Leaking Trans fluid

sapientiam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the other day i walk out into my garage, and my heart sank. I noticed a puddle of pink liquid oozing out from under my truck. It was an aweful feeling. I imagine this is what its like for a parent to see one of their kids hurt, and not knowing how to help them. Its not alot of fluid, im guessing 1-2 cups of transy fluid. not currently leaking. It looks like it only leaks when its hot. Has anybody else had a transmission leak happen with their truck? My truck has 9k miles on it.

all the best,
Michael

maybe the input seal on the tranny,take it to the dealership to be sure.

Mike, is your truck still under warranty? Can you tell where the leak is?
Silly question, but did you check that it is tranny fluid and not coolant?
Did you run it hard at startup when it was cold in the garage? Tough to trouble shoot from the internet.

Bone said:
Mike, is your truck still under warranty? Can you tell where the leak is?
Silly question, but did you check that it is tranny fluid and not coolant?
Did you run it hard at startup when it was cold in the garage? Tough to trouble shoot from the internet.

What he said... only way to tell is to crawl underneath and look up. If it your tranny, it should show signs where it is dripped from.

I crawled under it as far as i could with out jacking it up. I could find no fluid anywhere but on the ground. Its still underwarranty for the next 3 years :). Only time its on in the garage is when im pulling in or backing out. I have an appointment to take it to the dealer, i was wondering if anybody else has had a leaky transy. I tasted the fluid, its oily and not sweet. I had a radiator leak on her earler in the year. different fluid.

Michael

Micheal, It not a good practice to taste fluid, feel it, but don't put it in your mouth.

Really I would watch it for awhile. it might not have come from your truck at all. I would drive it around til everything is warmed and then check it out and see if anything is leaking.

I'm just trying to save you a trip to the dealership, and the more you know what going on, the more the mechanic will know where to start his repair.

Check around the area that the dipstick goes into the case. Also check the perimeter around the pan gasket. When an automatic sits for a while the fluid from the convertor drains back to the pan and the fluid level rises about an inch. If the pan gaslet or dipstick tube seal leaks, it will be more evident after sitting a while.

iraqivet01 said:
Micheal, It not a good practice to taste fluid, feel it, but don't put it in your mouth.
Don't worry, he is a professional! :p

Its definately the truck. Nothing else parks in my garage cept my motorcycle.
Nothing wrong with *twitch* tasteing automotive fluid *twitch* it won't kill you.

I guess when i get off work today, i'll drive the truck and let it warm up, and see if it leaks again. There has been no addition fluid in a few days.

Thanks everybody!

Michael

i had the same problem on my 05 qc with 6700 miles. it was leaking from the pan bolts........just went out to look, its leaking again. guess ill take it to the stealership this week.

Bone said:
Don't worry, he is a professional! :p

Hey Let's get Mikey to try it... Hey Mkey... Is this water or battery acid?

Just kidding Michael, but if automotive fluids will kill a dog, it got to be......Bad for you.:D :D

How you find your leak, or everything works out . Keep us posted.

Thanks

If you have not changed your transmission fluid to Mobil 1 ATF the pink fluid is not from your transmission. Your oem trans fluid is shit grey-green-brown.

I am willing to bet that the fluid you see is power steering fluid. Check your cap on the power steering reservoir. The cap will sometimes vibrate loose. Tighten it finger tight. You will still see a little drip unless you clean the drip trail that has been created. You may need to add some power steering fluid.

I believe that I remember two instances of the fittings breaking on the power steering unit too. If it is not the cap then have the dealer check the fittings.

iraqivet01 said:
Just kidding Michael, but if automotive fluids will kill a dog, it got to be......Bad for you.:D :D

How you find your leak, or everything works out . Keep us posted.

Thanks
He really is a professional, Pharmacist. Where do you think we get our morphine hook-up at the Nats?!

Always remember, the antidote for radiator fluid (the sweet fluid) is alcohol. So make sure you drink lots of beer when ever you are working on your truck.

And Prof, when i get home, i'll go check my trucks power steering mechanism.
I noticed yesterday, the fluid, which i hadn't cleaned up. actually soaked into my garage floor. OOPS.

Michael Ingram

I had this same problem last week, Turned out that the converter seal had dried out on the truck and had began to seep. It wasnt alot but it was enough to drive a man crazy. I actually used some transmission seal conditioner and it fixed the problem right up. Didnt have much of a choice seeing I was 1500 miles away from home.

Ask your wife if she knows anyone with a tranny leak and hope she says no!
It may not be from your truck.:dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back