Magnaflow and Flowmaster. What I've learned.

PaddyOBrian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had two Flowmaster 40s welded in place of the OEM muffler on my truck. I also had the resonator removed. :rock: And man it is very loud. It's insane how loud it is actually.

Everything was fine until one day when I as at PepBoys. I saw that they sold Magnaflow mufflers and I had to see what the fuss was about. So I bought one Magnaflow and had it put on my Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7. I was an instant believer. Quiet at idle yet screams at WOT.

So I bought a dual in/dual out magnaflow and thought about putting it on my truck. Well, after 6 months of talk I finally did it. I should have done it sooner. The sound is so clean and doesn't have the honda on steroids tone of the other exhaust. It still doesn't sound great but it sounds better.

I'm not going to say the flowmasters rob the truck of power because I've ran decent times with them. The sound and interior resonance is much improved with the magnaflow, now.

I have Flowmaster CB on my 04 Hemi. I love the tone it has. Wanted something different for the viper motor though. Definatley different sound.

RedRamRules said:
I like my flowmaster as well, just wanted to be different, very few people have it. Glad it works for ya :D

That's why I did it. I like to challenge the status quo if you will.

The flowmasters were great but they were really loud and better suited for a V8. I thought the performance was fine but after examining the truck I thought that a Maganaflow DI/DO muffler was a better choice. I think it's more free-flowing. I'm about to install catless mids and I don't need those on top of flows. I'll go deaf.

I love my magnaflow. I have Flowmasters on my 383 Fury and it is a bit loud especially at cruising speeds. Both great systems for different reasons.

amoparman said:
I love my magnaflow. I have Flowmasters on my 383 Fury and it is a bit loud especially at cruising speeds. Both great systems for different reasons.

Well said. :burnout:

PaddyOBrian said:
That's why I did it. I like to challenge the status quo if you will.

Thats why I didn't Magna-Flow and went with Dynomax. It has a tone all its own. It still has that exotic sound with more a little more grunt. :D

mauiSRT/10 said:
Deleting the cats makes the truck much louder at all speeds. You will hear it inside the cab in every gear. Just a FYI.

patrick

I know but can you imagine how crazy loud it would be with flowmaster 40s? That's a really loud muffler. It will be more tolerable with magnaflow.

PaddyOBrian said:
I know but can you imagine how crazy loud it would be with flowmaster 40s? That's a really loud muffler. It will be more tolerable with magnaflow.

I imagine your correct. I had flowmasters on my hemi truck.......certainly didnt want it any louder thats for sure.

patrick

PaddyOBrian said:

Try straight pipes, :D :D :D :D. I love the sound of it and the way everyone has to stop and look to see WTF is coming. haha.

I had the borla on before that and didn't like it at all, i'm probably going to go this same route with the magnaflows to quiet it down to a level that you can actually drive on the highway with.

Which magnaflow model did you buy. I have the 14568 dual 2.5 in/out and well at idle it sounds great. All other times it sounds like a beefy civic, keep in mind I don’t have cats on my QC. WOT sounds nice but once you shift into 3rd you can’t hear it as much. The nice thing is I know by the sound when Im at 80mph because the drone is so loud I can’t hear myself think. I am going to get the wife to do a drive by so I can hear it outside the truck. I may be pleased with it and it could have a completely different sound outside the truck. I think the muffler I bought is too long and is the reason for the sound. I recall reading that the shorter mufflers have a better tone to them. The one that I got was the longest DI/DO that they had since I was trying to match it up to the factory. The muffler body is 22 inches long and with the pipes 28.

Chris

sirhc76 said:
Which magnaflow model did you buy. I have the 14568 dual 2.5 in/out and well at idle it sounds great. All other times it sounds like a beefy civic, keep in mind I don’t have cats on my QC. WOT sounds nice but once you shift into 3rd you can’t hear it as much. The nice thing is I know by the sound when Im at 80mph because the drone is so loud I can’t hear myself think. I am going to get the wife to do a drive by so I can hear it outside the truck. I may be pleased with it and it could have a completely different sound outside the truck. I think the muffler I bought is too long and is the reason for the sound. I recall reading that the shorter mufflers have a better tone to them. The one that I got was the longest DI/DO that they had since I was trying to match it up to the factory. The muffler body is 22 inches long and with the pipes 28.

Chris

I have #12468 and it's 18" muffler and 24" with pipes. The longer the muffler the quieter it will be. This particulare muffler is very clean and crisp sounding with minimal drone. And for $89 and free shipping it can't be beat. I'll post a picture later.

I got a lot of complements on the sound of my truck at boomers GTG, and I have flowmaster.

Bill.

Begood said:
I got a lot of complements on the sound of my truck at boomers GTG, and I have flowmaster.

Bill.

I liked the way it sounded but in the end I wanted something a bit more refined. This thread was not started in order to slam on flowmasters. From the rear when the truck was in idle it sounded awesome. It almost sounded like the truck had a cam with a nice lope. I miss it but at the same time the decrease in interior resonance is much appreciated.

And I never jumped on the flowmasters lose power bandwagon, either.

Gotta be Magnas... I wouldn't be able to deal with catless type noise in the cab through all gears all of the time. I need it to be quiet during normal driving for date vehicle status, then a trecherous mean droan at WOT.. The lower gear slow down popping sound is also a plus with the Magnas.. But I dunno guys, Roz has a mean set up with his Dynomax. I love the sound..

Venom Power said:
Gotta be Magnas... I wouldn't be able to deal with catless type noise in the cab through all gears all of the time. I need it to be quiet during normal driving for date vehicle status, then a trecherous mean droan at WOT.. The lower gear slow down popping sound is also a plus with the Magnas.. But I dunno guys, Roz has a mean set up with his Dynomax. I love the sound..

The pop was meaner with the flows.

mauiSRT/10 said:
Try it with no cats!!!!! Pops are even more pronounced!!!!:burnout:

patrick

I should have my catless mids on Friday afternoon. :burnout:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back