Magnaflow Install Question

Rice Eater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I bolted up the Magnaflow cat back tonight....well almost all of it. I bottomed out the threads on the clamps which hold the pipe w/ the tips to the pipe section exiting the muffler and they got no where near tight enough to hold the pipe on. The clamps got tight on the pipe...but was not enough to hold that pipe to the other section of pipe. Anyone have any ideas what i did wrong?

Also the hanger closest to the tips....the stock one had a hanger so does the magnflow....but on the turck there is no rubber piece or mount in sight???

I feel like a dummie....this is one of the eaisiest mods to do!!! Right now I am driving around w/ out the pipe w/ the tips...all other clamps tightened right up. :dontknow:

Rice Eater said:
Well I bolted up the Magnaflow cat back tonight....well almost all of it. I bottomed out the threads on the clamps which hold the pipe w/ the tips to the pipe section exiting the muffler and they got no where near tight enough to hold the pipe on. The clamps got tight on the pipe...but was not enough to hold that pipe to the other section of pipe. Anyone have any ideas what i did wrong?

Also the hanger closest to the tips....the stock one had a hanger so does the magnflow....but on the turck there is no rubber piece or mount in sight???

I feel like a dummie....this is one of the eaisiest mods to do!!! Right now I am driving around w/ out the pipe w/ the tips...all other clamps tightened right up. :dontknow:

you forgot to mention without a wing as well:D :D :D :D

Any chance you didn't put the clamps in the right places, or all they all the same size? On mine they were the same size, but I have not done a magnaflow...

Ok I have to go out and look its been awhile....it is on correctly right? I mean you cant flip the muffler right? Other than that, do you have the right clamps inthe correct side, one set of clamps may be smaller than the other,, hell let me go look:D

You can't reverse the muffler so that won't be the problem, I'm thinking they might have sent you the wrong clamps because all of mine were the same and they fit. I would recommend you just get it welded though, because these clamps didn't really do a good job on mine and I had some leaks.

Weird? I dont remember the clamps at all except that they sucked!! Leaked like a sumbitch. I just went and got it welded. Sounded soooooo much better after that.

patrick

Looked at mine , they are correct, you must have the wrong clamps.

But Maui is 100% correct, get it wellded , you will be much happier!:D

mauiSRT/10 said:
Weird? I dont remember the clamps at all except that they sucked!! Leaked like a sumbitch. I just went and got it welded. Sounded soooooo much better after that.

patrick

:dito: :beer:

Another option is go to NAPA and get some 3 inch band clamps, they work great!

I suggest you go to a muffler shop and get some heavy duty clamps and use them instead of the ones that came with the cat-back. That is what I did.

Bill.

thanks guys....damn i was really pissed last night wrenching, sweating crawling around on the ground! I just wanted to finish it up so it looked complete! I will get her welded in once I get my headers and mids on.

What about that rear hanger question. its the one closest to the tips. I see the part coming off the exhaust pipe that would fit into a rubber bushing....but i do not see a rubber piece there to fit into it. Whe i removed the stocker....it had the same hanger piece but it was not connected anywhere???:dontknow:

Liking the sound though....i hope it does get a little louder w/ the long tubes and mids.

Rice Eater said:
thanks guys....damn i was really pissed last night wrenching, sweating crawling around on the ground! I just wanted to finish it up so it looked complete! I will get her welded in once I get my headers and mids on.

What about that rear hanger question. its the one closest to the tips. I see the part coming off the exhaust pipe that would fit into a rubber bushing....but i do not see a rubber piece there to fit into it. Whe i removed the stocker....it had the same hanger piece but it was not connected anywhere???:dontknow:

Liking the sound though....i hope it does get a little louder w/ the long tubes and mids.

My Magnaflow was very quiet and dissapointing when I first installed it... but after about 500-1000 miles... it started to really get the sound I wanted... Have to delete the cats eventually though, it sounds mean as hell.

Madduc said:
Another option is go to NAPA and get some 3 inch band clamps, they work great!

That is exactly what I did. They are much better quality than the piece of sh*t ones magnaflow sends with their kit. I was happy with the quality of the rest of the pieces magnaflow sent, but their clamps are shit! I striped the threads on 3 out of 4 clamps they sent. The only reason I didn't strip the last one was because I threw it across the shop! :mad:

Rice Eater said:

It sound like your truck was missing that part from new. I would go to the dealer and see if they can get you one, hopefully, at no cost to you.

I think the front clamps/pipes are 2 1/2" and the rear clamps/pipes are 3"
It will definitely sound better with the cat-delete mod :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back