Inexpensive exhaust mods

wcso873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been researching some inexpensive ways to make my truck not sound like a ups truck....

Would removing the rear cats and replacing the mufflers with flowmasters sound good? I know all tastes are different but I drive the truck maybe once or twice a week and I want it loud.

We don't have emissions testing in Ohio and I have a friend at a muffler shop who will do the work for me.

Would I be better off removing both sets of cats? What would I do with the sensors on the front cats? Would I need a tune if I did that?

I'm sure this had has been discussed before and my apologies if so. I searched "exhaust" and did not see anything related to this.

I don't have the money for headers and a complete cat back at this time. Trying to get a nastier sound for as cheap as possible until I can afford more.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Btw it's a 05 qc. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would remove all cats if i were you. I did because i dont like them and i dont have emissions. You can buy spacers for your rear o2 sensors i got mine off ebay they take the sensor out of the exhaust never had a problem with mine. Not sure on the flowmasters i would say definitely on a v8 but not sure on a v10. I am running the snakebite mufflers and love the sound but its all on your preferences. I think there is a muffler sound thread might give you some ideas

Cool. I'll look into that. Thanks for the input!

I removed the rear cats and put on two electronic cut-outs. Sounds normal when closed. After pushing one button in the car, All hell brakes loose and I can wake the dead :p Two short pipes pointing down to the ground right under the seats :D

Enough to start car guard alarms too!

Good alternative as I still got the comfort when doing longer rides.

That sounds cool! Does the turndowns make the interior smell like exhaust?

All my mustangs that had no cats and turndowns and my Chevelle smelled so bad that u would stink of exhaust fumes when u drove them. I don't want that on my truck. So ur setup is one set of cats to cutouts and turndowns? I'd love to hear that. Any way u can do a video?

On my truck the first thing I did was cut out that barrel of a muffler and remove the resonator. I had a shop weld in 2 bullet style resonators(jones exhaust resonators) and I still have my 4 cats. It is much louder without being obnoxious. You can still talk in the cab with a passenger etc. If you get rid of your cats and everything these things are LOUD.

If I had to compare my exhaust setup it would be similar in style the borla exhaust which is basically 2.5 inch piping with 2 resonators 1 for each bank if you look at it.

What was the cost of the jones exhaust resonators? Any way of getting a video of that also!

What was the cost of the jones exhaust resonators? Any way of getting a video of that also!

The resonators were like $65 bucks a piece if I remember, I had a local exhaust shop do the work which was cutting out the barrel muffler and the stock resonator total was under $300 for everything.

Like you I couldnt deal with the quiet UPS sounds and wanted it louder but just didnt have the money for $700+ magnaflow or 900+ borla etc. I just wanted sound to match the truck. I had some sound clips on youtube but deleted them as I planned to make some more just haven't gotten around to doing that.

Here are the bullet muffers I used [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Jones-Exhaust-Turbine-JT2525-Muffler/dp/B00IFSKE4G"]Amazon.com: Jones Turbine Muffler JT2525: Automotive[/ame]

You can use any brand i.e cherry bombs, magnaflow etc they all do the same.

Great advice. Thanks. Let me know if you get a video made here in the near future.

Just to be sure the exhaust is 2.5 on these? Found those jones resonators on eBay for 36 apiece with free shipping

Just to be sure the exhaust is 2.5 on these? Found those jones resonators on eBay for 36 apiece with free shipping

Yeah, the stock exhaust is only 2.5 inches in diameter for each side. If you at the how the Borla exhaust is made you'll basically be doing the same thing at a faction of the cost.

Ram 1500 2004-2005 Cat-Back Exhaust part # 140111

Awesome. Thanks

I cant post the video of my exhaust from my phone if you want i can text it to you or possibly email if your interested

Just an FYI. And I completely understand being low on funds at the moment.

That being said, you get exactly what you pay for. There are tons of junk parts out there on eBay and various places where the vendor does not own a website.

These trucks being a 10 cylinder have an entirely different exhaust bark than your typical V-8. Certain mufflers that sound great on a small block Chevy, make a Viper sound like crap. Maybe look into Spintech, they are not very expensive, and you can search youtube for some posts of exhaust sound.

I get that. Currently waiting on more info on the snakebite system. I sold a watch yesterday and freed up some money.

I left all the cats there and replaced the muffler with an x-pipe. It's lowder, but not too lowd.

If you don't mind doing business with the most hated vendor without a website try Scott and his Snakebite. Give it a listen---awesome and mine has been on right at 95,000 miles and still sound great. I had him install dumps (cutouts for the newer generation) which I like but it will never sound like the old rumbling V-8's. He has the Snakebite vid posted on his non-existent web site. I believe he also has mine truck with dumps open and closed for comparison.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back