Magnaflow too loud when cruzing 80

jschlee

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have mounted a Magnaflow but is too loud (when I am driving above the 80 miles).

I want to mount a borla, or is this exhaust loud aswell? :dontknow:

The when I am driving 70 miles per hour everything is just fine

Spoke at length with an old MOPAR expert (Norm Brandies owner of Westech) about the sound of the SRT 10. He has lots of Viper wrenching experience and has owned several.

He said that the position of the muffler is critical to sound and resonance.

He went into a long discussion (that I started to recall from physics classes) about the sound wave amplitude and frequency emitted from the engine. His experience is that if the middle of the muffler is at the maximum amplitude of the sound wave proceeding down the exhaust system, that is the optimum way to manage sound and resonance. The factory does this routinely as a part of the engineering process. But when we modify the engines, and the exhaust system we do not do the sound engineering step.

Anything that changes the amplitude or frequency that emit from the engine will probably alter the optimum placement of the muffler. Certainly major changes like cams, head work, etc. will alter the sound wave and consequently optimum muffler placement. Headers and cat delete become alterations that change the frequency and amplitude of the sound wave too.

This may be why so many of us have different experiences with the sound satisfaction of our exhaust systems...every vehicle with modifications will react differently...even with the same muffler.

I worked on my sound all winter and spent a lot of money getting it right, but Norm believes that much of the time it is just luck that determines sound...unless you are a sound engineer and have the instruments to do the correct analysis. Two inches can make the difference...and when we alter our exhaust systems...who takes the time to determine the frequency and amplitude of the the sound wave?

This probably does not help, but it may give you some perspective on the search for the right sound and the elimination of that infernal buzz in the cab!

Last edited:
Prof said:
Spoke at length with an old MOPAR expert (Norm Brandies owner of Westech) about the sound of the SRT 10. He has lots of Viper wrenching experience and has owned several.

He went into a long discussion (that I started to recall from physics classes) about the sound wave amplitude and frequency emitted from the engine. His experience is that if the middle of the muffler is at the maximum amplitude of the sound wave proceeding down the exhaust system, that is the optimum way to manage sound and resonance. The factory does this routinely as a part of the engineering process. But when we modify the engines, and the exhaust system we do not do the sound engineering step.

Anything that changes the amplitude or frequency that emit from the engine will probably alter the optimum placement of the muffler. Certainly major changes like cams, head work, etc. will alter the sound wave and consequently optimum muffler placement. Headers and cat delete become alterations that change the frequency and amplitude of the sound wave too.

This may be why so many of us have different experiences with the sound satisfaction of our exhaust systems...every vehicle with modifications will react differently...even with the same muffler.

I worked on my sound all winter and spent a lot of money getting it right, but Norm believes that much of the time it is just luck that determines sound...unless you are a sound engineer and have the instruments to do the correct analysis. Two inches can make the difference...and when we alter our exhaust systems...who takes the time to determine the frequency and amplitude of the the sound wave?

This probably does not help, but it may give you some perspective on the search for the right sound and the elimination of that infernal buzz in the cab!

Nice post, Prof! Interesting read!

Prof said:

so goin with the powersticks, designed with sound in mind, placement bein a factor, goin to a true dual exhaust, she might come out soundin like a pack of pissed off bumble bees?

I don't think that would be the out come...but as they are put on...think about how you might be able to adjust their position if you do not like the sound. With a little fore thought you should be able to have the ability to move them forward or backward to adjust how they sound...

Prof said:
I don't think that would be the out come...but as they are put on...think about how you might be able to adjust their position if you do not like the sound. With a little fore thought you should be able to have the ability to move them forward or backward to adjust how they sound...

back to the drawin board :rock: :rock: :rock: lol

I've got True Dual Magnaflows,and they are no way too loud in the cab !!! :rock:

The only thing I changed is the JMB CAI, maybe this is the reason for the resonating problem.

A friend of mine has a borla, i`ll mount that and see what happens. Thnkx for the awesome posts!

Prof said:

The problem we have with the Viper engine is the uneven firing. It's not a constant pulse frequency in the system.

because of the extra cyl. per bank????

ZCx said:
because of the extra cyl. per bank????

Yep.

V8 engines are 90 degree angle. An even firing V6 is either 60 or 120 degrees.

Buick had a 90 degree V6 that was rougher than hell, until they went with the offset rod journals on the crank to make it even firing.

The Viper is a 90 degree V10 design. It could have been designed on a 72 degree block, or have offset journals. Dodge went the cheap route and did neither.

we'll see when the powersticks get har:rock: :rock: :rock:

you think thats bad you should hear the old magnum v10 ,,,talk about sound like shit ,,i swear it sounds like a v6 with no mufflers on it ,,,even sounds more like a deisel than a gas burner:p

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back