Just the Muffler?

Dr.Bleed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've poked around quite a bit regarding this and haven't seemed to find anything specific to my inquiry. I apologize if this information already exists elsewhere on the interwebs but has anyone just swapped out the stock muffler for a Flowmaster or something like that but left the rest of the exhaust, cats included, stock? Would it even be worth messing with without going at least full cat back? I'm not overly concerned with radical horse power gains.

I've seen threads where guys dump the cats and remove the muffler all together but sound wise its not quite my cup of tea. I think ultimately I'm looking for something not quite as obnoxious and raspy as a straight pipe but a little more beefy than stock. I usually just go Borla with most of my vehicles but I wasn't impressed with that oval thing they replace the exit pipes with.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, folks have just changed the muffler, even stopping by your local i.e. Midas for such changes

but I wasn't impressed with that oval thing they replace the exit pipes with.

You are talking about where it comes out the rear of the truck right? If you want to switch the muffler no need to change anything just swap the muffler out

but I wasn't impressed with that oval thing they replace the exit pipes with.

You are talking about where it comes out the rear of the truck right? If you want to switch the muffler no need to change anything just swap the muffler out

Well the oval comment was more in reference to if I decided to get a catback system and went with Borla. (Sorry conflicting thoughts).

Basically what I want to know is if I went with a hiflow performance muffler and left everything else bone stock, exhaust wise, would I notice a difference in sound? I can't seem to find any sound clips on Youtube for such a thing.

yes muffler only will sound good,,,

muffler and remove cats will be loud but good

no muffler no casts sounds like crap..

You will probably need 2 mufflers depending on what you go with. Midas near me was like $200 just to change out a muffler

I bought the cat Delete pipes, and I've got 2 spintechs and the X pipe, I'm hoping to get it all changed out soon

Check out the Exhaust sound clip sticky on the performance page

I dont think you'd like the Borla setup if you dont like raspy sounding exhaust. That exhaust gives you a ton of crackle and pops and screams as the rev's build. It is basically a straight pipe exhaust with a resonator on each bank. I like the sound personally.

I dont think you'd like the Borla setup if you dont like raspy sounding exhaust. That exhaust gives you a ton of crackle and pops and screams as the rev's build. It is basically a straight pipe exhaust with a resonator on each bank. I like the sound personally.

I have a set of Borla Stingers on my 03 Cobra. I loooove it on there. I know they're 2 different beasts but compared to the Bassani or SLP loudmouth, that I consider raspy, the Borla sounds loud and mean but professional.

What I mean by raspy is less like a deep hum and more like a loud tinny sound. Depends on the vehicle I guess (and opinion). I'm new to the V10 game though!

Last edited:
I bought the cat Delete pipes, and I've got 2 spintechs and the X pipe, I'm hoping to get it all changed out soon

Which spintechs did you get?? I wanna hear it without the cats :rock: I just did mine with the prostreet 6000 im sure you saw my thread..

I believe they are super pro street 9000, part #9442 -3" in-3" out , I originally bought them for my Dakota with the X pipe but I'm putting them on this one

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back