J&S SafeGuard

NSDQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J&S Vampire

Not sure if anyone would be interested in one of these, but when I had my SVT Focus with ProCharger, I had one of the Vampire units. These units simply retard individual cylinders in your engine when the sensor detects engine knock. These units will SAVE your engine from blowing. Back when I had my car everyone on the Focus forums who has forced induction swore by these units. Multiple guys were running 300+ wheel hp in their Focus's with completely stock internals and didn't blow their engines, and this on cars that bone stock had 150 or so fwhp. Also, many Lightning and 03-04 Cobra guys run these as well and I'm sure a variety of other FI vehicles, so long as they are a vehicle brand supported by the builder. I emailed the guy and inquired as to whether he can build one for our engines, as he currently only makes them for up to 8 cylinders. Many of us worry about blowing our engines if we add too much rwhp and even with a built motor, having one of these would give you peace of mind. Back when I bought the unit that was in my car, it cost around $475. He typically only builds them once you order it, he rarely keeps them in stock from what I remember. Here's what the builder said to me via email today in regards to the possibility of building one for our trucks:

"Jason:

Is your engine similar to the Dodge Viper?

That's five channel waste spark, but it's odd fire.

I would have to modify the software to work with odd fire.

An even fire ten cylinder would fire every 72°. The Viper fires 54°, 90°, 54°, 90°, etc.

The Vampire uses a knock listening window. It starts listening 24° after the trigger pulse, then listens for 45°. You can see that half the time a new trigger would arrive before the knock processing is complete.

It's doable, but it would be tricky.

JohnP"

Perhaps if there's enough interest on here he would be willing to build multiple units. Just thought I'd share this, figured the FI and high hp N/A guys would be interested. He also offers a 2 1/16" monitor gauge that you can put in a gauge pod, which is very useful as the unit has to be installed usually in the glovebox.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back