Just cut off rear cats?

Misterhemi03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking if it was worth it to have just the rear cats cut off and weld straight pipe in. Is it worth it for power boost, or better sound? Thats with the stock front set of cats still in place.

Actually bro the upper cats or the ones closest to the manifolds are the most restrictive, tightly wound aluminum, very very restrictive, the lower ones arent that bad.

Stinker said:
Actually bro the upper cats or the ones closest to the manifolds are the most restrictive, tightly wound aluminum, very very restrictive, the lower ones arent that bad.

The front catalytic converters are a ceramic filter / element 3 1/8" in width, and the rear's are a stainless steel mesh approx 3 1/2" in width, and the rears are VERY restrictive.

you will gain some HP, and expect an increase in exhaust volume/db.

-Red

WILDMAN

I seem to remember several members removing the rear cats and said it sounded better and ran ran better two. I actually got a set of cats and gutted them to install on mine but never did. They are still in the garage. I thought I would put the gutted ones on the rear and you wouldn't be able to tell they were gone if I had to take it back to the dealer. It looks like it would have to help performance some.

Wade

If yer gonna go....................why fk around...:dontknow: .............go all the way...:burnout: :rock:

SD

i cut out the resonator & the rear cats -- definetly sounds better, but the front cats are the restrictive ones........ if you've got deq to worry about & you don't want to swap out catless mids, then this is your best option..... of course you could replace the front's with hi-flow cats & still be legal...... :D

Silent D said:
If yer gonna go....................why fk around...:dontknow: .............go all the way...:burnout: :rock:

SD

I was thinking of a cheapo way to get some more power and better sound. I dont really want it too much louder than it is now. Already have magnaflow cat back.

Misterhemi03 said:
I was thinking of a cheapo way to get some more power and better sound. I dont really want it too much louder than it is now. Already have magnaflow cat back.

if you are looking for a noticable SOTP power increase then you'll have to do cut out all the pipe between your manifolds and muffler and go straight. I am currently running mopar LT headers w/ catless mids and a magna flow muffler w/ turn down tips......but its loud! i don't think you'll notice as much just doing half of the pipe and not the other. just my opinion:dontknow:

Rice Eater said:
if you are looking for a noticable SOTP power increase then you'll have to do cut out all the pipe between your manifolds and muffler and go straight. I am currently running mopar LT headers w/ catless mids and a magna flow muffler w/ turn down tips......but its loud! i don't think you'll notice as much just doing half of the pipe and not the other. just my opinion:dontknow:

I agree...I used the plasma, cut open all 4 cats, gutted them, and rewelded them back. Looks completely stock, and dyno'd for a good 28hp

I have another stock set to put on when the time comes....

I went out and double checked, the rears are the stainless mesh, and are the restictive ones, not the fronts...

Misterhemi03 said:
I was thinking if it was worth it to have just the rear cats cut off and weld straight pipe in. Is it worth it for power boost, or better sound? Thats with the stock front set of cats still in place.

In my honest opinion I would just leave the fac midpipes as is. As far as power difference goes i've had mines in and out and I really dont feel a diff in power. However as far as sound goes the truck deffinately gets louder and you here every pop and gurgle as if it were carburated. I would definately had to prefered to invested my money in the MAgnaflows instead or first than replacing the midpipes( or cutting the cats out for this matter). If your looking for noise get the MF and/or after intake system and you'll pleased.

I guess they are different Patrick , both of my sets the aluminum was at the top , or foward:dontknow: but we know haw the factory can be:p

If ya want to get better performance and sound, then do this, either cut and remove and reweld as me and patrick both did, looks stock, sounds great, but most muffler shops want do this , so you would have to be able to do it yourself.

The second option is to go to the muffler shop and have them fab up some mid pipes and install some hi flow cats. easy and cheap.
If you do this have them make the cats to where you can remove them, and tell them its for when you go to the track.
You can get cheapo Cats also for about $50 from summit or Jegs, that are removable, and after you have them installed , takem home and knckem out:D

it is worth it, like Patrick said, with both removed, you should get about 25 hp and it will be at the Rear Wheels:D

Stinker said:
I guess they are different Patrick , both of my sets the aluminum was at the top , or foward:dontknow: but we know haw the factory can be:p

If ya want to get better performance and sound, then do this, either cut and remove and reweld as me and patrick both did, looks stock, sounds great, but most muffler shops want do this , so you would have to be able to do it yourself.

The second option is to go to the muffler shop and have them fab up some mid pipes and install some hi flow cats. easy and cheap.
If you do this have them make the cats to where you can remove them, and tell them its for when you go to the track.
You can get cheapo Cats also for about $50 from summit or Jegs, that are removable, and after you have them installed , takem home and knckem out:D

it is worth it, like Patrick said, with both removed, you should get about 25 hp and it will be at the Rear Wheels:D

Hmmm I wonder if they changed it in 04? and if they did, then why??

oh, well, thanks for letting me know stink!

-Red

I have the magnaflow cat back already and I think I am gonna take a crack at gutting the cats. Would I still need sims after the cats are empty?

Maybe maybe not, some have not needed them,but if ya do Boomer has a kick ass answer that is pretty cheap and easy to install:rock:

Misterhemi03 said:
I have the magnaflow cat back already and I think I am gonna take a crack at gutting the cats. Would I still need sims after the cats are empty?

yes, you will need sims if you gut your cats.... it would be the same as if you replaced your stock mids with catless mids......

RedSrt007 said:
I agree...I used the plasma, cut open all 4 cats, gutted them, and rewelded them back. Looks completely stock, and dyno'd for a good 28hp

I have another stock set to put on when the time comes....

I went out and double checked, the rears are the stainless mesh, and are the restictive ones, not the fronts...

Please elaborate on how exactly you cut the cats to empty them. This sounds like something I can do if I can find a place to rent a plasma or some welding equipment.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back