• Kumho Ecsta STX - VR Rated - treadwear 420 - around $190

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Cooper Zeon XST - VR Rated - treadwear 420 - around $200

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • General Grabber UHP - VR Rated - treadwear 320 - around $170

Votes: 17 18.3%

• Total voters
Voodoo said:
Just got the Khumo's and have 120 miles on them and there ride is excellent. Going threw the mountains today on my way back to SD nothing to exciting ( 80 to 95 mph )but the sidewall seams a little spongy but I have not driven the truck in several months so it might just be me. I will give more info when I have some time on them. ohhh yea!!! The traction seams great but only stood on it once :D :D :D

I noticed the same thing with the Khumo's... sidewall seemed a bit spongy... but they hook rather well. Put 2700 miles on them to the Nat's and back with zero issues. Good in the rain...with no hydroplane issues at all. The ride is excellent.:D

oldguysrt10 said:
Weights per tire (305/40-22) as listed in the poll for your consideration are:
Pirelli 43
Continental 43
Yokohama/both 47
BF Goodrich 41
Kuhmo 46
Cooper 52
General 43

and I added Toyo Proxes at 45

Reducing spun (tires, pulleys, flywheel) weight seems pretty important in the quarter.

oldguy

Wow great added info...BFGs look to be the Choice...at least for me :elefant:

Ok, I dont want to sound like an idjit, but would someone explain to me what bump steer is? I have heard the term before but not sure what it is. I also am very displeased with the way the OE Pirellis are in the rain. As most people probably know, the weather here in Washington is very wet here and with the way the OE tires are, doesnt allow me to drive my truck in the rain much, which is a shame. The OE tires really like to hydroplane too much for my tastes!!!!

i did not vote as i have only had the stock tires on my truck(pirelli) ....but this is the best info going on our truck tires...i'm getting ready to buy new tires soon and i'm goimg to make my mind up on what i read here ....one thing is for sure i'm not buying the same tires that came on my truck..i went thru 3 sets of stock tires(pirelli) in 2 years and 30,xxxx miles.....please keep the info coming.............

BigDave1970 said:
Ok, I dont want to sound like an idjit, but would someone explain to me what bump steer is? I have heard the term before but not sure what it is. I also am very displeased with the way the OE Pirellis are in the rain. As most people probably know, the weather here in Washington is very wet here and with the way the OE tires are, doesnt allow me to drive my truck in the rain much, which is a shame. The OE tires really like to hydroplane too much for my tastes!!!!

Bump steer is a result of revising the geometry of the steering components when you lower a truck. Tires should have no affect on bump steer.

I have mentioned this in past threads regarding tires and the Pirelli's are a very square shouldered tire. This design tends to lead to them following ruts. Has nothing to do with the tire brand. It's the design of the tire.

You are correct, the Pirellis hydroplane like hell. Now for the funny part. I found on mine that the more they wore, the less they hydroplaned.

Just prior to getting rid of my truck, I put Toyo Proxies on it. They were fine in the dry, but in the wet they were 100 times worse in the wet. No traction at all.

If you want more information regarding Bump Steer, do a search on it and find a link that I posted in the past.

My truck is bone stock there are roads over here that I had a hard time keeping it in one lane even at lower speeds, all I did was change to conti crosscontacts now it rides great no darting it is not the same truck.

i have the BFG's on my rig and I love them....best part for me is not a common thing though, I love the stiff sidewalls which provide protection for the rims on the streets of NYC! the truck handles better in all conditions and they look totally bad ass:D check out the pics below

Attachments

• DSC00074.jpg
    DSC00074.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00075.jpg
    DSC00075.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC00076.jpg
    DSC00076.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00077.jpg
    DSC00077.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00359.jpg
    DSC00359.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 59
Right now i have the Pirelli on...General grabber UHP was gonna
be my next choice...By the way the price on your tires are crazzzzzy...
Up here there asking 340.00 ea for the UHP...I think im gonna go
shopping down at your place...Next spring im probably gonna need a set...
I'll keep in touch...:D

my dad owns a tire shop and i bought a set of Cooper Zeon's and have had no probs. the ride great and look even better. dealer cost was 136.00 per tire.

fast fred said:
i did not vote as i have only had the stock tires on my truck(pirelli) ....but this is the best info going on our truck tires...i'm getting ready to buy new tires soon and i'm goimg to make my mind up on what i read here ....one thing is for sure i'm not buying the same tires that came on my truck..i went thru 3 sets of stock tires(pirelli) in 2 years and 30,xxxx miles.....please keep the info coming.............

I got 13,000 out of my first set. only put about 2500 miles on the new set. still have nobbies on the front tires.

I drove Voodoo (Kevins) Truck today, and WOW those khumos were impressive!! 1st gear, STOMP on the throttle @2k and take it to redline and NO spin....shift to 2nd, and same thing...no spin!

Not sure how it does cornering, but in a straight line I was very impressed.

-Red

Kevan said:
Also of note:
There are TWO different Pirelli Scorpion P-Zeros!
One has a treadwear of 320AA; the other is 420AA.

Our trucks came with the 320AA version.

I've asked this before and was told RC and QC use the same tire stock but...

The factory service manual says the QC has four season and the RC has three season tires?
Read somewhere else that they have different DOT codes?

Does anyone know for sure?:confused:

RedSrt007 said:
I drove Voodoo (Kevins) Truck today, and WOW those khumos were impressive!! 1st gear, STOMP on the throttle @2k and take it to redline and NO spin....shift to 2nd, and same thing...no spin!

Not sure how it does cornering, but in a straight line I was very impressed.

-Red
should have seen me launch on the way home................ i am VERY impressed with them, did my slight rev and slip method and was just gone!!!!! just need someone with more hp to try them :D

doneo said:
i have the BFG's on my rig and I love them....best part for me is not a common thing though, I love the stiff sidewalls which provide protection for the rims on the streets of NYC! the truck handles better in all conditions and they look totally bad ass:D check out the pics below

Good enough for ME!!!

You mind giving us the size(s), Don? :dontknow: :eek:

Black1 said:
Good enough for ME!!!

You mind giving us the size(s), Don? :dontknow: :eek:

Jake,you want to know what size his rubber is ????:dontknow:

I bought a set of MasterCraft tires through a local tire shop..They are not bad..I dont drive my truck as fast as most of you..Never been over 100 I would guess..So these tires are good enough. I think they are made by Cooper, have a deep tread, wear rating is same as Pirellis I think..I paid 200.00 ea out the door. They are decent in the rain..

I just wanted to say that My continentals are a 420 treadwear and AA not the 320 listed in the poll

Goose said:
I just wanted to say that My continentals are a 420 treadwear and AA not the 320 listed in the poll

I only listed the tires from tirerack and discount tire...those are the most commom tires out there...there are probably 10 others at least...

I have 15000 miles on the stock set of Perillis on the red truck and they are not quite 1/2 worn.

When the time comes for replacement it will be between pirellis, Nitto.s, and BFG KDW 2 TA's. I have used and run all 3 in the past and had good results.

With what some have said about the Kumo's I may look at them also. I put a set of 60 series Kumo's on my daughters Toyota truck a few months ago and they seem as good as the Michelin Pilot's that came off.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back