Manual Trans Issues

04RCMike

Reaction score
Hello I am new here and hope Im putting this question in the right place. I have an 04 RC and I am having issues with shifting. It will not go into 5th only when down shifting from 6th. At idle or off it will shift fine and when Im going from 4th to 5th no problems. The only way when down shifting to put it in 5th is to go from 6th to 4th not letting the clutch out then to 5th and it goes in. The funny thing is, a few months before this issues started is that the same issue was going on with 2nd and it suddenly stopped. Some time went by and 5th started up. The tranny fluid level is good, I have tried double clutching, wiggling it in, jamming and no of that works just 6-4 then 5th. Has anyone heard of this issues before?

Hello I am new here and hope Im putting this question in the right place. I have an 04 RC and I am having issues with shifting. It will not go into 5th only when down shifting from 6th. At idle or off it will shift fine and when Im going from 4th to 5th no problems. The only way when down shifting to put it in 5th is to go from 6th to 4th not letting the clutch out then to 5th and it goes in. The funny thing is, a few months before this issues started is that the same issue was going on with 2nd and it suddenly stopped. Some time went by and 5th started up. The tranny fluid level is good, I have tried double clutching, wiggling it in, jamming and no of that works just 6-4 then 5th. Has anyone heard of this issues before?

Yessir, likely a bent fork or pads worn. Doesn't grind right? Just won't go into gear?

I've experienced this issue, including having is happen in second, then later going into second fine, but not going into 5th. You need to recenter the shifter. You do this by loosening all the shifter bolts on top of the transmission, shifting through all the gears, and tightening it back down. Call me if you have questions and I'll explain it better.

Chris (970)462-1173

I've experienced this issue, including having is happen in second, then later going into second fine, but not going into 5th. You need to recenter the shifter. You do this by loosening all the shifter bolts on top of the transmission, shifting through all the gears, and tightening it back down. Call me if you have questions and I'll explain it better.

Chris (970)462-1173

:congrats::love::star:

No there is no grinding it just feels like its hitting a wall.

Re-set it like caveman says. Takes longer to take console off than to re-align. You'd be surprised how much easier it will shift. A bleeding of the clutch fluid will make it even better once it's going into gear smoothly.

It is worth a try but when it hits a wall but you can downshift into 4th then into 5th with no issue, its usually internal. ;)
Really hope a shifter align works for ya though.
Please report back your findings :rock:

It is worth a try but when it hits a wall but you can downshift into 4th then into 5th with no issue, its usually internal. ;)
Really hope a shifter align works for ya though.
Please report back your findings :rock:
I disagree. While the problem is obviously internal, mine would "hit a wall" and I could correct the problem by recentering the shifter.

Re-set it like caveman says. Takes longer to take console off than to re-align. You'd be surprised how much easier it will shift. A bleeding of the clutch fluid will make it even better once it's going into gear smoothly.
I liked the way my clutch felt before I bled it. Not joking.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone I am going to realign the shifter and hope that will work. I will let you know how it turns out.

I disagree. While the problem is obviously internal, mine would "hit a wall" and I could correct the problem by recentering the shifter.

I liked the way my clutch felt before I bled it. Not joking.

You're just in a disagreeing mood today! Hahaha :rock:

Let us know when you adjust the shifter. If you're gonna take the whole thing apart, it's a good excuse to buy a JTSV short throw! Mine had that problem when I bought it.

Well I re-aligned it and it seems all the gears go in a little easier. With 5th gear now, it has that same hit a wall like feeling but when i let the clutch out it grinds. If I keep pressure on the stick while its grinding it falls into place. I dont plan on continuing that I just wanted to try it. I found so far if I double clutch it falls in with out grinding. This is also all just done in my driveway because there is salt on the road and I dont want to cover it. I got it moving a little in 1st then right to 6th bumped the clutch to make sure it was in gear then I tried 5th. Does this sound like internal issues?

Well I re-aligned it and it seems all the gears go in a little easier. With 5th gear now, it has that same hit a wall like feeling but when i let the clutch out it grinds. If I keep pressure on the stick while its grinding it falls into place. I dont plan on continuing that I just wanted to try it. I found so far if I double clutch it falls in with out grinding. This is also all just done in my driveway because there is salt on the road and I dont want to cover it. I got it moving a little in 1st then right to 6th bumped the clutch to make sure it was in gear then I tried 5th. Does this sound like internal issues?
I've always thought the problem with mine was internal. Adjusting the shifter is basically a work-around.

Gotcha, thanks for the help though its seems ill at least be able to drop straight down to 5 now

You can get an accurate test in your driveway bro. The gears have to be moving when entering next gear. Sounds like a synchro for sure as well as other internal parts. :eek:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back