Loose crankpulley

Jackiechan

Reaction score
Hi!

Sadfaced swede here...:confused:

My truck started to squeal and had a constant high pitch noise from the belt and the pulleys a couple of miles ago.

I started my research online and found many different reasons for the sound. I started to check everything and ofc it was the worst cause of them all.. My crank pulley had been sliding out more than 10mm on the crank and the bolt was not very tighten, see picture.

I tightened it back with a clearence of 1mm from the engineblock and the sound disapeared. But im nog happy with that, I dont know if the crank or the rubber in the pulley is damaged yet. I can see a very small vibration of the pulley and also on the A/C pulley.. But a small vibration is normal here right? I just hope the vibrations doesnt go in the crank.

My plan right now is to order an underdrive pulley/new rubber and switch it and then maybe hone the shaft end. Do you think it is bad to drive untill then? I mean, could a movement of the pulley 10mm in and out really cause much trouble?

/mopar-newbie

Attachments

• 11328986_10152762100156601_926040080_n.jpg
    11328986_10152762100156601_926040080_n.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 168
This is a normal concern with the 2004 trucks. I also experienced this concern on my first 04. I would remove the damper and inspect it for any damage, most probably will need to be replaced. Underdrive pulley isn't a bad idea either while you have it apart.

Best of luck on what you come up with. :D

I made a short video of it all when running.. You can ff-> to 00:34 when my phone is stable. It is hard to see the vibrations here, they are really small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Y5NPi1dcw

Also, do you think I should tighten it further in? You can see the clearance on the video.

Video is set to private but I would replace damper and pin it to crank. They so have a slight wobble to them but 10mm seems too much. I'd just replace it. Driving for now should be fine but again can't see video.

Hi,

My email is : [email protected] (just click on it)

I can hook you up with an OEM underdrive pulley from my truck
as i have changed it to a smaller one.

Just cover the postage fees and its yours.

Other than that we can email.

Arne

Hi,

My email is : [email protected] (just click on it)

I can hook you up with an OEM underdrive pulley from my truck
as i have changed it to a smaller one.

Just cover the postage fees and its yours.

Other than that we can email.

Arne

OEM isn't an Underdrive pulley. It's stock size. He needs the vibration damper and then an Underdrive pulley.

Thanks guys! :) I will contact you venomous1. If the shipping costs and toll fees are reasonable I might buy some more stuff

I have an 05 and seems to have the same prob it has a bad wobble but if u rev it up it stops and looks fine i havent checked the clearance on the dampner yet but everything seemed tight and wouldnt it be hard to pull the dampner not a lot of room

on my 04, I had to remove the lower pulley to get at the dampner bolt.Take the bolt out, clean it , apply some locktite (blue or red) Torque to specification. to pull the dampner the fan would have to be removed to allow clearance for the puller.

If you have a "short" puller you can get the balancer off without removing the fan. My balancer was in pretty bad shape and came off in pieces, but we were still able to get it off without removing the fan.

Ok thanks when i get a chance i will check mine out the wobble concerns me but doesnt seem to affect anything or cause any vibration

Ok thanks when i get a chance i will check mine out the wobble concerns me but doesnt seem to affect anything or cause any vibration

You'd be surprised bro!!! Check it out ASAP before it turns into a big money prob! I caught mine in the danger zone and the balancer had spun enough it was starting to weld itself to the crank. Thank God it cleaned up enough that I was able to still get a good fit with an ATI balancer.

You'd be surprised bro!!! Check it out ASAP before it turns into a big money prob! I caught mine in the danger zone and the balancer had spun enough it was starting to weld itself to the crank. Thank God it cleaned up enough that I was able to still get a good fit with an ATI balancer.

^^ What he said^^! they will screw up the end of the crank making it junk! they are hard to fine and expensive! fix it now. Is the ATI balancer a press on like the OEM? I was under the impression the crank had to be keyed for it.

^^ What he said^^! they will screw up the end of the crank making it junk! they are hard to fine and expensive! fix it now. Is the ATI balancer a press on like the OEM? I was under the impression the crank had to be keyed for it.

The ATI I bought is a bolt on, brother. I believe they have one with a keyed hub for supercharged applications where a blower belt will be putting additional stress on the pulley/balancer. My hub isn't keyed, so I'm going to pin my hub. The ATI is a super nice piece, too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back