Looking at joining the 10 family, have some q's.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
Having owned numerous boosted sports cars over the years I'm looking at trying something different. I've been eye'ing 10's for a few years and after selling my GT500 last year I'm ready to make the switch.

I'm currently in conversation with a gentleman selling a 2004 RC with 34k. It's about 10 hrs away from me one way, so I'd like to make sure I've asked the right questions before proceeding forward.

He purchased the vehicle from a "collector" who dumped some money into it and sold it. He has the receipts for motor work which includes a reground cam, ported and polished heads, a ported intake manifold, and catback. He says it's about $7,500 worth of work. Truck is pretty much stock other than that. He says he doesn't believe the truck has been dynod but he claims it is supposed to be between 700 and 850 horse. I bit my tongue on that one.

So my questions are:

1) Are there any glaring issues that I need to ask about or look into?
2) What should the truck realistically be putting down with the above mods.
3) Based on those mods, and assuming above avg condition, what would be a fair market value (I know this varies depending on location, but a close ballpark would be valuable).

Welcome to the VTCoA!

I would get some pics of the truck in question and post them up. Someone on here might know more about it. I'd be very leery of any big HP claims without tuning and a dyno sheet.

A H/C build can put down anywhere between 480 and 580 WHP, depending on the combination. Personally, I would want to know a lot more about the head work.

There aren't any glaring weaknesses with these trucks. Plan on needing to replace engine oil cooler lines now (they always leak, unless they have been replaced). This is an inexpensive and easy thing to fix.

You may also want to plug the VIN number into Google. There is a fair chance that truck is on the Registry and can be traced back to this forum.

Oh, and welcome to the best place on the web.

I would get some pics of the truck in question and post them up. Someone on here might know more about it. I'd be very leery of any big HP claims without tuning and a dyno sheet.

I agree. I always chuckle when going to dyno days and hearing what guys think their vehicles are putting out before the run.

A H/C build can put down anywhere between 480 and 580 WHP, depending on the combination. Personally, I would want to know a lot more about the head work.

Agree'd. I'm working on getting additional info on it. 500 at the wheels is what I was thinking when he mentioned the mods.

There aren't any glaring weaknesses with these trucks. Plan on needing to replace engine oil cooler lines now (they always leak, unless they have been replaced). This is an inexpensive and easy thing to fix.

You may also want to plug the VIN number into Google. There is a fair chance that truck is on the Registry and can be traced back to this forum.

Oh, and welcome to the best place on the web.

Thank you. I don't mind piddly things here and there. I've been pretty lucky with all my boosted vehicles so far and am hoping for another smooth sailing vehicle. I'll start googling some of the info.

Where is the truck coming out of ??? what colour is it? we may know the truck if you post it up and can offer you some more info on it...

Hate to interrupt this manlove going on.................. :D

He is sending me over the receipts on the motor work. I'll know a little more about it after this, but to reiterate; ported and polished heads, reground cam, and ported intake manifold. He pulled the exhaust off and sold it as he failed emissions as it had no cats. He has never had it dyno's so it's a crap shoot as to actual horsepower.

He's pretty honest about the condition. He says the truck has definitely been used, but not abused. It has a few minor door dings here and there and some scratches. The front has a couple rock chips but nothing too serious. Interior is good with no rips or tears.

He is firm at $24,000.

Hate to interrupt this manlove going on.................. :D

He is sending me over the receipts on the motor work. I'll know a little more about it after this, but to reiterate; ported and polished heads, reground cam, and ported intake manifold. He pulled the exhaust off and sold it as he failed emissions as it had no cats. He has never had it dyno's so it's a crap shoot as to actual horsepower.

He's pretty honest about the condition. He says the truck has definitely been used, but not abused. It has a few minor door dings here and there and some scratches. The front has a couple rock chips but nothing too serious. Interior is good with no rips or tears.

He is firm at $24,000.

Welcome and shoot us the info on receipts and I can tell you more about it ;)
Sounds like a fair deal though for sure!

wow my posts must be invisible.. where is the truck coming out of??? is this a private or retail sale??

wow my posts must be invisible.. where is the truck coming out of??? is this a private or retail sale??

No they're not; I just wasn't sure what the relevancy of the question at hand was.
I was being a little vague on purpose; I'm sure you know why. :)

No one is going to buy your truck out from under you,, there are 20000 of them for sale all dirt cheep.. I just sold mine that sounds alot like that one you are looking at.. same mileage, same description of paint, same description of mods etc.... you can get the same truck for 20k all day long... anyhow ...

No one is going to buy your truck out from under you,, there are 20000 of them for sale all dirt cheep.. I just sold mine that sounds alot like that one you are looking at.. same mileage, same description of paint, same description of mods etc.... you can get the same truck for 20k all day long... anyhow ...

Wow, relax there hoss.

I bet this is your truck seeing your location. I'd like to PM you about it but I can't apparently??

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back