Minneapolis, MN . . . Sad

Roz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, flipping through the channels and seen where a bridge collapsed during rush hour. . . Very sad and unfortunate. Hope no one knows anyone affected by this tragedy. . .

God Speed.

Very, very ugly.

That had to be a solid 60' drop at the center span.

Soon to be seen on Discovery Channel's "Worst Engineering Disasters".:(

Ram From Hell said:
Very, very ugly.

That had to be a solid 60' drop at the center span.

Soon to be seen on Discovery Channel's "Worst Engineering Disasters".:(

Or another cover up of an actual terrorist attack.....

RIP and God bless them....

D

Yep, I saw it on the news earlier today. about an hour after it happened. I thought it might be an earth quake...
Pretty sad. amazing to see some of the cars clinging on the section of the bridge at a fairly sharp angle.
And the school bus and the kids...no picnic there either.
I just heard there are 6 who passed away...
my prayers go out to those families...

Dallas

God Bless the victims of this terrible tragedy.

I know this is sweet lemons, but thankfully they were doing construction, otherwise it would have been much worse!

A couple of things I noticed:

- The bridge was more than 45 years old. It was designed and built when there were fewer cars on the road, and much less overall traffic. This isn't much of an excuse, but it could be a contributing factor.
- The construction taking place could have weakened existing faults.
- None of the media mentioned this so far, but I saw that a train was caught underneath one of the collapsed sections. It was traveling parallel to the river. Now, a full-loaded cargo train puts down quite a vibratory footprint as it travels.
That, combined with the construction, heavy traffic and the fairly harsh climate the bridge has been enduring were probably the last straw. The bridge finally threw up it's hands and said "F-you".

To those conspiracy theorists out there convinced that it was a terrorist event, here's a big dose of common sense:
- Note the 2nd bridge immediately north of the collapsed bridge. If it was a terror attack, they would have taken out both bridges. While terrorists are a-holes at the utmost level, they usually don't do half-assed work.

My heart goes out to those families who lost loved ones, and I wish the city of Minneapolis and it's people the the best during this time of disaster.

Kevan said:
- None of the media mentioned this so far, but I saw that a train was caught underneath one of the collapsed sections. It was traveling parallel to the river. Now, a full-loaded cargo train puts down quite a vibratory footprint as it travels.

As a matter of fact, I'd noticed that myself.

Kevan said:
To those conspiracy theorists out there convinced that it was a terrorist event, here's a big dose of common sense:
- Note the 2nd bridge immediately north of the collapsed bridge. If it was a terror attack, they would have taken out both bridges. While terrorists are a-holes at the utmost level, they usually don't do half-assed work.

Not to mention we would have seen some grainy video of it turned into Al Jezera by now.

Wow... I hope this makes the government look closer at overdesigning roadways from now on. There really is not much of an excuse for this.

Kevan said:
Also, the terrorists seem to be much more interested in killing people than damaging property. It would be much less likely here than many other areas , but If it were terrorism you'd think they'd hit the Dome about 3min. away(can be seen in some of the overheads) where the Twins/Royals were getting ready to start a baseball game where avg. attendance has been 29k this season.

I'm a 1/2 hr. north of and rarely on that stretch, but occasionally(frequently during Hockey season) on 94, within 1/4 mi crossing same river on diff. bridge . I'm good and so far don't personally know of anyone involved. Only 4 confirmed dead so far, but most likely more in river that they are having major troubles getting to.

Their families and friends will be in our prayers

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back