Leather seats protection

I have been wondering about this as well. I used to have an old Ferrari and the guys on Ferrarichat all used one product and I cant remember what it was. I will do a search.

Well I found the product... leatherique. I now rememeber why I didnt order any. My car had a near perfect 25 year old interior and couldnt justify the cost of this stuff. I hope someone has an economical leather care productout there.

The best I have heard is to treat it like "skin". Wash it with a damp well wrung cloth, wet in a mild soapy solution, then rinse with just a damp well wrung towel or cloth. Air dry.....The cleaner of choice, I think is Lexol. I use Lexol instead of the mild soap. They also make a "preservative" type product as well. I'm sure they work fine. but I personally stay away from this type of product. (preservative)

I personally use Leatherique on my truck and my wife's car. In my experience it works great, it's not like cheap-ass ArmorAll where everything ends up greasy/slimey. When done everything is nice and clean... not sticky, greasy, smelly (smells like new leather) or shiny. I also use it all over my dash, steering wheel and rubber parts of my interior, same results. I bought it when they were doing some kind of promotion and got both parts in very big bottles (maybe half liter?) for about $50.

One thing of note... if you live somewhere where it doesn't ever get warm, you might want to look for something else. Part of the process involves 'baking' the first part in the vehicle.

I have been using "Reflections advanced leather care" by Mothers,its works very well and gives back that like new leather car smell inside!

Kind of hard to beat Good Old "Saddle Soap".... Turns Leather into Butter :)

I seem to remember something about Lexol eating away at the stitching. :dontknow: I don't think it is that strong.... Its like a lotion.
That being said, I use it and my seats still look fine.

With Saddle Soap you wouldn't have gotten the cracks. It has been around for about 150 years and is still one of the best things you can do for Leather You Use... Do you really think all those "Cowboys" go get the Fancy Leather products to put on their Saddles...

Comes in a "Paste Wax" Can. You can add a few drops of watter to a Rag and use it like a Cleaner (and it does Clean Really Well). After it is clean you then use it without water and it is like a wax going deep into the leather. Makes the leather as soft as a Well Worn Jacket... :)

It will put natural oils back into the leather and give it strength to keep the cracks where they are now, but nothing can "Repair" the cracks. You can have the leather pieces replaced, Would only be a couple hundred bucks. :)

Most Upholstery Shops have the Mopar Leather Book/Catalog to order the correct color to be Original.. :)

Da1Chief said:
Kind of hard to beat Good Old "Saddle Soap".... Turns Leather into Butter :)
DA1Chief be's knowin shit!!!!!

Well, here i go again...ya'll are gonna think I'm a vendor........naaaa just have some stuff that works.....saddle soap followed by Harley's leather cleaner and dressing (used for riding leathers) I read the label back when and I think it has a little mink oil in it but it sure does a good job and keeps the leather soft and pliable. Use it on my leathers, my motorcycle seat, the seats in my old 97 Lariat, which by the way have zero cracks after parking my ass on them for 200K miles. clean first with saddle soap, then the Harley leather dressing and let it sit (I sometimes leave it on overnight) then wipe it off thoroughly. It softens and buffs the leather to a shine. Anyway, it works so there's one idea for ya'll and both are reasonably priced, especially the saddle soap.

For bad cracks you could try soaking overnight in neatsfoot oil...I've saved several baseball gloves that were all cracked after being left out in the rain, but never tried to save a carseat, but it will darken the color considerably and depending on brand, some of it stinks but I bet it would work on a badly cracked seat or at least help. It won't seal the cracks though if they are bad enough.

Last edited:
+1 Cruster, No School Like the Old School, Some things just don't need fix'n. I agree with both the Harley and the Mink Oil... :)

wesalbert said:
I seem to remember something about Lexol eating away at the stitching. :dontknow: I don't think it is that strong.... Its like a lotion.
That being said, I use it and my seats still look fine.
If you do a search, (you don't have to read the info from the Lexol link below) you'll find that it's the alkalinity of saddle soap that has the potential of eating away at stitching. Here's a link that can help.
http://www.lexol.com/index.html
here's another one:
http://www.autogeek.net/nosasopl.html
and yet another (all basically the same theme)
http://www.properautocare.com/leatmytofsad.html

Last edited:
Black Venom-'04 said:
hahahah ...havent made a decision yet, but the internet is the best way us "young bucks "do our h.w now a days :p :D

Hey, I Google everything, not criticising, just teasin":burnout:

Don't forget though, you have a hell of a resource on this site with all the "car nut, gear head, perfectionists". ;) ;) ;)

Cruster said:
Frickin kids....they never listen. Gotta use the "new stuff":D :D :D :D :D

Yea, I know... One of these days they will Learn, Some Things Just Don't Need to be Improved. Like you said, if it isn't "New and Improved" it can't be any good... :D

All those individuals that use Saddles and Leather Boots keep using the Saddle Soap, Mink Oil, and Harley's because they just love seeing all that Fancy Stiching just Desolve away..... :D

I wonder how they can explain all the Old Leather Goods that are still around after 50 years????? :dontknow:

Cruster said:
Hey, I Google everything, not criticising, just teasin":burnout:

Don't forget though, you have a hell of a resource on this site with all the "car nut, gear head, perfectionists". ;) ;) ;)

yea i know:D , i def. take everything the guys on the forum say with the upmost respect, i know you guys really know your trucks and i hope to learn alot

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back