Mileage at failure of 48RE

oldguysrt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine failed at just over 48,000 and is the shop now for upgrade/rebuild.

For others with 48RE failures, how many miles on your truck when it failed.

Thanks,
oldguy

It didn't fail, but it was needing a rebuild (burned fluid, starting to shift erratically) - 30,000 miles. Dealer replaced front clutch and all seals, govenor and valve body.

1st 3700 miles-2nd 13600 miles truck now has 18800 so I guess its about time again I use mine to tow a drag car.

Good thread idea...this trans has had some issues and we need to find some answers.

oldguysrt10 said:

Thanks,
oldguy

how many miles was the Roe on for?

also from what I have read. the 06's seem to last longer(fwiw) seems dodge recongnized something in the 05s and "helped" it alittle more

I got 29k on my 06, What differences if any:dontknow: did they do with the 06 version?

thewelshm

42K on mine and still running.... and hope it keeps like that.....

BurntRubber said:
how many miles was the Roe on for?

also from what I have read. the 06's seem to last longer(fwiw) seems dodge recongnized something in the 05s and "helped" it alittle more

17,000 miles since installing the Roe.

oldguy

59caddyhog said:
They made the headlights horrible and lost the middle front seat.:dontknow: :D

Sorry........My 05 has 25K on it with no probs up to now.

Actually I was refering to the Tranny:D

thewelshm

Details I didn't include initially..................
The first symptom was running slow and steady (about 18mph) in 2nd gear in my neighborhood about 1/8th mile from my house. (I was bringing my wife home from the hospital from surgery and as a result had driven the entire trip like trying to keep from breaking a load of eggs.) It felt like the transmission just went into neutral. I looked to make sure I hadn't bumped the shift lever. When I let off on the gas it locked back into gear, and I drove home. The following day I took a drive down the road. The first time to shift into 4th it slipped. I turned around, eased it home, then had it towed to the transmission shop. They disassembled it this morning. I went by this afternoon for them to update me on findings. 2nd gear is the most routine failure but mine was still in good shape. High gear had failed. I've no clue as to the cause. The repairman didn't either. I asked if the hard lock-in of my new 3 disc billet converter might be the cause. He didn't think so/had the same converter installed in other SRT10s and a bunch of diesels, and without problems. I commented that prior to installing the Roe I had probably 30 passes at the track with drag radials. He said the stresses from that could be a contributor but still didn't think that was the problem.

Since getting the Roe I've not been to the track, and really haven't pushed my truck. It has so much torque on the low end now that I have all the fun I need usually by 50mph.

On a positive note I was glad to see minimal wear on second, and all major components in the transmission still in pristine shape. I think it speaks highly of the value of routine maintenance (fluid, filter, and governor pressure solenoid changed every 6 months plus bands adjusted). On the negative side I hate that I have an unexplained failure.

The guy doing the work has owned the transmission shop since 1983, is highly experienced on these transmissions, and I have high confidence in his work.

Will keep you informed.

Best to all.

oldguy

oldguysrt10 said:

Thanks,
oldguy

Mine took a chitt about 72K !!!:rock:

I was wrong on the mileage I listed for the failure. It came at 49,505. The Roe has been on it for 18,322 miles. No doubt some folks may disagree but I don't think the Roe was a contributor to the failure.

I got my truck back yesterday. The rebuild was $1950. It runs and shifts fantastic again.

I bought a Ford Focus while my truck was in the shop so I'd have something for back and forth to work and around town. That now gives us 1 car from each American company, a Ford Focus, Chevrolet C6 Corvette, and the SRT10.

It's been fun but I'm going to detail my SRT10 and put it up for sell. I am an old guy and this was my last hot-rod. It met or exceeded all expectations. As soon as I sell it I'm picking up one of the new Hemi trucks, then drive around under the speed limit.

Best to all,
oldguy

The roe wasn't the problem......I just got mine back from the shop yesterday...40,5xx on the truck. The tranny shop was great..ATF Automatic Transmission Factory who knew of all the problems in the 48RE and did a complete overhaul and upgrades, 3 disc converter ...I have never felt the truck shift so great before and solidly hit every gear. These guys are great http://www.atfbilletparts.com/cms/ the owner built the cars on top!

Last edited:
that new hemi truck is the most beautiful truck ever produced!!!

I would trade my SRT for it any day.

I saw a white one with white bumpers, door handles ................. it is awesome!!!

Good choice! That would be the only truck I'd ditch the 10 for!

bigike said:
that new hemi truck is the most beautiful truck ever produced!!!

I would trade my SRT for it any day.

I saw a white one with white bumpers, door handles ................. it is awesome!!!

Good choice! That would be the only truck I'd ditch the 10 for!

Looks versus perfomance versus truck history???:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

thewelshm

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back