Insurance Question

blown04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for the members. If i were to loan my vehicle to someone and they were to get into an accident, can you have their insurance cover it if they are insured or would it definately be on your own insurance?

Depends on the state. Most times insurance follows the vehicle so it would go under your insurance.

I have ins. w/State Farm and they tell me if I loan my car to someone that has no insurance that they will not cover it. So I would think their ins. would be responsible.

State law and/or insurance policy governs it.....state law comes before ins policy.....varies from state to state so talk with your ins agent to be sure..

Just add him/her 2 your insurance policy, that way you're covered

I can tell you from personal experience that if the person you loaned your vehicle to gets into an accident the least of your worries is if your insurance or his/her insurance covers you. In the end the attorneys will come after the owner regardless...very few people carry anymore than state required liability limits and even fewer will use $500,000 limits. Personal injury can quickly exceed $500,000. Attorney's will come after you for anything above your limit amounts.

Its one of the reasons I stopped carrying vehicle specific insurance. I rely on an umbrella policy that covers far more (multi millions) and significantly less cost.

Back