JL audio questions-help

BOOMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i know JL Audio makes interface modules to work with OEM headunits, but there are 3 pieces. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=94
do i need the clssi?
i bought a Mega Cab as a dailey driver, and to pull the Xmetal Vehicles to shows and races, and i want to use a JL stealth box with dual 10's a 500x1 amp for that and a 300x2 for the front speakers (upgrade the stockers to JL)
but use the factory head unit.
any help would be mucho appreciated

Sorry no help hear, but It sounds like a sweet set up. You should put a SRT front end on that bad boy.

I think you just need the base unit (Cl441 w/dsp)... But with it being one of the new dodges, I'm not sure if you will need signal summing or not... :dontknow:

Call JL in the morning and they will be able to tell you for sure.

Congrats on the new ride man!! Step up for diesel??

The most common way is a converter that converts the regular speaker wires into a RCA type connection. The unit that you're talking about looks like it is more for integrating things like a 6disc changer, ipod, satelite radio etc w/o all of the wiring traditionally used for this type stuff. The Dodge stereo is still pretty basic unlike some european imports where something like this would dramatically help the wiring situation. Something like Dad's Jag couldn't have satelite radio w/o a FM transmitter b/c of wiring issues but something like this would take care of that.

If you want to still have all of the fade and balance capabilities then I'd use a 4 channel amp and replace the fronts and rears with better speakers. If you want to only have balance or fade you can use a 2 channel. I'd replace both fronts and rears reguardless, otherwise it will sound unbalanced from the drivers seat. The amped speakers will get louder much faster than the stock ones.

Anything will be MUCH better than stock. Dodge should be introducing a ipod hookup for the 06+ trucks pretty soon similar to what they have for the 03-05. IMO this is the main benefit of the unit above. The RCA converter is pretty inexpensive and at the level you are talking about you won't notice a difference in sound. If you really want some better midrange speakers look at some boston acoustic stuff. Some sub amps have an external remote to control basically the volume. If you listen to different kinds of music like rap and country its a quick easy way to change the bass level w/o adjusting the bass in the headunit and turning the bass up and down on the rest of the speakers.

One other thing. Talk to a local stereo shop, I'm going to get a box custom made for mine locally for close to the same price that has more air volume than the JL box and lets me get more out of higher power subs.

Joe

Scrambler1 said:
Congrats on the new ride man!! Step up for diesel??

The most common way is a converter that converts the regular speaker wires into a RCA type connection. The unit that you're talking about looks like it is more for integrating things like a 6disc changer, ipod, satelite radio etc w/o all of the wiring traditionally used for this type stuff. The Dodge stereo is still pretty basic unlike some european imports where something like this would dramatically help the wiring situation. Something like Dad's Jag couldn't have satelite radio w/o a FM transmitter b/c of wiring issues but something like this would take care of that.

If you want to still have all of the fade and balance capabilities then I'd use a 4 channel amp and replace the fronts and rears with better speakers. If you want to only have balance or fade you can use a 2 channel. I'd replace both fronts and rears reguardless, otherwise it will sound unbalanced from the drivers seat. The amped speakers will get louder much faster than the stock ones.

Anything will be MUCH better than stock. Dodge should be introducing a ipod hookup for the 06+ trucks pretty soon similar to what they have for the 03-05. IMO this is the main benefit of the unit above. The RCA converter is pretty inexpensive and at the level you are talking about you won't notice a difference in sound. If you really want some better midrange speakers look at some boston acoustic stuff. Some sub amps have an external remote to control basically the volume. If you listen to different kinds of music like rap and country its a quick easy way to change the bass level w/o adjusting the bass in the headunit and turning the bass up and down on the rest of the speakers.

One other thing. Talk to a local stereo shop, I'm going to get a box custom made for mine locally for close to the same price that has more air volume than the JL box and lets me get more out of higher power subs.

Joe
I pretty much agree with Joe on this Gary. Depending on the model of amplifier you will need to use existing stock signal wire and integrate into a high pass connection to the amp. If the amp does not accommodate high pass connections via hard wire the RCA conversion kit will do the job. My experience with JL equipment has always allowed for this type of connection. The rear sub signal is an easy one because the rear amplifier handles just this, the sub. It's a mono signal (all bass is) so you can tie into existing wiring from the deck and tune from there and fine tune from the amp. The front can be tuned, but he is right about the possibilities of imaging problems. Over driving the exsisting OEM speakers to compensate for the better after market speakers. I don't really see the need for the integration module in your application. You have my cell #, I can probably explain it better to you over the phone if you prefer.

Scrambler1 said:
.... The Dodge stereo is still pretty basic unlike some european imports where something like this would dramatically help the wiring situation. Something like Dad's Jag couldn't have satelite radio w/o a FM transmitter b/c of wiring issues but something like this would take care of that....

Joe

I agree with that! Bose, Alpine, Pioneer, and Blaupunkt were famous for using 2 and 3 channel signal wires in OEM applications. A real PITA for aftermarket conversion.... This being a new Dodge, I wasn't sure who makes the headunit for DC on these....

Iltemprd said:
I pretty much agree with Joe on this Gary. Depending on the model of amplifier you will need to use existing stock signal wire and integrate into a high pass connection to the amp. If the amp does not accommodate high pass connections via hard wire the RCA conversion kit will do the job. My experience with JL equipment has always allowed for this type of connection. The rear sub signal is an easy one because the rear amplifier handles just this, the sub. It's a mono signal (all bass is) so you can tie into existing wiring from the deck and tune from there and fine tune from the amp. The front can be tuned, but he is right about the possibilities of imaging problems. Over driving the exsisting OEM speakers to compensate for the better after market speakers. I don't really see the need for the integration module in your application. You have my cell #, I can probably explain it better to you over the phone if you prefer.
thanks guys, i was going to upgrade all of the speakers to JL units. 10 years ago i went to RTTI (rockford fosgate tech training) but shit has changed a BUNCH since then. i have 2 old school Power 1000's that are going into my Viper GTS, that thing is a piece of cake. and i am making a fiberglass enclosure for it
i dont trust any local stero shop, buti do trust you guys. sound quality is upmost for me. so i ordered the JL stealth box, and i dont want to put a bunch of time into it, time i dont have! i just want to keep the factory head, its a nice nav unit, with built in 6 disc.

BOOMER said:
thanks guys, i was going to upgrade all of the speakers to JL units. 10 years ago i went to RTTI (rockford fosgate tech training) but shit has changed a BUNCH since then. i have 2 old school Power 1000's that are going into my Viper GTS, that thing is a piece of cake. and i am making a fiberglass enclosure for it
i dont trust any local stero shop, buti do trust you guys. sound quality is upmost for me. so i ordered the JL stealth box, and i dont want to put a bunch of time into it, time i dont have! i just want to keep the factory head, its a nice nav unit, with built in 6 disc.

The StealthBox's are nice. I have one in the center console of the Furd. (It's a JL 10w3 v3) They put a lot of homework into those box's, and it shows. :rock:

The older Rockford Amps were the POO! :rock: They don't make 'em like they used to. :( I wish I still had my old Lanzar amps from the early 90's. ;)

Black1 said:
The StealthBox's are nice. I have one in the center console of the Furd. (It's a JL 10w3 v3) They put a lot of homework into those box's, and it shows. :rock:

The older Rockford Amps were the POO! :rock: They don't make 'em like they used to. :( I wish I still had my old Lanzar amps from the early 90's. ;)
old stuff poo?????????????
the Power 1000's are heavy, but hotrod cool looking and can push 2000 watts into a 1ohm load!

I think I still have a Power 1000 laying around from one of my former systems. hmmmmmm I may be adding stereo stuff sooner than I thought.

Joe

BOOMER said:
old stuff poo?????????????
the Power 1000's are heavy, but hotrod cool looking and can push 2000 watts into a 1ohm load!

That's what I mean! :dontknow: ..... (Sorry, must be a generation gap. :p "The Poo" means "The Shit", or Bitchin'. :D )

Some of the new stuff is still good though, I guess.... I have a MTX Thunder 400 pushing my 10" sub in the Ford. It is rated at 350w RMS, and was tested and certified at 566watts RMS. :D (It's also 1ohm stable.)

Used to run a moderate, 8 speaker system with a punch 150 and punch 75 about 15 years ago....met too many people back in the day with 1000 watt systems that didn't sound as clear, nor as loud, as my simple set-up....it freakin rocked :rock:

Had a buddy with a Power 1000 running 5 punch 15's in high school....that thing would change your heartbeat....Gary running two of those = insane :D

Scrambler1 said:
I think I still have a Power 1000 laying around from one of my former systems. hmmmmmm I may be adding stereo stuff sooner than I thought.

Joe
we needs to do some trading my little brotha. serious. let me know!

BOOMER said:
haha, got ya!

For my SRT I picked up the Rockford 3Sixty.2 DSP module, similar to the JL (which actally came out after the Rockford), the Rockford allows you to control you entire system from a BlueTooth Palm, or Microsoft CE Device.

Because Dodge is using the new CAN Bus system, this elimates all the "Dodge Factory" tuning and equlization, and provides a true 6 channel system.

Take a look at the unit.. its freaking awesome. Check your PMs.

Scott.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back