lightning engines

vipertrk73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a neighbor who was a friend.he had a modified ford lightning believe it was an 04. I sold him my zex Nitrous kit I took of my truck and installed it for him.I recommend he use the smallest 50 shot jets to give it an intercooler effect .but you know how those lightning owners are knowing everything and all.so he puts the 150 jets in and wanted me to take it for a ride which I did.apparently the little engine that couldn't didn't like the nos.at bout 6300 rpm the rods came apart .it knocked the starter mounting pad off put two holes in the block as well as tore up the pan.the rings looked like a slinky ,needless to say he was pissed.seeing how he had a used engine I offered to pay for half of another used engine.he wanted a brand new one.I even offered to pay half of a johnny lightning long block he said no.he wanted it stock like it was new.so he sued me and my insurance company for 10 grand.that Oem long block was 8 plus labor.he went ahead and had it done by the local ford dealer.it never ran right again he finally sold the truck.we settled out of court for 4500- his lawyers fees.so he got screwed.the moral of the story don't ever drive a ford lightning.I heard how weak the rods are from top builders like johnny lightning.it may cost u a fortune.pos

Last edited:
150 shot will do that. The stock rods are pretty weak in these motors. They can only hold 450-500 hp reliably. You also didnt mention anything about the tune. Was it modified for nitrous?

Theres gotta be more to the story than your telling though. How could he sue over that?

I know he had a sct tune.don't know what his mods were.

Because I was driving my insurance company said his company was primary mine Gieco was secondary.but he sued me in small claims court which got moved to real court and they said it was cheaper to settle admitting no fault.

If that truck spun up 6300rpm it was a TUNE problem not the n2o!

Well thats horse shit IMO. One of the many reasons I dont work on other peoples shit. Neither you nor the owner obviously knew anything about his truck and he obviously wasnt a member on a Lightning forum or chances are he would have been a bit more educated. Not a knock on you btw.

Last edited:
The truck will shift at 5300 unless rev limiter is altered in tune IMO that guys is a tool! But why were you driving ? Make is bitch ass drive and hit the switch himself

I didn't know anything about his truck .don't think he did either.just thought I'd take it for a spin.

I remember he said stock if it exceeded 12psi boost it would bypass blower until key was reset.but he had that disabled? I know he changed the pullies cuz he hammered the top one on or off and messed the blower snout up and had to replace it.then bought a u shaped puller made for it..

Had a neighbor who was a friend.he had a modified ford lightning believe it was an 04. I sold him my zex Nitrous kit I took of my truck and installed it for him.I recommend he use the smallest 50 shot jets to give it an intercooler effect .but you know how those lightning owners are knowing everything and all.so he puts the 150 jets in and wanted me to take it for a ride which I did.apparently the little engine that couldn't didn't like the nos.at bout 6300 rpm the rods came apart .it knocked the starter mounting pad off put two holes in the block as well as tore up the pan.the rings looked like a slinky ,needless to say he was pissed.seeing how he had a used engine I offered to pay for half of another used engine.he wanted a brand new one.I even offered to pay half of a johnny lightning long block he said no.he wanted it stock like it was new.so he sued me and my insurance company for 10 grand.that Oem long block was 8 plus labor.he went ahead and had it done by the local ford dealer.it never ran right again he finally sold the truck.we settled out of court for 4500- his lawyers fees.so he got screwed.the moral of the story don't ever drive a ford lightning.I heard how weak the rods are from top builders like johnny lightning.it may cost u a fortune.pos

hey, hey, hey....who gives a shit about all the technical crap....the dudes point is "don't ever drive a Ford L"......:dontknow::D

Yes manually shifting.not saying I wasent in the wrong but it was a costly mistake.and like my post said he was a friend

I don't mean to be an ass but it is guys like you that give nitrous a bad reputation. nitrous in the hands of the uneducated will destroy engines every time!!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back