Letter From Chrysler

ccfeyh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recieved a letter from Chrysler last Friday, The want to "borrow" my truck for between 5-10 working days, they will provide me with a loaner car, $500.00 and return my truck to me with a full tank of gas and an extra 75 miles on it.

The truck will be dyno'd for emissions testing. If they find an issue with the emissions system they will fix it at their cost. Anyone else recieved this letter in the mail? I alkready have my answer, give up my truck for up to 10 days - not a chance.

your the first I;ve heard of to get this letter but I'm with ya... no way in hell someone is taking my truck for 5 to 10 days.

Hey Carl tell them they can barrow my truck in Florida, to perform there tests. I have no problem giving it up for 10 days hell they can keep it for a few months if they need to!

I would request 100,000.00 in cash up front, if there is so much as a scratch, You get to keep the 100,000.00, plus the truck and any remaining balance on the loan is paid in full by Chrysler.....

Without that protection, you may get the truck back with half the parts stolen

VJ

The letter also stated that your truck will be returned to you cleaned and detailed. Plus it would be at a secured facility (not a dealership) the entire time.

But I'm not parting with my truck for 5-10 days. If they wanted it for a day, then we'd talk about it. Plus if the loaner was guarenteed to be a brand new Chally SRT8, they might get my attention.

I'm serious Carl if they could use my truck somehow, it's there's. I'm not worried as long as I have a loaner. Maybe they will break it and fix it on their dime too. My truck is finally working my last nerves!

joemags54 said:
What do you think this is all about? :dontknow:
Up coming parts inventory/supply for when all these trucks need smog parts sweety:D ;) :itsme:

And if they used my truck they would have to start the warranty all over, a full 7 year 100,000 miles

Last edited:
I got the same letter too! And maybe if they doubled that number to $1000 MAYBE! The way i see it, the "at no cost to you" means tuning my truck to get the best possible emissions results, and NOT the best HP results. Just a thought?:dontknow:

Wifey said:
Up coming parts inventory/supply for when all these trucks need smog parts sweety:D ;) :itsme:

And if they used my truck they would have to start the warranty all over, a full 7 year 100,000 miles
You people in California, and your clean air............:p :D

Clean air WTF is that ----If we were to breath that crap we would all die :D .......Have you checked out the validity of these letters ---never heard of such a thing:dontknow: :dontknow:

joemags54 said:
You people in California, and your clean air............:p :D

VIPR PWR said:
Clean air WTF is that ----If we were to breath that crap we would all die :D .......Have you checked out the validity of these letters ---never heard of such a thing:dontknow: :dontknow:
I bet this letter was sent from the Samalians with all the money they can't get out of their country..............:p :D

Emissions Test Program using Customer-Owned Chrysler Vehicles
The Federal government’s Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), as well as the California Air Resources Board (CARB), require vehicle manufacturers to perform emissions tests on customer owned and operated vehicles that are 1-2 years old (between 10,000-50,000 miles) and 3-4 years old (over 50,000 miles) to verify the long term robustness of their exhaust emissions systems. This required test program is called the In-Use Verification Program (IUVP).

Chrysler works with Roush Industries and Automotive Testing & Development Services (ATDS) to procure and test customer-owned vehicles for IUVP emissions testing.

The government has guidelines on how to do an IUVP program that all the automotive companies must adhere to. Below is a summary of the Chrysler process:
  • 1) Chrysler downloads mail lists containing the owners for each engine/vehicle test group near a test facility, then using a random number generator, assigns random numbers to each. Roush or ATDS sends mailings to the customers with the lowest random numbers.
    2) Roush or ATDS collects the customer reply information and sends it to Chrysler, who then determines their eligibility and the order in which to call the replying customers for procurement, based on their random numbers.
    3) Roush or ATDS contacts the customers and goes through a telephone questionnaire (if applicable), arranges for their rental vehicles, and sets up the pickup location, date and time with each customer. Note: Vehicles must be tested in as-is condition. Therefore, if there is a safety issue with a vehicle, it is usually rejected from the program.
    4) Roush or ATDS meets with the customer at the appointed time and location, inspects their vehicle, and transports the vehicle to the test site. The customer is provided a rental vehicle with a full tank of gas.
    5) There are currently four locations at which Chrysler IUVP emissions testing is performed:
    • Chrysler Chelsea Proving Grounds (CPG), in Chelsea, Michigan
      Chrysler Technology Center (CTC), in Auburn Hills, Michigan
      Environmental Testing Corporation (ETC), in Aurora, Colorado
      Automotive Testing & Development Services, Inc. (ATDS), in Ontario, California
      • Note: For customer-owned vehicles in the California area, some are emissions tested right at the ATDS facility in California and others are procured by ATDS, then shipped to the Chrysler Proving Grounds in Chelsea, Michigan for testing, then shipped back to California when done. If customer vehicles are shipped, they are shipped in an enclosed car hauler (looks like a semi-truck with sides and a roof to protect the vehicle).
    6) Emissions testing consists of prepping the vehicle, securing it on a dynamometer and connecting an exhaust gas analyzer to the tailpipe. The vehicle’s tires rotate on the dynamometer rollers as the vehicle is “driven”, simulating both city and highway driving.
    7) Some vehicles are also selected for passive evaporative emissions testing (ex. tires and plastics give off small amounts of various gases). These vehicles are put into a sealed room for 2 days, while the air quality is periodically monitored. They are also ORVR tested (On-board Refueling Vapor Recovery). For this test, the vehicle is in a different type of sealed room, where the air quality is continuously monitored while the fuel tank is being filled. This tests how well the canister in the vehicle prevents gasoline fumes from escaping into the atmosphere when refueling the vehicle.
    8) Once all testing is completed, the vehicle is picked up by Roush or ATDS, who cleans it and fills the gas tank, then returns it to the customer and picks up the rental vehicle. An incentive check is given to the customer at that time.
If you are reading this narrative, chances are you have received a letter asking if you would like to participate in this IUVP emissions test program. Please consider participating, as this helps insure the quality of air for all of us.

If you have any questions, you may call the phone number at the bottom of your letter or contact a Chrysler IUVP emissions engineer at (248) 944-0158.

Thank you,

Chrysler Group LLC
Emissions Certification Department
Chrysler Technology Center
Auburn Hills, Michigan

Django said:
They probably want to assist CARB in banning these trucks in California.....

D
............................ BINGO!...:elefant: :elefant:

Mine is an '04 and was just smoged for the first time...PASSED!...:aetsch:

Quick

EPA1.jpg

I just talked to these folks and was informed that the EPA requires all manufacturers to perform these tests. for those people in Calif, your vehicle will be in Ontario for the testing and it would only require 3 days to be tested for emissions. They will not make any changes to your vehicle, they are testing them as is and then report their findings.

If something should go wrong with your vehicle during the test, Chrysler would at no cost to you, repair the item.

Was a very nice lady and she talked to me for quite some time to convince me into letting them test my truck. Final answer, NOPE.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back