Mag- Hytec Differential Cover

Streetgang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed a new cover today
A couple of things that went with install.
1.Dropping the spare made it much eaisier

2.You might need a small chisel and a swinging press to remove the old cover.

3.After the fluid is drained...there is a small detent where the fluid will puddle in the bottom of the housing....I used my finger to swab it out...Quite abit collects there.

4.Cleaned housing with 800 grit paper and steel wool.Actually there was no gasket left....Maybe that is why there was only 1.5 Quarts of fluid in there...It must have weeped since the factory.I bought the truck with 14.500 miles...I am changing it at 17.500 miles

5.There is a previous post that says the Q-cab with this cover takes 4.5 quarts...Mine took 6....I used Royal Purple ....It had Friction modifier in it already.

6.Bought from www.extremediesel.com .....$228.00 and free shipping...Bought the trans-pan as well.

7.The correct cover is for a DANA 70...Thanks to all whom gave me the clarification on the Q-cab rear end.

8.You will feel the difference right away...The fit and finish is outstanding.(Same for Trans Pan)Maybe I am trying to feel good about the buy !!!!!

Thanks Bill :star:

Streetgang said:
Installed a new cover today
A couple of things that went with install.
1.Dropping the spare made it much eaisier

2.You might need a small chisel and a swinging press to remove the old cover.

3.After the fluid is drained...there is a small detent where the fluid will puddle in the bottom of the housing....I used my finger to swab it out...Quite abit collects there.

4.Cleaned housing with 800 grit paper and steel wool.Actually there was no gasket left....Maybe that is why there was only 1.5 Quarts of fluid in there...It must have weeped since the factory.I bought the truck with 14.500 miles...I am changing it at 17.500 miles

5.There is a previous post that says the Q-cab with this cover takes 4.5 quarts...Mine took 6....I used Royal Purple ....It had Friction modifier in it already.

6.Bought from www.extremediesel.com .....$228.00 and free shipping...Bought the trans-pan as well.

7.The correct cover is for a DANA 70...Thanks to all whom gave me the clarification on the Q-cab rear end.

8.You will feel the difference right away...The fit and finish is outstanding.(Same for Trans Pan)Maybe I am trying to feel good about the buy !!!!!

Thanks Bill :star:

pics man.....pics....:D

the trans pan really helps the trans to run cooler....

Does anyone make a differential cooler for the reg cabs? Just thinking it may help during road racing weekends.

Diff Cover MH70....$228.00......Trans Pan MH-727-DD....$261.00.Will take pictures after T-Pan install.

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
Does anyone make a differential cooler for the reg cabs? Just thinking it may help during road racing weekends.
DANA doesn't even know that the RC rear ends exist. Try their tech support sometime. :)

As far as I know, there are no aftermarket diff. covers for the 04-05 RC trucks.
Hell, after talking to DANA I'm afraid to ask Dodge if they can get an OEM one! :D

With regard to coolers, I'm not sure. Maybe one of these guys would be a good starting point:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_353826_-1
....or.....
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_42446_-1
...then a pump like this one:
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/mocal1.htm
A simple line thermostat and inlet/outlet points (fill/drain plugs?) would be the last links in the chain.

Kevan said:
DANA doesn't even know that the RC rear ends exist. Try their tech support sometime. :)

As far as I know, there are no aftermarket diff. covers for the 04-05 RC trucks.
Hell, after talking to DANA I'm afraid to ask Dodge if they can get an OEM one! :D

Wouldn't a standard Dana 60 cover fit our regular cabs since it is classified as a Dana 60?

-Muzzy

Muzzy said:
Wouldn't a standard Dana 60 cover fit our regular cabs since it is classified as a Dana 60?

-Muzzy
Nope.
The linear shock used to prevent spool-up makes it a different model: DANA 60-HD.

I don't remember if the 06's have that feature on their rear ends, but the 04's and 05's do.

Kevan said:
Nope.
The linear shock used to prevent spool-up makes it a different model: DANA 60-HD.

I don't remember if the 06's have that feature on their rear ends, but the 04's and 05's do.

Well that stinks. I guess we'll just have to polish up the stock one.

-Muzzy

Tony- What do CalTracks have to do with the linear shock?
You're not doing some sort of freaky redneck engineering under there, are ya?
:D

Last edited:
Kevan said:
Tony- What do CalTracks have to do with the linear shock?

Ok here goes

we really dont have to have the linear shock, it is not a neccessity, it just qualms down the wheel hop, it absorbs the twist of the axle.

manufactures have used them for years, especially ford on the mustangs, they work great to a degree of hp.

but we can run without them , the rear axle willnot, let me repeat that will not just fall out without it, trucks have been running without them since trucks were manufactured in the begining.

but I do , as well as most, suggest caltracs to keep the axle from twisting and causing wheel hop.

I suk at explaing Kevan you little turd and you know that:D

but under accelleration, the axle twist against the leaf spring, and the spring itself with start to bend, with the shock it is valved to absorb this initial shock of the twist, with the caltracs it stops it all together.

Mine does not have the linear shock on , but i do have the caltracs, and at garys gtg I am sure you seen how the entire truck shuddered trying to get traction instead of wheel hopping.

Prof's on the other hand has no shock and no caltracs and he gets very bad wheel hop.

wwhhheeeeeww! bite me kevan:p

Ooooohhhhhhh....you're saying:
Install CalTracks and take out the linear shock.

I thought maybe you were putting a CalTrack in place of it, or around it or something like that. LOL You and that plasma cutter....ya never know.

QUESTION (that I asked 3 years ago when I first saw the setup on the trucks):
- Why not put in an adjustable shock in the linear shock mount?
You could adjust it for street, strip, track, etc.
Whoa! Look- a vendor *did* hear me: http://jmbperformance.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=66_93&products_id=262

I'm sure with an adjustable shock ***and*** the CalTracs, traction could be vastly improved. Hell....even tweaked!

Kevan said:
Ooooohhhhhhh....you're saying:
Install CalTracks and take out the linear shock.

I thought maybe you were putting a CalTrack in place of it, or around it or something like that. LOL You and that plasma cutter....ya never know.

QUESTION (that I asked 3 years ago when I first saw the setup on the trucks):
- Why not put in an adjustable shock in the linear shock mount?
You could adjust it for street, strip, track, etc.
Whoa! Look- a vendor *did* hear me: http://jmbperformance.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=66_93&products_id=262

I'm sure with an adjustable shock ***and*** the CalTracs, traction could be vastly improved. Hell....even tweaked!

nnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooo wantanamombay what i said was.........wait my balls are starting to itch..........ok...........what i was saying was if you wanted to have a cool looking rear axle cover you could do it if you wanted........ but the shock would have to go......if you do this and do not install caltracs or some sort of traction device you will get some wheel hop:p

Here's the diff cover,Not sure where my tranny pan pic went !!!Got both on mine too !!!Bought mine from Suncoast Converters !!:rock: :rock:

Stinker said:
nnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooo wantanamombay what i said was.........wait my balls are starting to itch..........ok...........what i was saying was if you wanted to have a cool looking rear axle cover you could do it if you wanted........ but the shock would have to go......if you do this and do not install caltracs or some sort of traction device you will get some wheel hop:p

So I could use a Dana 60 Mag diff cover if I took off the shock?

-Muzzy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back