Mag-Hytec Rear differential pan

Chewbacca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last month one of the things on my list was to replace my ugly stock rear diff cover with a new Mag-Hytec deeper cover. As I had the cover off I figured I would take some pics of the gears since I haven't really ever looked in there, and wasn't sure if there were any on the forum.

Spare tire removed...first time since I bought the truck, lots of room under there. Actually, it was the first time I ever lowered a spare from a truck. Kinda like how it works, but wouldn't want to do it on the side of the road.

New pan, comes with dipstick and a port to plug in a temp sensor, which I may do just for shits and giggles...

I need to get a few better pics of the new cover installed. It got dark out so I had to use the flash. Yeah yeah, lots of rust, I know. When I install my B&B exhaust, I plan to get rid of all the rust underneath, and paint the axle and whatever else I can so it looks neat.

Looks good man. Even if there is rust, it looks like you keep it pretty tight down there, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The paint should help with further rusting though. Now I'm kinda wondering what are some good upgrades gear wise for a quad cab? :dontknow:

The only thing I know of is the cryoed spider gears which I currently put up for sale.

So with the new cover how much extra oil did you add?

It is supposed to hold 6qts as opposed to the stock amount of 3qts. Since it is double the amount, I doubled the amount of limited slip additive. I only got to 5qts before it reached the correct level. Maybe after driving it a bit and the oil spreads to the shafts I'll be able to add more(says my brother). I will probably check the level next time I'm at my garage.

I was surprised how much room is under there without the spare tire. I could easily kneel or sit and work!

Attachments

• truck work.jpg
    truck work.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 168
cool photos:rock::rock:

the couple of Mag-Hy-Tech covers i have installed its just been an extra qt. in capacity:rock:

enjoy them BFG's while ya can:rock::rock::rock:

try some tire foam cleaner/shine i like STP the yellow can and spray it everywhere down there the frame axle bottom of bed etc etc let it sit or get a rag and wipe it down it will have it looking as close to new as you can get.

Did you check out the one's from T/A Performance, besides extra fluid they also anchor the differential main caps........

Did you check out the one's from T/A Performance, besides extra fluid they also anchor the differential main caps........

Checked them out just now but don't understand how they work? Where are the bearing caps, and how could those bolts attach to them? Looking at my pics I couldn't figure it out.

Though I thought this was funny...
"All Girdles increase fluid capacity approx. 1/2 pint"

What the hell is an extra half pint gonna do?:D

Last edited:
Ok, I just researched and see the bearing caps are on the sides, with the upper and lower bolts. So do the bolts in their cover just push on those caps, or do you drill into them?

Ok, I just researched and see the bearing caps are on the sides, with the upper and lower bolts. So do the bolts in their cover just push on those caps, or do you drill into them?

You install the cover just like a stock one. Then turn the two screws in until they rest on the Carrier bearing caps. They usually touch in the center of the cap. Then tighten the locknuts and your done. Except for filling up your oil

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back