Keys

Viper83101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to get a spare key for my truck without having to go through the dealership?

"going mach 2 with my hair on fire!"

Some locksmiths have the ability to cut and program keys now. Contact a local one and see what they can do for you or if they can recommend one.

Some locksmiths have the ability to cut and program keys now. Contact a local one and see what they can do for you or if they can recommend one.
Ok sounds great. I will do that cause I just called the dealership and they want $70 for the key and then $55 on top of that to program it.

Damn.... that's cheap compared to what I paid in 2005

I guess I havent had to buy a key in a while cause that seemed pretty expensive but that may just be the going rate

I guess I havent had to buy a key in a while cause that seemed pretty expensive but that may just be the going rate

Well, you could always leave a chipped key in the truck for the SKIM and just use a no frill Viper Key... 10 bucks

Well, you could always leave a chipped key in the truck for the SKIM and just use a no frill Viper Key... 10 bucks
Well what proposed this whole key deal for me was when I left work today I accidentally left my keys at work cause I ride back and forth to work with a buddy and we are closed down tomorrow through Monday so since I didnt have a spare key for my truck and I didnt realize I had left them until I was almost home I had to turn around and go all the way back to work to get my keys. If I had a spare then it wouldn't have been a big deal and they would have been waiting at work on monday for me when I got back. Plus, I just want a spare that works the truck for any kind of other instances like that if they ever occur.

Well what proposed this whole key deal for me was when I left work today I accidentally left my keys at work cause I ride back and forth to work with a buddy and we are closed down tomorrow through Monday so since I didnt have a spare key for my truck and I didnt realize I had left them until I was almost home I had to turn around and go all the way back to work to get my keys. If I had a spare then it wouldn't have been a big deal and they would have been waiting at work on monday for me when I got back. Plus, I just want a spare that works the truck for any kind of other instances like that if they ever occur.

I understand, I was just providing the cheapest route (it's been done many times). I know, it just sounds crazy

I understand, I was just providing the cheapest route (it's been done many times). I know, it just sounds crazy
What is a "no frill" key? I thought the chip had to have some kind of contact with the actual key during startup? :dontknow

Search "viper key mod"
I searched for it and I found a few threads on people saying they done whatever mod this is but I couldn't find anything in detail of what exactly to do and what key to use for the mod.

No, the clip and SKIM need to see each other

Sent from my iPhone

Where can I find the viper key that you are talking about that will work with my 04 truck?

Go get XX copy's (regular keys without chip) cut of your existing key. Then You tape your existing key (with working chip) inside the steering column cover. Then use any of the regular keys to drive the truck. Every time you start the truck the security system will look for the chip key which always be there. However this renders the security feature useless

Go get XX copy's (regular keys without chip) cut of your existing key. Then You tape your existing key (with working chip) inside the steering column cover. Then use any of the regular keys to drive the truck. Every time you start the truck the security system will look for the chip key which always be there. However this renders the security feature useless
Oh ok I gotcha. Well seeing how I only have the stock security system I doubt I would want to go that route then. Does seem simple enough to do but I dont want to leave it with no kind of security at all

The $75k viper didn't have one, I think you'll be alright without it. I haven't had any trouble in 7 years.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back