Little League Baseball Star

ViperTruck2933

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is about my 9 y/o son. If you are offended by unabated braggery or excessive pride please stop reading now. :D I am so proud of him, I just need to share.:) Sorry if it's a little bit long.

My son started Little League ball this year for the first time. At 9 years old, he hopped right into the "Kid Pitch" level with no prior experience, no T-ball and no coach pitch, just alot of front yard ball with the neighborhood kids using a tennis ball. The teams are made up mostly of 9-11 year olds. Most of the kids on the other teams have been playing together for a couple of years. They play full Little League rules. Fast pitch by the kids, no holds barred on stealing bases, etc....

Somehow our team, the "Marlins" ended up with mostly 9 year olds. Most of the players were playing for the first time in organized sports. The season started out pretty rough with the team losing all of their games, sometimes by heftly margins. Most of the other teams had kids who dwarfed my son and his team mates in size (he is also small for his age). Several inconsiderate teammates (or should I say inconsiderate parents) quit the team because of the losses. The Marlins were left with only 8 players (sometimes only 7 because things do come up). But they played on usually both outnumbered and outsized. They played regularly with only one or 2 outfielders. Man was it tough watching them get trounced so badly night after night. :(

It turns out that my son is a natural hitter. He eventually became the lead off hitter and plays 2nd, 3rd and short stop (mostly 3rd base). He has made some awesome fielding plays, getting to some balls that I thought there would be no way he could get to. Most nights he makes about 5 plate appearances and usually gets on base 4 out of 5 times (via walk, hit or hit by pitch:argh: ). He is tough to get out and has a great eye for balls and strikes. Last night he was 4 out of 5 (3 hits/1 walk) with the only out being a line drive caught by their short stop.:p

Anyways, the long and short of it is that the team hung in there and didn't give up. Their perseverence finally paid off. Their last 3 games were 2 against the Rangers (best team in the league by far) and 1 against the Angels, who had smacked the Marlins around all year. First game against the Rangers ended in a tie 13-13. 2nd game against the mighty Rangers was the Marlins' first win 13-11). Their last regular season game was last night, a 17-13 win over the Angels. The kids' reactions were priceless when they beat the Rangers after getting pounded by them 5 or 6 times earlier in the year. :D

Yesterday I got a call from the All Star coach congratualting my son for making the All Star team. :rock: :rock: :rock: I couldn't be more proud of my baby. :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Congrats Son, I am so proud of you. :)

Never quit.;)

Last edited:
That's an awesome story!! You have every right to brag unashamedly!!!!

Congrats to the Marlins, and Congrats to Clayton for making the All-Stars!!!!
:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
Heart warming stuff right there!!!!!

friggin awesome, makes the win's so much sweeter. :rock:

Thats cool, I hope he stays with it. Baseball is very rewarding sport to be apart of.

Wonderful story!

Keep us posted.

Nothing wrong with oozing love for your son!

Awesome!!! Always brag about your kids to us!

Plus his dad's gotta cool car!!!

Thanks for the props and thanks for listening. Here's a pic of him at the plate. Note how much bigger the opposing catcher is. :eek:

092.JPG

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back