Looking for Home Security Video System

SilvrSRT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a home security wireless video system. Wondered if anyone here delt in that sort of thing. We are wanting to look in on my 86 year old MIL so I'll need to use one of my old computers as a DVR and want to access it via Internet so we can "check in" while we are away.

I've seen the one's for sale on ebay but wanted to check here to possibly get a better quality setup at a reasonable price. Possibly a 4 to 6 camera system, DVR card, software to record and view. If anyone has any connections, please let me know. TIA

Oh, it will need to work with Windoz Vista too. That's what's on my laptop.

Last edited:
I think your best bet is to go with Linksys wireless system. Takes up to "I Think" 12 camera's and comes with software. Only downfall is the price for each camera. Although each camera does have ptz+pan, tilt, zoom.

noid said:
I think your best bet is to go with Linksys wireless system. Takes up to "I Think" 12 camera's and comes with software. Only downfall is the price for each camera. Although each camera does have ptz+pan, tilt, zoom.
I'll look into that although tilt and zoom may be a little overkill. My plan is to place a camera up in the corner of each living space and monitor movement. I think the software allows it to activate record when it sees motion. No sense in continuously recording when nothing is happening. My MIL sleeps A LOT. Thanks for the input.

There are many systems on the market that you can use. Being that you want to use an old computer and a caputre card will work, but have its drawbacks. Mainly speed and storage.
A few things that I would look for.
If you are looking in on someone, Pan tilt zoom cameras are a good idea. Also, don't go with cheap ebay cameras. Remember it is someones life you are looking after.
I big plus would be being able to view the image on a phone. I have an Iphone, but needed to add a Axis Video server to my system to be able to view it on my phone because the DVR I have was not able to be viewed on the Iphone. It worked fine on laptops and my windows PDA phone.
Dedicated Micros makes really nice systems, but they are pricey. They work well though. I went with a cheap Ebay DVR that works fine for what I need. I have 16 cameras, 2 of that are PTZ cameras. I added a 400 gig drive to the DVR for storage. The cameras I went with a variety of cameras. 2 that look like motion detecors, some cheap ones where picture quality wasnt that big of a deal. A few of the cameras (like the ones watching the SRT10) are about $300. But if someone breaks in, I will be able to get a good face shot.
I will PM you the name of the company I got the DVR and a few cameras from.

walbert said:
I will PM you the name of the company I got the DVR and a few cameras from.
Great! Looking forward to your information. I like the idea of checking in on a smartphone. Hadn't thought of that.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back