Local Birds

Django said:
Lynette and I are both major birders....

We have a goodly number of Western Tanagers, Orioles, and others that frequent our pond and waterfall in the backyard.....

We used to do hummingbirds big time when we lived in Aspen, but not in California.... One summer between May 9th and September 1st we used 185 lbs of suger.... No horseshit......

Here's a cool video I found on You Tube and some great hummer piks...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yujQFrXhG4c&NR=1

Enjoy

D

Tim
Are those your pics of the Hummers? Great Shots

martinsrt said:
this is our local bird, a thunderbird :D

the birds that fly around over there are nice
101856235_5_CwkA.jpg

I knew this was coming....When Mikey finds it I thnk the middle finger will be posted

ok ontopic then.
here in holland you see a lot of studs (if that is the correct translation, we call it a duif)
tn_mDuif1.JPG

I forgot about the love birds we have. They come and go and I haven't seen them in a few months.

martinsrt said:
ok ontopic then.
here in holland you see a lot of studs (if that is the correct translation, we call it a duif)
tn_mDuif1.JPG

No Worries, it was funny and those are homing pigeons and they are banded...someone owns them more than likely :D

Not my pics but these are the ones that we have in our yard...three nesting here (goldfinch, Tree swallows and Bluebirds):

MPR_072902_100026_S.jpg

WAG_072202_00364Z_S.jpg

american_goldfinch_glamour12.jpg

downy_woodpecker_glamour.jpg

eastern_bluebird_glamor.jpg

image_column.jpg

And one we saw yesterday in a local park:

MPR_123003_100089_S.jpg

Got a new one in the neighborhood. My neighbor had their Parrot fly off today so we have a new bird in the hood.

That has to be heart breaking!

We had two Blue and Gold McCaws at one time, one of them got startled by a motorcycle going by and flew to the roof of our next door neighbor. But he was really happy to see me arrive at the top of the ladder to get him down!

3-6-02021.jpg

Decided to try something after seeing it in a magazine

birds095.jpg

birds094.jpg

birds082.jpg

birds081.jpg

birds080.jpg

birds079.jpg

birds078.jpg

I'm going to keep working on this and try to get them to go to my son as well. I have to say it was pretty cool to feel the wind coming off their wings and in one shot the bird cam right up to my eyeball before the shot was taken...must have been the headband

I have seen them go to peoples eyes before, Don't know if they think they are flowers or what. I do not think i would let a child do that without glasses or goggles.

JRSVIPR said:
I have seen them go to peoples eyes before, Don't know if they think they are flowers or what. I do not think i would let a child do that without glasses or goggles.

Good point, I was nervous as hell for a second, I will have him dawn the shades :rock:

Glasses are probably a good idea. But I've had as many as a dozen hummers at one time (wings stopped) sitting on my hands drinking out of the feeder before. That's with probably 50-60 flying around me at the same time. I did this for 10 years running. Never ended up with any close calls to the eye..... Sounds almost silly, actually..... No offense.

D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back