Insulating an issue

Silver05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as you guys know on a stock or performance vehicle, the heat is always a problem, my k&n airbox is just open and the other day I was messing with the Throttle body I put my hand on the shield and it was super hot, idk how these things survive in the heat, I don't know if you guys have seen Cold Air Inductions products but they make a very nice kit for chargers Camaros and others but not for our trucks, so I decided to add bubble wrap insulation to the inside of mine all for $20, I'm still debating on fabricating an slumming top lid for it to keep it completely isolated, anyway here are some pics,
Before :

In process;

Done;

I like the idea. But I think the heat shielding may have worked better on the outside of the box.

The material has no R-value. It is a reflective material to combat radiant heat only. Installed on the outside of the air box would work much better.

Drove the truck this morning, and I put my hand inside the air box , what do you know, nice and fresh !

Best way is to allow engine to run cooler through t stat and fan settings. Ran 12s in Texas heat without heat soak. But if it works and keeps intake charge cooler do it:rock:

IATs matter too right ? I ordered a 170 stat and gaskets and yes I know it has to be tuned to the cooler stat so I'm waiting to install it

Stock it runs about 200 right ? Or am I seeing it wrong ?

Stock it runs about 200 right ? Or am I seeing it wrong ?

I have a tune on my truck but no T Stat, oil temp rise im at 200 which is the same for the coolant. Oil temp will wise up to 220 if im hammering it though but will cool back down to 200 once im done. Engine temp stays the same.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back