Major Crash

WILDMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a pietenpol Biplane last Wednesday. I put the wings in an enclosed U-haul truck and loaded the fuselage on a trailer. While on my way home a strap broke and the plane blew off and was destoyed. Someone called 911 and told them a plane had crashed. Troopers, County, Rescue squad, and many others came to see the crash. In the end I loaded it back on the trailer and hauled it home. A total loss. $10,000 gone a just a few seconds. I am so heart broken. Have lots of parts for sale now.

Wade

Sorry to hear of the loss...damn pretty planes too...:(
Glenn-1resized.jpg

Sorry for the loss. Check your auto insurance, I was told that anything that was trailered behind my truck was covered.

What kind of engine? Rotax? I may be interested.

Looks like you paid $10k to cause confusion and an instant of panic for LEO and rescue personnel. I hope your insurance does kick in and cover the losses. I'd much rather hear about your plane crashing like this with you safe than another 'hard' way.

Would have been a hard plane to crash if it had been in the air. Sorry to hear about this.

Wildman

walbert said:
Sorry for the loss. Check your auto insurance, I was told that anything that was trailered behind my truck was covered.

What kind of engine? Rotax? I may be interested.
My insurance didn't cover any of it because I wasn't driving me truck, it was U-haul. I took the extra insurance out from U-haul but they wouldn't cover it because it wasn't their trailer I was pulling.

It has a Lycoming 0-290-G engine, It still runs great

Wade

Well, with that engine you could build/get a Super Cub and put it in.
I was looking at one that needed recovering and engine. Think he wanted 12k for it.
I would think that selling just the engine would fetch at least half of the 10k loss. :dontknow:

Dammit ! :(

but... i can tell here a much worse story....

I know a salesman ( industrial gaskets etc.. ) who came here almost every week ... cop coffee, some chat. He and his wife retired some weeks ago ( age around 60 ) after having the last 2 years rebuild a home in the south of France near a airport for such little planes... His wife was a professional and had her own plane. So they wanted to relax in good weather, flying around them new home... last time they were both here at my desk , everything was arranged, ( even flowers planted) , that day they drove the car to there , the last thing would be flying over her plane.... Don't know if they ever gonne know but landing there after a perfect flight ( with a stop for fuel ) , wheels on the ground, she again put on the gas , got 20-30 m high, turned and crashed upside down... both dead instand , totally burned out....

last words i spoke to them was joking i wouldn't daire sitting i such small planes... :eek:
RIP Christina & Roger.

Wildman

Thats worst luck that mine. I just lost money, they lost everything.

Wade

That is a Bummer.....Glad nobody was hurt!

I have an Ultralight...wanted a Biplane but didn't want to adhere to the FAA regs an have to use the airport for take off and landings...I can TO and land in my field.....

WILDMAN said:
My insurance didn't cover any of it because I wasn't driving me truck, it was U-haul. I took the extra insurance out from U-haul but they wouldn't cover it because it wasn't their trailer I was pulling.

It has a Lycoming 0-290-G engine, It still runs great

Wade
That's one hell of a bummer! :(

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back