Life Decisions

SilvrSRT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd pass this along.

What would you do?....you make the choice. Don't look for a punch line, there isn't one. Read it anyway. My question is: Would you have made the same choice?

At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning-disabled children, the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never be forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school and its dedicated staff, he offered a question: "When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does is done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other children do. He cannot understand things as other children do. Where is the natural order of things in my son?"

The audience was stilled by the query.

The father continued. "I believe that when a child like Shay, physically and mentally handicapped comes into the world, an opportunity to realize true human nature presents itself, and it comes in the way other people treat that child."
[FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]

[/FONT]Then he told the following story:

Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were playing baseball. Shay asked, "Do you think they'll let me play?" Shay's father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their team, but the father also understood that if his son were allowed to play, it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence to be accepted by others in spite of his handicaps.

Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked (not expecting much) if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance and said, "We're losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth inning."

Shay struggled over to the team's bench and, with a broad smile, put on a team shirt. His Father watched with a small tear in his eye and warmth in his heart. The boys saw the father's joy at his son being accepted. In the bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still behind by three. In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and played in the right field. Even though no hits came his way, he was obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field, grinning from ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands. In the bottom of the ninth inning, Shay's team scored again. Now, with two outs and the bases loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was scheduled to be next at bat.
At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance to win the game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat Everyone knew that a hit was all but impossible because Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly, much less connect with the ball.
[/FONT]
However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher, recognizing that the other team was putting winning aside for this moment in Shay's life, moved in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least make contact. The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay. As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball right back to the pitcher.

The game would now be over. The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and could have easily thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shay would have been out and that would have been the end of the game.

Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the first baseman's head, out of reach of all team mates. Everyone from the stands and both teams started yelling, "Shay, run to first! Run to first!" Never in his life had Shay ever run that far, but he made it to first base. He scampered down the baseline, wide-eyed and startled.

Everyone yelled, "Run to second, run to second!" Catching his breath, Shay awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and struggling to make it to the base. By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had the ball ... The smallest guy on their team who now had his first chance to be the hero for his team. He could have thrown the ball to the second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitcher's intentions so he, too, intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman's head. Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead of him circled the bases toward home.

All were screaming, "Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay"

Shay reached third base because the opposing shortstop ran to help him by turning him in the direction of third base, and shouted, "Run to third! Shay, run to third!"
[/FONT]As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams, and the spectators, were on their feet screaming, "Shay, run home! Run home!" Shay ran to home, stepped on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who hit the grand slam and won the game for his team.

"That day", said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face, "the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity into this world".

Shay didn't make it to another summer. He died that winter, having never forgotten being the hero and making his father so happy, and coming home and seeing his Mother tearfully embrace her little hero of the day!

Great story!

Thanks for sharing, brings a little perspective into our everyday lives. ;)

Very good story, kind of made me misty thinking how lucky I am to have three beautiful, healthy children!!

Thanks!

Thank You for the reminder ...that I am blessed with a wonderful Wife, great friends, and family... That despite how bad of a day I am having...there are wonderful people out there that will elevate you when your down....and for that I will always be blessed.

Thanks for kicking my day off with my head up.:D

Now that is an awesome story.....love to hear things like this....As alot of you all know, my nephew has CP. I brag about him all the time and even talk about him on a few threads now and then.....So a story like this really makes you believe that there are good people out there. Here's a few pics of him making a funny face (which he makes me laugh all the time) and here he is with his walker.......

Attachments

• nolanfunnyface.jpg
    nolanfunnyface.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 23
  • nolin 008.jpg
    nolin 008.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 24
Wow, what a story....thanks for bringing something great into our lives today....

bikertat said:
Now that is an awesome story.....love to hear things like this....As alot of you all know, my nephew has CP. I brag about him all the time and even talk about him on a few threads now and then.....So a story like this really makes you believe that there are good people out there. Here's a few pics of him making a funny face (which he makes me laugh all the time) and here he is with his walker.......

Maybe next time we have an event/mopar nats, you can bring him along?! :rock:

Thanks for the story slvr :)

RedSrt007 said:
Maybe next time we have an event/mopar nats, you can bring him along?! :rock:

Thanks for the story slvr :)

I think that is a great idea....he loves the truck.....I could only imagine what he would think seeing all the trucks together.......:burnout:

bikertat said:
I think that is a great idea....he loves the truck.....I could only imagine what he would think seeing all the trucks together.......:burnout:

Not to mention (if its ok with you) a ride in the viper :burnout:

I have read this story a couple times and have been trying to figure out how to respond to it.

At times, it's absolutley amazing the cruelity that kids can inflict on each other. And this can be either physical or mental.

Then you read a story like this and it makes you wonder why this cannot happen more often. It's really sad that it does not happen all the time.

When my daughter was in the 5 to 7 year old range, we had a neighbor with a daughter the same age. They allowed her to do whatever she wanted and she was the type that would single one person out of the group to torment. Sometimes it was my daughter, sometimes it wasn't. Regardless if we caught our daughter acting the same way, play time was over and she was punished in some form. At that time she thought we were being mean.

Well these folks moved out of the neighborhood and it wasn't until my daughter went to highschool that she met up with this girl again. Well she was still the same, and for the most part had no friends.

It wasn't to long after that they had met up again that my daughter thanked both my wife and I for not letting her act like Elisibeth did.

It's always nice to have a child thank you for how you raised them.

Sorry for rambling. I'm tired.

What a great pitcher for Shay!

Great story, it is so hard for to look beyond yourself and your immediate needs. The fact that the pitcher and the other team saw the potential to make this game special just shows that kids in sports "get it" . WOW, Thanks for sharing the story.
Mark

Thanks guys but I can only take credit for posting it here. My wife sent it to me so she gets the props. Your right. This should be a common occurance but unfortunately, people (not just kids) put winning a game before a persons feelings but as you can tell from the story, everyone came out a winner that day.

I'm sorry I wasn't here to see this post yesterday.... I really do appreciate it... Not only is it a beautifully uplifted and encouraging story. But the emotions make all this copious snot come out'a my nose alot easier too..........

We have unfortunately been raised on quotes by Vince Lombardi....("Winning.......is the ONLY thing") and others who demand that we win at all cost.....and I'm sure that for those who play pro sports that these encouragements are useful.

I'm not sure whether this lovely story is an actual event or not..... In this day and age it seems kinda improbable that ALL the kids on the opposing team would discern the pitcher's valiant sense of compassion and ALL get on board at the same time...... But validating the story is not important....

What's important is that in this frightful age of heartless violence, that the notion of selfless love still burns brightly in the hearts and minds of human beings....

This gives us all a nice possibility (for which) to get up in the morning.....or whenever it is that you get up......;) :D

..............maybe there's hope for this world after all.................

"Run Shay, RUN........................!!!!!"

me

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back