JTSVP starter button always lit??

Nucdancer01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subject says it.

Anyone else's always lit? I have an 06, followed directions obviously, and have a background in electronics.

The only way for it to light at all is to connect a ground to pin 5, the problem is that the factory plug applies 12vdc on the other side of the light at all times. This is the same 12vdc that passes through the button when starting the truck, so I can't remove that pin or I would have no power for the starter function.

I could make the 12vdc a switched 12vdc, but I'm hoping someone else has some firsthand experience with this. The only real problem is that I worry it'll drain my battery.

BTW, this and a shift knob from Tony were my birthday presents from my wife!! Pretty sweet... Great woman and good looking too!

So when the key is off, the light is still on?

Shouldnt be hot at all when key is off. The starter button is key hot, no batt hot wires going to it. If i got one of those switches, i would run it's light wire to the ashtray light circuit.

When the key is off, the light is on.

When the key is off, the factory plug going to the button has 12vdc going to it. It is hot all the time. No modifications

My start button, only lights up when I turn my headlights on. It's off the rest of the time. I didn't want my button on Dorn the day.

My start button, only lights up when I turn my headlights on. It's off the rest of the time. I didn't want my button on Dorn the day.

Which pins are your jumper wires on? Is your truck an 05 or 06? I don't have an ash tray light, I used the cig lighter..

Tony installed it when I was at the shop. when he installed the roe. I just told them I didn't want it on all the time. just on when my headlights came on and that's what he gave me. Just call Tony up tell him what you want here probably be able to tell you exactly how to wire it.

Wire the power to something only live when the key is on. Cig lighter or light switch.

Power comes into the push button assembly on pin 2. That power is sent to the light and the button. If pin 5 is grounded, the circuit is complete, and the light shines.

The power on pin 2 ALSO goes to the starter button itself, and is sent through the button (when depressed) back to provide the power to engage the starter.

The problem is that the light already has power on it, in stock configuration, and that power is the same that's used for the starter. If I remove the power from the light, I remove it from the starter.

I could remove the power from pin 2 and replace it with switched power. But then I would be changing the wiring for the starter. I don't know why they chose to power the switch all the time from the factory, and since I don't know why it was done that way, I don't want to change it.

I'm not trying to be a smart alec, and I appreciate all of the help. I'm just wondering how others who have installed this have made it work...

Power comes into the push button assembly on pin 2. That power is sent to the light and the button. If pin 5 is grounded, the circuit is complete, and the light shines.

The power on pin 2 ALSO goes to the starter button itself, and is sent through the button (when depressed) back to provide the power to engage the starter.

The problem is that the light already has power on it, in stock configuration, and that power is the same that's used for the starter. If I remove the power from the light, I remove it from the starter.

I could remove the power from pin 2 and replace it with switched power. But then I would be changing the wiring for the starter. I don't know why they chose to power the switch all the time from the factory, and since I don't know why it was done that way, I don't want to change it.

I'm not trying to be a smart alec, and I appreciate all of the help. I'm just wondering how others who have installed this have made it work...

Hey boss, shoot me an email , been out of office a couple days, but let me double look at this , there is something, but just back in shop, an will hit ya back tomorrow
[email protected]
yessir , very nice wife you have sir, super lady to work with, congrats man

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back