Magnaflow or Flowmaster

Is anyone doing the catless mids with the stock exhaust? I know going catless mids will make things louder but with the stock exhaust may make it still tolerable.

I had two Flowmaster 40s on my truck for about 6k miles or so. The sound at idle was phenomenal, I loved it. WOT was great, too! Giving it a nice rev, though, just sounded like a Honda.

I've heard the claims of lost power but I didn't notice that. I ran an 8.8 (1/8th) with a stock truck with two flowmasters. I'd say that's pretty decent.

Let me post a video.

The truck was just too loud. I ended up purchasing a Dual in/Dual out Magnaflow for another project and decided to cut off the flowmasters and slap it on. It pretty much sounds the same but quieter and a bit more refined.

The video below is with the two Flowmaster 40s.

mauiSRT/10 said:
Dude I had the exact same setup on my 03 qc hemi truck.......your never gonna get that with a v 10.

Flowmasters have shown a HP loss on our trucks. Stick with what you got. I have the same thing. I freaken love it!!

patrick

I think that's kind of a blanket statement that's really unjustified.

Unless something has changed recently, Flowmasters do usually result in a drop in HP from a Magnaflow, B&B, Corsa or other straight-thru exhaust. Flowmaster mufflers have always been chambered and just can't flow as well.

In the GM LS1 F-body world I once inhabited they were sometimes referred to as Flowmisers or Slowmasters.

On the other hand, they do sound great and I doubt that the power loss is much, probably under 10 HP or so on an otherwise stock SRT-10 setup.

I also agree that the V-10 is probably never gonna sound just like a V-8, no matter what you do. I put a Flowmaster cat-back on my wife's old '96 454 Suburban and man that Chevy rat block sounded great, even in stock truck tune.

Then again, my Viper Truck with B&B may never sound as good, but it sure as H... is a lot faster. I'll take the tradeoff. :)

SilvrSRT10 said:
Is anyone doing the catless mids with the stock exhaust? I know going catless mids will make things louder but with the stock exhaust may make it still tolerable.

That's what I have. At first I put on the Magnaflow catback after the catalyst delete, nice sounds but too loud and it was droning bad. So I replaced the stock muffler and the sound is much more manageable now.

The only problem is that it sounds like shit, WOT is like stepping on a large duck's tail, QUAAAAAACK!!!

Might have to replace the Magnaflow and add resonators or high flow cats.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back