Kenne Bell Boost a Pump and Boost a Spark

blackviper

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know some have installed the Boost a Pump with success but I would actually like to hear feedback on both. I'm wondering if there would be a benefit installing the Boost a Spark as well.

Boost a Pump

•STREET (17.5V) •COMPETITION (20V)

A time tested and proven Kenne Bell innovation, the BOOST-A-PUMP™, powers some of the world’s most powerful production street and competition vehicles. The 800HP Shelby Super Snake, one of the World’s Fastest Production Sport Cars, the 242+mph 806HP Koenigsegg CCR, the dual turbo 1100HP Lingenfelter 427" Corvette 900HP Mr. Norm Dodge and 825HP Mr. Norm Camaro and, of course, all those legendary Kenne Bell kits all use the BOOST-A-PUMP™ to reliably produce those big HP numbers - on pump gas! It activates only at full throttle or boost, so it doesn’t “bloat†or “overload†the fuel system at idle or cruise where full time pumps and extra fuel are not required. So, the fuel isn’t heated (gasoline begins to boil at 95°). No “cool can†is necessary. And it’s much easier to install (cut one wire) and more reliable than fuel pumps.

• 1000HP with OEM in tank production pumps*.
•Increases fuel pump flow up to 50% on ANY electric pump(s). 75% for "Competition" 20V.
•Available for single or dual pump applications.
•Easily installed. Uses stock feed wire & fuel lines.
•Eliminates expensive fuel lines and pump upgrades.
•Exclusive built in regulator stabilizes voltage regardless of battery voltage (down to 11V).
•Compensates for reduced voltage/pump delivery from voltage drops by lights and accessories.
•Proven reliability and concept. Tens of thousands sold since 1995.
•Used on all Kenne Bell Supercharger Kits (street & competition) and some of “World’s Most Powerful Production Cars.â€
•Adjustable from 1% to 50% ON DEMAND from driver’s seat. Dual BOOST-A-PUMP™ is not adjustable. Set at max flow.
•Does not affect pump life. Actually increases life of returnless pumps.
•Activated by boost switch (supercharged, turbocharged) or vacuum switch (naturally aspirated).
•Ideal for Nitrous applications.
•Fused circuit protection.
•Attractive anodized red aluminum.
•Easily installed.

•STREET 17.5V - 850HP* •COMPETITION 20V - 1000HP*
*EXAMPLE: Actual HP rating with Ford #M-9407 Dual Pumps depends on injector size. Higher pressure - lower flow injectors use more pump capacity than lower pressure - higher flow injectors.

How it Works - While dyno and street testing, our On Board Data Logger told us that fuel flow was less at night when the lights, stereo etc. were on. The voltage to the pump was varying between 12 and 13.5 volts and fuel was being reduced up to 15%. Further testing in our Fuel Flow Lab indicated that by elevating the voltage to the pump we could safely increase fuel capacity by as much as 50%. The Kenne Bell BOOST-A-PUMPâ„¢ does just that - and it automatically maintains the pre-set voltage or % increase with as little as 10 volts at the battery.

Boost a Spark

At last... an ignition system designed specifically for "coil" engines
So much energy it may have to be dialed back. Activates only at boost or wide open throttle where the engine really needs it!

Recommended for high cylinder pressure (turbocharged, supercharged, nitrous). The ignition system market has changed. The new domestic and import engines no longer use a distributor with one coil. Instead, there are multiple coils - one (1) for each cylinder. Some engines even have a coil mounted on the individual spark plugs. CD ignitions use the high voltage "short spark" principle whereas the BOOST-A-SPARKâ„¢ incorporates the preferred higher energy "long spark" (2500 microseconds vs. 200 for CD's.

Kenne Bell, The Innovators, has done it again! The FIRST high energy non CD system designed specifically for the new 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 cylinder engines. And it's cockpit adjustable from 0-50% to handle any boost or rpm. You are in total control. The revolutionary adjustable Kenne Bell BOOST-A-SPARKâ„¢ merely taps in on one (1) wire and supplies all the energy your engine needs. All stock modern day engines have great ignition systems for start up, idle, part throttle, fuel economy etc. It's at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE where they're marginal. We activate our hot ignition only where it's really needed - at wide open throttle or in boost. In fact, it produces so much energy you may have to turn it down if the plug wires aren't in good shape. And it works equally well on ALL engines, not just the "coil" engines.

GM • Chrysler • Ford • Honda
Subaru • Mitsubishi • Mazda
Toyota • Nissan

Forget the rhetoric and magazine ads and let's tell it like it really is. Never buy an ignition system for your late model "coil" vehicle because you think it will make more HP, help start ups, increase throttle response or improve fuel economy. It will not. You add an ignition system to guarantee it wll fire at higher rpm or boost levels. The Cobra's ignition (see below) was not igniting all the fuel mixture at 8 psi above 2500 rpm. We activated the BOOST-A-SPARKâ„¢ at 3 psi and made 50HP.

"The Boost-A-Spark came through with flying colors, as the engine never missed a beat, even with 8 psi of boost and the plug gap set at .100."
Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords • Adjustable from 0-50% (13.5 - 20 volts).
• Increases spark energy - ALL 12 VOLT IGNITION SYSTEMS. Highest voltage of any ignition system concept.
• New Kenne Bell "Long Spark" Technology increases AND regulates voltage. NOT a CD with an inherently "short spark."
• More energy than CD systems. Over 2 amps at the plug (10 times more than OEM and 4 times more than other aftermarket ignition systems).
• Eliminates engine misfire under boost or high load.
• Ideal for supercharged, turbocharged and nitrous applications.
• Will fire spark plugs with up to .100" gap and 30 psi boost. 2500 microseconds vs. 200 for CD's.
• Regulates ignition voltage within .1 volt, regardless of battery voltage.
• Allows wider plug gaps for MORE POWER. Other ignition systems must run closer plug gaps.
• Automatically adjusts spark energy to meet engine requirements i.e. rich, lean, supercharged, high compression etc.
•Two (2) models. Supercharged / Turbocharged or Normally Aspirated. Pressure or vacuum switch included.
• Attractive red anodized extruded aluminum weatherproof case.
• Developed on the Kenne Bell Dyno.
• Easy to install. Just connect to primary coil wire.

I'm running the boost a pump in mine. My tech had to install a standard Bosch relay in order to make it work. But it works fine.

http://www.kennebell.net/accessories/boostaspark/boostaspark.htm

http://www.kennebell.net/accessories/boostapump/boostapump.htm

Did not use an additional relay for the boost a pump. Discussed with technician, mechanic, and Sean Roe. Did not see how a relay would would affect PCM (fuel press pump signal) differently than without an extra relay. If for some reason it does in the future, can always add one. With or without relay, you are still sending a higher voltage to the pump. Whole purpose of device.

Installed system per directions. Works fine. Set at 20 for now.

Used the 5 psi switch to activate. You can have it always on if you like and do away with the boost switch. I rather tune below 5 psi myself, instead of the BAP changing the tune.

505'sFastestViper. said:
boost a pump is a band aid....

If so, what are you doing to compensate for your voltage to your pump when it drops below 12 volts?

FYI, I have three pumps.

Bone said:
http://www.kennebell.net/accessories/boostaspark/boostaspark.htm

http://www.kennebell.net/accessories/boostapump/boostapump.htm

Did not use an additional relay for the boost a pump. Discussed with technician, mechanic, and Sean Roe. Did not see how a relay would would affect PCM (fuel press pump signal) differently than without an extra relay. If for some reason it does in the future, can always add one. With or without relay, you are still sending a higher voltage to the pump. Whole purpose of device.

Installed system per directions. Works fine. Set at 20 for now.

Used the 5 psi switch to activate. You can have it always on if you like and do away with the boost switch. I rather tune below 5 psi myself, instead of the BAP changing the tune.

You are not having problems w/o the relay?? Both Santeen and I had trouble. The engine would quit as soon as boost activated the BAP.....We went by the recommended instructions provided by Kenne Bell.....spoke with a Kenne Bell tech during the install and he was worthless....Could you email me a copy of the instructions you used?...may they changed something since I bought one?:dontknow:

I wonder where his tech tapped into the harness. And remember, the Can Bus and PCI Bus re differnt systems. That may have something to do with it. Dont know.

Last edited:
TNVIPER said:
You are not having problems w/o the relay?? Both Santeen and I had trouble. The engine would quit as soon as boost activated the BAP.....We went by the recommended instructions provided by Kenne Bell.....spoke with a Kenne Bell tech during the install and he was worthless....Could you email me a copy of the instructions you used?...may they changed something since I bought one?:dontknow:

Mail me your scanner. Then I will email them to you when scanned in.

I dont think there could be much to change in the instructions. It's a pretty simple wiring job..

TNVIPER said:

It's all in the mechanic! :rock: I have Taliban Dan. ;)

Or give Taliban Dan a call. He did the wiring.

TNVIPER said:

Taliban Dan once again, setting the standard. He's home now.

Just considering all options and their differences. Which will provide a better bang for the buck as well as the ease of installation?

TNVIPER said:
could you PM me his #...Thanks..

sent

He drew out a few different wiring diagrams, but still couldn't figure out why another relay would make a difference. That is why we called Sean Roe.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back