Leak Detect Pump Full of Water

HousTEN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else had a problem with their leak detection pump dying because it is full of water?

This component is located just forward of the gas tank and charcoal canisters.

Mine has died twice now because it is full of water. I suspect it is because of some quasi-deep puddles I've driven through, but I suppose it is possible it could be condensate collecting in a low spot.

i had probs with the fuel pump and canister. had to ge a new ones cause truck wa parked for arouns. year with no use at all

Has anyone else had a problem with their leak detection pump dying because it is full of water?

Mine has died twice now because it is full of water. I suspect it is because of some quasi-deep puddles I've driven through, but I suppose it is possible it could be condensate collecting in a low spot.

Are you getting a check engine light because of it failing? If so, what is the code?

My LDP failed and when I went to replace it, it was not full of water.

Very interesting though!

I'm getting a check engine light. The code that I'm getting is p1486. Trying to figure out where the issue is.

The line that goes from the canister towards the front of the truck over the intake manifold and down by the A/C compressor, then I believe there is a 2nd line that goes into the intake manifold but I cannot remember exactly where it connects to the intake.

Never heard of that either. Just take it off and dont worry about it ever again.

I've thought about that, but I'd have to build a custom circuit to shenanigan the computer into thinking everything is OK. Have to get rid of the CEL to get it inspected.

The codes I've gotten are P1494 and P1495

Ive seen similar codes to this dozens of times associated with a gas cap. Not always, but 9/10 its a gas cap. I would replace it first. Evaporative emissions control system faults are often misdiagnosed by the OBD system. ASE Certified sales manager at autozone and advanced auto, and spent some time at dealership service shop. Just my .02

Check for torn hoses associated with the fuel system. They will tear at the hose clamp if they were over tightened or pulled on creating a leak and subsequent CEL

I've thought about that, but I'd have to build a custom circuit to shenanigan the computer into thinking everything is OK. Have to get rid of the CEL to get it inspected.

The codes I've gotten are P1494 and P1495

How are you making out? I have the evap stuff that came off my truck if you need anything.

Ive seen similar codes to this dozens of times associated with a gas cap. Not always, but 9/10 its a gas cap. I would replace it first. Evaporative emissions control system faults are often misdiagnosed by the OBD system. ASE Certified sales manager at autozone and advanced auto, and spent some time at dealership service shop. Just my .02

My truck was throwing a emission code also and i went down to dodge stealership and bought a OEM gas cap (mine had the locking gas cap) and codes went away

look for a loose hose/line then look for a crack in the housing follow all hose/lines check for the same / last have a smoke leak check done

I know this thread is rather old, but I thought my predicament might be worth bringing it back from the dead.

I had this happen to me once so far. It was about 2-3 years ago, when we had a big rain (doesn't flood to often here in So Cal). I didn't get any check engine lights or anything, but when I went to put gas in the tank, it would only allow maybe a 1/10 of a gallon or so befor kicking off. Very frustrating to say the least.

The dealership told me it would cost around $800 or so to fix, and that it was not covered as they had determined it was my fault for puddle jumping on dirt roads (seriously, a stock Ram SRT 10 going off roading...wtf???), but as several other people brought their vehicles to the dealer for similar problems from flooding, they decided to cover it to avoid a class action lawsuit. They ended up replacing the leak detection pump and vapor canister.

My problem is that I'm at work right now, and we got a decent amount of rain today, close to flooding, and Im scared to death to drive home for fear of this happening again, only this time I have no warranty left at all.

Like I said, I know this thread is old, but maybe somebody has had some more experience with this issue in the meantime?

Mainly looking to know if there is any quick, diy fixes, or something of the ilk.

It was definitely the LDP....full of water.

I know this thread is rather old, but I thought my predicament might be worth bringing it back from the dead.

I had this happen to me once so far. It was about 2-3 years ago, when we had a big rain (doesn't flood to often here in So Cal). I didn't get any check engine lights or anything, but when I went to put gas in the tank, it would only allow maybe a 1/10 of a gallon or so befor kicking off. Very frustrating to say the least.

The dealership told me it would cost around $800 or so to fix, and that it was not covered as they had determined it was my fault for puddle jumping on dirt roads (seriously, a stock Ram SRT 10 going off roading...wtf???), but as several other people brought their vehicles to the dealer for similar problems from flooding, they decided to cover it to avoid a class action lawsuit. They ended up replacing the leak detection pump and vapor canister.

My problem is that I'm at work right now, and we got a decent amount of rain today, close to flooding, and Im scared to death to drive home for fear of this happening again, only this time I have no warranty left at all.

Like I said, I know this thread is old, but maybe somebody has had some more experience with this issue in the meantime?

Mainly looking to know if there is any quick, diy fixes, or something of the ilk.

Sounds like the "rollover valve" in the tank filler neck was stuck. Maybe when the LDP pulls a vacuum on the system it resets the "rollover" valve?

Only solution I can see to the LDP getting waterlogged would be to relocate the LDP to a higher spot.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back