Made a Catch Can for $9!!!!

Stanimal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a idea today and went with it. i started with a 20 oz. co2 canister for a paintball gun. i made sure it was empty, unscrewed the valve, and went to lowes. i got a hose shutoff valve that srewed in place of the valve sop i can drain it easily. i will attach a hose to the right fenderwell for easy draining. i also got 2 5/8"X1/2" brass fittings. on end is barbed and the other is threaded. i then drilled and tapped 2 holes on opposite sides of the bottle, one at the top(bottom of bottle, is top of can), one about 3" down. i then installed a 1 1/2" piece of 3/8" copper pipe into eachfitting so they would pass each other. then i used aircraft paint remover to strip the paint and polished the aluminum bottle with a brillo pad. now if you are using it as just a catch can, only drill one hole in side and drill 2nd on top. i will be using a gm electric vacuum pump to make crankcase vacuum. so i wanted it solid. to mount it i bought whats called a cowboy strap. it fits perfect around the bottle in a c shape and has 2 "wings" sort-to-speak with a hole already drilled. when mounted will post more pics heres some pic and feel free top ask ?'s

0904071820.jpg

0904071907.jpg

Last edited:
if it was anything but aluminum, i would have used the press. but it drilled easy

Looks OSHA approved, too ;)

You need to put a snell 2005 sticker on it to make it legal!

Bone said:
You need to put a snell 2005 sticker on it to make it legal!

Your scars from the MOPAR Nationals are showing! Bitter man!

towing to newark to put engine in today. i bought a used one at a junk yard for $700, $300 instalation with 90 day warrenty. $2500 obo. great for first car :D. i also have a 99 stang v6 auto for sale. $3,000. and a 03 f-150. not a scratch $9,000. and 2 honda del sol's one auto one stick, $3,900 a piece. and a 03 bmw m3 not sure of price yet. take your pick :D

6pakattack said:
Got to keep on polishing though !!:rock:

yea, probably should polish more, but its just done with a brillo pad for now. made it in 2 hours start to finish including going to lowes. thinking of making them and selling locally for around $60. most people around me dont have the mechanical skills or correct tools to build one.

Stanimal said:
towing to newark to put engine in today. i bought a used one at a junk yard for $700, $300 instalation with 90 day warrenty. $2500 obo. great for first car :D. i also have a 99 stang v6 auto for sale. $3,000. and a 03 f-150. not a scratch $9,000. and 2 honda del sol's one auto one stick, $3,900 a piece. and a 03 bmw m3 not sure of price yet. take your pick :D

I want the engine, tranny, drive shaft and rear end out of the M3. I need to put it in my 325Ci.

sorry, whole car is for sale. i may however be able to got you a swap. how much are you looking to spend?

Stanimal said:
sorry, whole car is for sale. i may however be able to got you a swap. how much are you looking to spend?

UMMM..FREE to a good standing member.:D Actually I wouldn't be able to get it right now but if you do come across that stuff in the future I would be more than happy to discuss some prices with you.

I know this is a dum-dum question, but what does a catch can do? some sort of pressure equalization?

SRT-11 said:
I know this is a dum-dum question, but what does a catch can do? some sort of pressure equalization?

For me, with a boosted engine, the pressure mounts and the oil in high temperatures becomes mist that is forced out through three breathers on my engine. It is either released into the air in the engine compartment, or can be captured in a catch can.

I prefer the latter to wiping down the engine and having it cover everything.

The same theory holds true for the N/A guys. Who wants to clean that crap off? :)

It also keeps the funk/gunk from being re-breathed (like the stock airbox/PCV setup allows). This keeps your throttle body and intake clean and oil-free.

well that brings up another excellent question, what is the purpose of those breathers for a N/A engine if any, and how bad is it not to have them?

Performance engines are just big air pumps. Breathers are like Rolaids. They get rid of that bloated feeling...and look cool.

im using one because i am making the crackcase have positive vacuum. without the crankcase, and gm electric pump i am using will suck oil out of the crankcase. the reason for making positive vacuum, is it helps seat the rings better.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back