marine engines

wesalbert

2015 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how do these guys do it. Marine engines are constatly at high rpm's. They even offer a 2 year warranty on some of there motors. Seems like they might know something the car folks don't know. (well they are car guys also) 700hp @ 6300rpm
They sure know how to dress the motor up. I like those carbon fiber fuel rail covers.

http://www.ilmor.com/marine/710.html

They are even putting the V10 in Baja trucks.......

I know they aren't a supporting member, just thought this was interesting. If it is inapropriate, please delete.

Last edited:
505'sFastestViper. said:
repost alot easier to make hp on the h2o

Sorry about the repost. I know I couldn't be the only one to find this.
But on the water, isn't there constant torque changes on the prop that are carried through the transmission that would put alot of stress on the engine as well?
Why is it easier to get hp on water?

i doubt any of these boats have transmissions maybe an outdrive a v drive will have a tranny constant cold water runiin through them open headers able to run a huge cam lots of things make it easier on the h2o

It really is not that much different making hp on the water. Most, if not all, high performance boats have belt-driven hydraulic steering, water pumps, and alternators. The only difference would be A/C units are typically electrical. Ilmor uses closed cooling, which basically is a radiator in the from of a tank that serves as a heat exchanger, using lake/sea water to cool the coolant running through the motor. This is done more for corrosion control in aluminum motors/heads than for cooling.
Sicne cooling is usually not a major concern, boats tend to run a higher compression ratio (more power) than automotive motors of the same type.

Also, the exhaust is very open and short on boats, so airflow in and out of the motor is very good.

The other major difference is that until recently, there were no emmision requirements on boats, so the engine manufacturers were free to make them very efficient power wise.

I'm not an expert by any means, I just owned a few fast boats in the past. Plus I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.:rock:

Here is a pics of the twin 580 c.i. motors in my old boat (it ran 125 mph in powerboat magazine test):

Attachments

• ad photo 5.jpg
    ad photo 5.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 132
  • ad photo 4.jpg
    ad photo 4.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 151
  • ad photo 8.jpg
    ad photo 8.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 98
The compression is increased to 10.1 on these motors.

There is serious speculation amongst the folks that really know that these motors will make the advertised HP. (It is rumored that the real #'s are in the 660 range.)

I can put any # I want on a package and it is up the purchaser to prove it is not a real #.
HP #'s on boat motors is very subjective.

At 65000.00 their 700 HP motor is quite pricey.

From what I understand Illmore's warranty and service is the best in the business, bar none.

You have an oil leak, or almost anything else and they send you a new motor, no dealership fixes, no delays, just great service.

I thought going fast on the water was expensive, untill I got the trucks..........:dontknow:

I could see them getting the 700hp out of these engines easily.

a genIV engine is 600hp, a full belanger set-up has added any where from 45-55 rwhp to that. thats 660 right there, K&N filters and removing the A/C would add another 10rwhp. 670+ crank hp without touching the engine.

My main point is how these motors can run at full throttle (or close to it) for hours at a time. I don't think any one of us would go run there truck at 6300rpm for hours. They just seem like it would be asking to launch a piston outside the block. More wondering what they are doing to solve the #3 issues many of the people on the forum have been hit with. OR what else they have been doing to the stocker blocks for improvments. There is 75 service centers listed on the website. Any chance of anyone knowing someone who knows something about these motors.

walbert said:
My main point is how these motors can run at full throttle (or close to it) for hours at a time. I don't think any one of us would go run there truck at 6300rpm for hours. They just seem like it would be asking to launch a piston outside the block. More wondering what they are doing to solve the #3 issues many of the people on the forum have been hit with. OR what else they have been doing to the stocker blocks for improvments. There is 75 service centers listed on the website. Any chance of anyone knowing someone who knows something about these motors.

the engines also cost more than our trucks brand new.

BurntRubber said:
the engines also cost more than our trucks brand new.

True, gotta cover the warranty some how.

marine engines take a trashing compared to automotive engines, i have work on cat marine, and am a certified high hp cummins tech. a truck once it gets moving takes very little power to move. As for a boat there is constant drag. a truck operates at about30-40% load or less a marine engine load ratings required by most manufactures is 80-85%. also in the marine industry you are paying for the first few failures up front with the high price. Its not easier to make hp on the water its the same. there is always exceptions to everything like haul design, prop, rpm,etc. and when they sell you a engine they are going to want a spec sheet of the engine running to make sure everything is with specs. or else warrenty void.;)

Here are some very cool marine engines from Sterling. The are dyno prove in the 1200hp+ range. They have some dual quad rotor efi motors making over 1500hp. Re-bulid time is usually around 50-100 hours.

Attachments

• yelloweng1.jpg
    yelloweng1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 37
Back