Manual Transmission and Warranty Concern

vvv90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I installed my B&M and I will replace my hydrualic fluid and trans fluid to see if it fixes a problem I'm having.

The problem is that when the transmission is below operating temperature it grinds going into second gear and ONLY second gear.

I'm worried that the synchro's are shot.

So my question is, how apt to honor warranty work on the trans should my dealership be (if in fact the synchros are shot.)

Do they consider this a "wear" item??? The shouldn't! However, it could easily be construed that the previous owner caused this.

Whatta' y'all think????

i would think you can put the oem shifter in and take it to dealer and let them replace tranny, they might balk at a aftermarket shifter

to be absolutly safe Eddie is right, theese dealers are funny, some are great and dont mind, some kill ya for changing tire brands.

Put the stock shifter in, replace the tranny fluid with stock weight and take her in

Stinker said:
to be absolutly safe Eddie is right, theese dealers are funny, some are great and dont mind, some kill ya for changing tire brands.

Put the stock shifter in, replace the tranny fluid with stock weight and take her in

Damn....After an hour finagling with the new B&M I gotta put that stock POS in?

*sigh*

I guess you're right. My dealership is a bunch of d-bags too.

vvv90 said:
Damn....After an hour finagling with the new B&M I gotta put that stock POS in?

*sigh*

I guess you're right. My dealership is a bunch of d-bags too.

LOLOL I've had mine out a dozen times now, :D

take the small screws out from the cup holders, remove the shifter handle, jerk it up and over, snap out the four allen heads, then put your ass in reverse and do it all backwards with the stock shifter.:D

Stinker said:
LOLOL I've had mine out a dozen times now, :D

take the small screws out from the cup holders, remove the shifter handle, jerk it up and over, snap out the four allen heads, then put your ass in reverse and do it all backwards with the stock shifter.:D

Yeah....It should take about 15 minutes now that I figured out all the intricacies.

Taking the distributor off my Vette took my 6 hours the first time. Now I can do it in 20 minutes. :D

Stripping the bolt/bracket

Stinker/Maui,
Since you have removed the shifter so many times has either of you stripped one of the polished allen wrench bolts that old the boot ring down? One of mine i could get out and it finally tore ther plastice off from the consol where the clip is. Another I can not get to tighten down.

had the same problem with mine .........

lets review:

replaced shifter - x-metal
replaced clutch - centerforce
replaced master/slave cylinder - viper
replaced flywheel - fidanza

now, no more miss 3rd gear, no more grind in second, no more squeaks from clutch pedal when depressed..........:D

did you leave it as is or replace the concole...mine seem to be alright as like 5 are still tight...not rattle.

chase said:
Stinker/Maui,
Since you have removed the shifter so many times has either of you stripped one of the polished allen wrench bolts that old the boot ring down? One of mine i could get out and it finally tore ther plastice off from the consol where the clip is. Another I can not get to tighten down.

yep!:D the first time I took it apart!

You can run by lowes or somewhere , get ya some stainless allen head bolts the same size and put a nutt on the bottom to tighten it up, or i thinkyou may even be able to find the clips there.
I stripped three of em:D went got some allen heads and nutts, havent touched them since, jsut take out the ones in the cup holders now:D

if, (when) you do the viper master/slave, here's some pics from sharpimage's install (what a guy) !
:D

Attachments

• 100_1991.jpg
    100_1991.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_1992.jpg
    100_1992.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_1995.jpg
    100_1995.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_1996.jpg
    100_1996.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_1997.jpg
    100_1997.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_1998.jpg
    100_1998.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_2000.jpg
    100_2000.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_2002.jpg
    100_2002.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 21
mmmmtorque said:
I never take the boot ring off, just take out the center console...Could probably swap a shifter in under 10 mins now :D

I was wondering when I put it back together if I even needed to take that stupid boot off! Now I know. Since the carpet gets in the way of 3 bolts that was BY FAR the longest step to complete.

Thanks for the tip!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back