Magnaflow Exhaust Install

VipeMe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... I thought I would post this to see if anyone had any tips on installing the magnaflow catback exhaust... I had no problem installing the K&N intake, and it doesn't look like the exhaust is going to be very hard, but if anyone has any tips I would love to hear them...

There has to be someone out there who has installed this... I've seen your sigs....

A few guys have installed their own no problems....but then they run by the muffler shop and have all the connections welded up do you are not relying on the clamps.....

Well the stock exhaust uses only clamps... but I guess it would make sense to have them welded up.....

The hardest part is getting the old stock system out. First use plenty of lube on the rubber hangers, Then try to work the stock exhaust out of the stock mid pipes. On mine I had to take a rather large hammer to break it free, while this helped, it still was a mother f'kr to break loose.

Bill.

Begood said:
The hardest part is getting the old stock system out. First use plenty of lube on the rubber hangers, Then try to work the stock exhaust out of the stock mid pipes. On mine I had to take a rather large hammer to break it free, while this helped, it still was a mother f'kr to break loose.

Bill.

I installed my own.. and the getting the stock unit off was a major pain.. I think I spent about 2-3 hours... a numerous colorful metaphors....

Remove your spare tire.

Lube the rubber hangers.

I also sprayed WD-40 in the slip fits to help loosen them.

Loosen all the clamps (including the straight pipe sections if you have a QC - it makes it easier to work with.

Start with tail pipe section first and work forward.

Install the Magnaflow, and work front to rear, drive about 50-100 miles then check your clamps.

As mentioned... before.. welding is not a bad idea either.

Did my own with my brother about a week into ownership, took us about a houir tops to do everything fropm start to finish. No jacks or stands as they sit at 4x4 height stock. We also didn't have to remove the spare, but I do agree the clamps blow!!:mad:

Craig said:
Did my own with my brother about a week into ownership, took us about a houir tops to do everything fropm start to finish. No jacks or stands as they sit at 4x4 height stock. We also didn't have to remove the spare, but I do agree the clamps blow!!:mad:

I removed the spare becuause I am 6' 5" tall!! and made some extra room for me to work..

Scott.

Whatever makes life easier for you brudda but how does being 6'5'' affect you laying on your back!! :dontknow: :p
azpyroguy said:
I removed the spare becuause I am 6' 5" tall!! and made some extra room for me to work..

Scott.

Craig said:
Whatever makes life easier for you brudda but how does being 6'5'' affect you laying on your back!! :dontknow: :p

Well.. when they put the truck together there were two clamps that had the bolts at the top, and laying on my back could not reach them.. without having to turn my arm into a pretzel, so removing the tire made getting to those bolts many times easier.

Thats just me.. I take the path of least resistance... :)

Well, after careful thought and a few beers, I decided to take it to the local performance muffler shop and have it installed for $108.50.... Man what a difference that makes!!!! I absolutely LOVE the new exhaust note!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the advice though... It really helped me make the wise decision to have a professional install it!!!!!

From hearing the stories, I think I'll just take mine to a muffler shop and get it welded.

Nowwhat said:
ummm.....why................?

I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a flat tire. Even if I do have a flat tire I'm not going to lay on the ground (chances are it would be raining anyway in this festering shit hole) and get the spare out, and then bother to change the tire. That's what I have a cell phone for.

"Hello AJAX Towing? Send out Bubba to change my damn tire."

Silverback said:
I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a flat tire. Even if I do have a flat tire I'm not going to lay on the ground (chances are it would be raining anyway in this festering shit hole) and get the spare out, and then bother to change the tire. That's what I have a cell phone for.

"Hello AJAX Towing? Send out Bubba to change my damn tire."
Hey now.... don't be cursing God's Country.... This is the most beautiful state in the mainland 48... a little rain never hurt nobody, and I don't know about you, but I know out here it's about 98 degree's without a rain cloud in site!!!:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back