Looking into buying a 03-04 COBRA

i personally love them and its the only stang id buy. bulletproof motors...great looks...and they hold there value pretty decently...check out svtperformance.com for some other great deals...you can find some with higher mileage for 16-17k

faslane505 said:
i personally love them and its the only stang id buy. bulletproof motors...great looks...and they hold there value pretty decently...check out svtperformance.com for some other great deals...you can find some with higher mileage for 16-17k

Yeah they do hold value pretty good.

A buddy of mine had the first 10 I ever rode in, and traded it for an 03, that the previouse owner of my truck traded in in for my truck, if that makesany since. But any way he but full exhaust larger pully sct and a dyno tune, and he's making just over 500 to the wheels! Not much money invested ant to drive it is too much fun!!! He says he wishes still had the ten though! And my srt4 beat it when the cobra was stock!:rock:

Before I got the corvette that I have now I had an '03 Cobra, plus 2 previous stangs. I have some youtube videos of it, some playing and some dyno footage. Not sure how much you know about these cars already so here is my .02. For me, it was a pretty fun car for the money but needed too many upgrades to get it where I wanted when I had it at about 500hp. Easy to hop up, but I found too many things had to be upgraded as more performance was added. The IRS in particular is a big weak link, hates drag racing but it will take on the corners. It needed subframes right out of the box cuz it flexes so bad. So I would check to see what upgrades have been done for fuel management and drivetrain to handle the increased power. I have seen guys snap off half-shafts and blow differential covers off in stock trim so it's worth upgrading and looking into. Definitely want to test drive a few and make sure the trany shifts quickly, if not the synchros may have worn, as mine was( only had 17k on it when I bought it) but didn't really notice it till I drove my friends cobra and his shifted so much better. So I guess the previous owner of mine drove it a bit hard. So those are some things I would look at mechanical wise if I was buying one aside from obvious things like overall condition of paint and interior. Have fun with your new ride if you get it.

PhatPharmacist said:
Before I got the corvette that I have now I had an '03 Cobra, plus 2 previous stangs. I have some youtube videos of it, some playing and some dyno footage. Not sure how much you know about these cars already so here is my .02. For me, it was a pretty fun car for the money but needed too many upgrades to get it where I wanted when I had it at about 500hp. Easy to hop up, but I found too many things had to be upgraded as more performance was added. The IRS in particular is a big weak link, hates drag racing but it will take on the corners. It needed subframes right out of the box cuz it flexes so bad. So I would check to see what upgrades have been done for fuel management and drivetrain to handle the increased power. I have seen guys snap off half-shafts and blow differential covers off in stock trim so it's worth upgrading and looking into. Definitely want to test drive a few and make sure the trany shifts quickly, if not the synchros may have worn, as mine was( only had 17k on it when I bought it) but didn't really notice it till I drove my friends cobra and his shifted so much better. So I guess the previous owner of mine drove it a bit hard. So those are some things I would look at mechanical wise if I was buying one aside from obvious things like overall condition of paint and interior. Have fun with your new ride if you get it.

There is a quick easy fix for the differental cover from Steeda. I will post the link when I get home today.

My friends dad had one exactly like that...It was one bad beast and I have loved that car ever since!

Silverback said:

Yeah, that was one of the first things I put on the car. Fairly inexpensive and easy mod. I also welded in MAC tubular subframes and that made a big difference, car felt like it was on rails, and also not to expensive either. What I liked about the Cobra was that for about $1500 or so you can do a few basics to stock a Cobra to get it to 500rwhp- like upper and lower pulleys and tune, supercharger porting, and exhaust. I got a dyno video of when I first got my Cobra and only performance mod was Diablo handheld tuner and Magnaflow exhaust and made a little over 430rwhp. It was one of the funnest cars I had bought and I loved the sound.

Here is a old dyno clip -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwyvymBOAO4

PhatPharmacist said:
Yeah, that was one of the first things I put on the car. Fairly inexpensive and easy mod. I also welded in MAC tubular subframes and that made a big difference, car felt like it was on rails, and also not to expensive either. What I liked about the Cobra was that for about $1500 or so you can do a few basics to stock a Cobra to get it to 500rwhp- like upper and lower pulleys and tune, supercharger porting, and exhaust. I got a dyno video of when I first got my Cobra and only performance mod was Diablo handheld tuner and Magnaflow exhaust and made a little over 430rwhp. It was one of the funnest cars I had bought and I loved the sound.

Here is a old dyno clip -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwyvymBOAO4

They do sound nice.:)

Like any car, it has its problems. Rear end, tranny, air conditioner have always been the typical mustang problems. Every mustang I have had, the engine ran like a champ, everything else was breaking. I have ownded a 66, 93, 94 Cobra, and a 03.
On my friends 03 Cobra, the timing chain wore through the tensioners before 60k. That was a mess that we had to fix, but with all that metal in the oil there is no way I would have kept that car. He drove it for another 70k before getting rid of it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back