Installing T-stat, Need checklist

trw0042

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installing my 172 degree T-stat from xmetal and i have the general idea of how to put this thing in. Just would like a checklist of things to do and check as i do it. Step by step instructions would be great if anyone has the time to write me something.

Appreciate any help

Well, from memory...drain the water, remove the four bolts from around the thermostat housing (starting with the lower left one), you can leave the radiator hose connected or remove it from the housing as I recall. Remove and replace the thermostat housing, refill the radiator and bleed the air ot of the system with the bleeder valve.

That's about it, unless you want to take this opportunity to paint or powder coat the thermostat housing...you can also get some 1/4 X 20 X 1 inch polished bolts to reassemble it with, which sure looks better that those funky factory bolts. If you do that, there's one of them that a ground connection (upper right) that I moved to the lower right so it is closer to being unseen.

There is a bleeder valve on the bottom of the radiator on the drivers side. You can attach a small hose to that and drain it straight to a bucket.

Removed about 1 gallon.

Remove FOUR bolts from T-stat Housing. The bottom one, towards the middle of the engine, is the tough one

Remove housing and swap T-stats.

When re-installing the housing, start with the 'tough' bolt. The T-Stat housing uses a reuseable O-Ring, so no gasket or sealer is needed.

refill cooling system.

Start truck and use bleeder screw on top of T-stat housing to bleed out air. Only have to loosen it a little bit, when straight coolant purges out - you're good to go. Tighten it back up.

Might be a good idea to have some extra coolant to top off the system when finished.

I copied the above info from other posts. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• T-stat.gif
    T-stat.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 374
This is how I did it:

1. Make sure truck is cold.
2. Open your radiator cap.
3. Get under the truck and open the drain cock located on the drivers side. (If you can attach a hose to it so coolant doesn't get all over.

4. Disconnect the radiator hose from the radiator and get the coolant out.
5. Now the bottom of the hose.
6. Unscrew the four bolt that hold the thermostat housing. (Use a extension on the bottom left bolt.)

7. Replace the thermostat in the same position as the old one.
8. Loosely screw the thermostat housing back.
9. Tighten the 4 bolts like you tighten a tire, in a star pattern.
10. Reconnect the radiator hose. Make sure it is on all the way, and the clamps are tight.

11. Open the bleeder valve on top of the thermostat housing.
12. Pour new coolant/distilled water into radiator and wait for a steady stream to come out of the bleeder valve.

13. Close bleeder valve.

14. Turn on truck until it gets to temperature, make sure it doesn't overheat.

15. Recheck coolant level in the overflow tank.

16. Good to go!

Thanks for the help guys, i am installing in the next day or two, i will let you know how it goes.

No one mentioned that the stock clamps are a PITRA (Pain in the Royal Arse)!!!, I had 4 different vice grips opened to the widest settings and getting them to fit over the tabs and then be able to "close" the clamp so that will move was a major pain.

When I put on my Supercharger, I will probaly be replacing my clamps with screw down hose clamps... or might even get the braided stainless kit that summit and jegs has (no I am not talking about Spectre crap either!!), its a complete kit that converts the fittings over to large size -AN style fitting, looks really beechin...

azpyroguy said:
No one mentioned that the stock clamps are a PITRA (Pain in the Royal Arse)!!!, I had 4 different vice grips opened to the widest settings and getting them to fit over the tabs and then be able to "close" the clamp so that will move was a major pain.

When I put on my Supercharger, I will probaly be replacing my clamps with screw down hose clamps... or might even get the braided stainless kit that summit and jegs has (no I am not talking about Spectre crap either!!), its a complete kit that converts the fittings over to large size -AN style fitting, looks really beechin...

I had the special tool for these, you can buy it at Autozone if you need it.....

trw0042 said:
What is the special tool from autozone

I'm not sure what its called...I think its a hose clamp plier, you know they may even have one to rent or lend out....

nwappleby said:
whats the best tool to get the housing bolts off.......that is a strange star pattern

You need a strange star shaped tool for those...:p ;) :D I used a nut driver that goes over the shoulders of the fasteners, 5/16 or whatever size they are, I don't recall. The other thing that everyone has forgotten is you'll need at least a 12 pack of beer in a cooler close by so you don't have to interrupt what you're doing to get one. It's about a 6 pack job, then you have some left to sit back and admire your skills and mechanical abilities before you go for a test drive...LOL!!!

Its a "Torx", I forget the exact size, but T-30 sticks in my mind. I just bought a set of Socket style Torx bits. The lower left bolt is the most "fun" to work with.... Fun = PITA!!!

Call Justin and get some real clamps guys, NBT just had his blow off because of the lame factory clamps.

Well while your at it jsut get a set of hard hoses from Justin:burnout:

Just not pink like rice Eater:D

will a thin walled 7/16 socket work......I dont wann risk stripping the torx head......these suckas seem tight

trw0042 said:
Thanks for the help guys, i am installing in the next day or two, i will let you know how it goes.

I will be right behind you... waiting for parts to arrive... TX Yellow has me thinkin about the housing though....:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back