. Buy what you want (you will) but listen to those with real experience with M/C's....Busa type bike is not an ideal choice for your introduction into the world of M/C riding.

While racing I often participated in the new racer schools. This 'school' was required of all new participants. One of my fellow instructors would state the following to the class....

You just loaded up and heading for your first race weekend. In all the excitement you didn't properly tie off the bike resulting in the bike coming loose and falling off the trailer while going down the road. Your first response is; F&*K! How much is that going to cost? Whats my Insurance going to do? My season is ruined. If so then you have the wrong bike. If your response was; I've got spare lever, duct tape, wire wrap and JB weld.....should be able to make tech no problem. If so you have the right bike to start racing.

Good first bike is small displacement, up right ergo's and priced so that when you drop it you'll be more embarrassed then worried about how much that will cost to fix.

what he said:dito: :dito: :dito: :dito:

Best advice ive ever recieved. Thanks again for all your inputs. Im taking your advice, unlike some out there i need the advice when i ask for it. A rocket on wheels in a 45mph zone is still a rocket on wheels, and i will want to take it off base and probably be stupid. I think im going to pick up a new kawasaki 250R and drive the piss out of it. In a few months ill buy a gxsr 750 then a R1 and ultimately a 08 busa. Plans may change later but at least i will be alive to make that decision! Thanks again guys see you next weekend.

JeffBoyette said:
Best advice ive ever recieved. Thanks again for all your inputs. Im taking your advice, unlike some out there i need the advice when i ask for it. A rocket on wheels in a 45mph zone is still a rocket on wheels, and i will want to take it off base and probably be stupid. I think im going to pick up a new kawasaki 250R and drive the piss out of it. In a few months ill buy a gxsr 750 then a R1 and ultimately a 08 busa. Plans may change later but at least i will be alive to make that decision! Thanks again guys see you next weekend.
just remember if you havent been down on one, your next in line.

how bout one of these

Buell Firebolt xb9r
Same drive line as a harley sportster except on a sport bike frame belt driven...not teribbly fast bout the same as a sportster...red line of 6800rpm roughly.. i think 86hp...65mpg and a damn good looking bike at that...should be able to this one up for about >$6000. best handling bike on earth IMO...

JeffBoyette said:

im glad that someone who asked for advise...took some!!!

faslane505 said:
im glad that someone who asked for advise...took some!!!
ditto...how can you drive your truck, when your laid up from a bike accident

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back