Locking Lug Nut

sirhc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever had a locking lug nut removed by a tire shop without the key? My truck didnt have the key in it when I bought it and the registration card that I sent to Mcgard is for the wrong key. The dealer told me to have them removed and they would pay for a new set? I found the sockets to remove them on the net, wondering if I can get it done and not have to worry about them jacking up a wheel.

Thanks all,

Depends on how good your tire shop is. I have seen them take a big socket that is just barely bigger than the lug. Pound the socket over the lug with a big hammer and then you can spin the lug off.

I have seen this work and I have seen them bugger up the wheel too, so good luck.:eek:

I have a broken lock on one of my wheels that a tire shop tried to get off. When they tried to get it off with a socket they broke the lock to where you can't get anything on the lock at all now. I still have not gotten the damn thing off.

Bill.

Begood said:
I have a broken lock on one of my wheels that a tire shop tried to get off. When they tried to get it off with a socket they broke the lock to where you can't get anything on the lock at all now. I still have not gotten the damn thing off.

Bill.
Bill,don't know if you can get any, but , liquid oxegen, or possibley freon will freeze it and a lite blow from a hammer should shatter it into little pieces, just don't get it on the wheel:D

Thank you Jerry. I have been waiting for our usual sub zero weather to try something like this. So far the coldest it has been is about 14 degrees. Soon we will get colder and I will try this, thank you again.

Bill.

Begood said:
Thank you Jerry. I have been waiting for our usual sub zero weather to try something like this. So far the coldest it has been is about 14 degrees. Soon we will get colder and I will try this, thank you again.

Bill.
About 250 degrees below zero would help, but, your whole truck could end up in little pieces LOL:D :p

I had a tire shop remove a set with an air chisel easily.They only charged 12 bucks for the replacement lug nuts.

sirhc76 said:
Anyone ever had a locking lug nut removed by a tire shop without the key? My truck didnt have the key in it when I bought it and the registration card that I sent to Mcgard is for the wrong key. The dealer told me to have them removed and they would pay for a new set? I found the sockets to remove them on the net, wondering if I can get it done and not have to worry about them jacking up a wheel.

Thanks all,
Will the dealer remove them for you so they can be responsible for any damage:dontknow: A good dealer should imho :D

What about those "gator" sockets... The ones with all of the pins in them...

I have been told if they are factory type locks the dealer has a master set for the series and can remove them and replace key . The biggest problem with most any decent lock is the hardness ,you just cant get a lot of bite into um
Have A Kind Day
Mike

I forgot Call this guy Mon .Christopher Pharr over at Mac Haik 215-1720 and ask .
Have A Kind Day
Mike

talk to a snap-on dealer, or mac or one of the kind. i got a 5 piece set that goes on a impact, they are slightly tapered with a reverse thread that when it tightens around the nut, it eventually gets enough bite to spin it off. i had 16 nuts on my honda when i bought it that the key wasn't there for and they all came off with this tool and it fit inside the wheel. just a lil help if you can use it

I had the Mopar locking lugnuts on my truck when I bought it. The dealer installed them and they were so tight that one of them broke the "key" when trying to loosen it. I contacted McGard for another key and when it arrived, took it to a tire shop here in town for him to try to loosen the lug with the key used in his impact tool. It promptly broke the ears off that key also. I had no choice but to drill the lug and stud off. I drilled right in the center of the lug with a small drill bit, and then used progressively bigger bits until I got to a 1/2 inch bit. The studs are 1/2 inch also, so as I drilled through with that bit, the locking lug nut and stud fell off. I was careful with my drilling and did no damage at all to the wheel. I just had to buy another stud from Mopar. I will NEVER own locking lug nuts again!!

The main issue is that the dealer I bought my truck from is in Bonham Texas and Im in Austin 240 miles away. They have been very helpful but the drive isnt an option although I guess since my first oil change is free I could make it a sunday roadtrip. I found the Snap on part to remove them and if my compressor had enough sac to run my impact I would try it. The lugs that I have are the spline version from Mcgard.

chrome_kit4.jpg

So what actually removes it is a socket with teeth. The registration card that I sent them was in the package with my 4 lug nuts that the dealer removed. That card was mailed in and Mcgard sent me a standard key lock instead of the spline socket type. When I called they said the number I sent them was not for a spline lock but if I send them a picture they can match it. I did this and a week has passed with no reply. I will hit them up again and see what I can do. The last Mcgard lock I had resulted in a fractured ankle when I rolled it trying to get the lug nut off and all the teeth stripped out of the key. I think that if I get them off I will just put the lug nuts back on and not worry about a lock. Mike I will give Mack Haik a call tomorrow and see what can be done, they still owe me from screwing up my last truck buy.

the dealer has a master set and you can just buy a new lug nut key for 18$

Had the keyed lock Mopar lug nuts when I purchased my truck. Had two of them crack and had to have Discount Tire removed one of them for $5 :D I would never put the Mopar Keyed lug nuts on any vehicle. They are cheap worthless pieces of crap ;)

Begood said:

Bill.

Get a can of refrigerant and freeze the nut then hit it hard with a big hammer and a punch. It will shatter the nut and you are done.

This I have done many times and was taught to me by a professional car thief.

sirhc76 said:
The main issue is that the dealer I bought my truck from is in Bonham Texas and Im in Austin 240 miles away. They have been very helpful but the drive isnt an option although I guess since my first oil change is free I could make it a sunday roadtrip. I found the Snap on part to remove them and if my compressor had enough sac to run my impact I would try it. The lugs that I have are the spline version from Mcgard.

chrome_kit4.jpg

So what actually removes it is a socket with teeth. The registration card that I sent them was in the package with my 4 lug nuts that the dealer removed. That card was mailed in and Mcgard sent me a standard key lock instead of the spline socket type. When I called they said the number I sent them was not for a spline lock but if I send them a picture they can match it. I did this and a week has passed with no reply. I will hit them up again and see what I can do. The last Mcgard lock I had resulted in a fractured ankle when I rolled it trying to get the lug nut off and all the teeth stripped out of the key. I think that if I get them off I will just put the lug nuts back on and not worry about a lock. Mike I will give Mack Haik a call tomorrow and see what can be done, they still owe me from screwing up my last truck buy.

What you have looks mopre like a "TUNER NUT", the socket is for the "TUNER NUT". They are available if you know where to go. I have a soure that is wholesale only.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Mcgard confirmed that it isnt their lock and the dodge dealer confirmed that it isnt theirs. So it seems that this is what I have.

5834.jpg

Product from Gorilla and they have over 20 different keys. The dodge dealer said they could take them off for $90 and are going to confirm that if I pay this and they screw up a wheel its on them. Gorilla told me to pound a 13/16 12 point socket over it and back it off. They did say to try and tighten the other lugs a little before trying to loosen the key, good advice. I would try it myself but dont want to have a socket stuck on a lug if I cant get it off. Worse case the socket slips and I have a stripped lug. This thing sticks out over an inch so I could actually get a set of vice grips locked on it as well. Fun Fun.

Thanks all

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back