Misfire on 4 cylinders

BadCompany9119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i took the truck in to get the hydraulic fan(P01499) looked at since it was throwing a electrical code, unfortunately before they could look up how to fix that their pc with all dodge information supposedly went down. But they told me they also found the truck was misfiring on 4 cylinders, if i remember correctly he said 2,4,6 and 10. The wires are msd and pretty new i'm not sure on the plugs though as i have not changed them since i bought the truck, bought it with 18k miles on it now have 23,600 on it. I'm not good with this kind of stuff (why i'm going to school for it :D ) but i asked the guy there and said do you think it would be the plugs or wires and he told me no because it is happening on 4 cylinders and not just one or two. So he told me the truck is fine to drive since the fan is working correctly, and i did not want some random shop touching my engine so i took it back. It's not throwing a code for the misfire if it even can?, he also told me it was throwing a 2nd code P0135 but i checked myself and this code dose not come up when i cycle the key.

So i looked for a good shop around my area out here and can't find anything close to me, and the dodge dealer down here is backed up about a week. I'm going to wait for the dodge dealer to fit me in i guess, I'm just trying to get an idea what could be going wrong with it.

I could not tell that it was misfiring the guy in the shop sounded shocked when i told him i had no clue it was doing that. The truck also starts to vibrate when you stop, you can actually feel the brake pedal shaking with your foot on it when you stop at a light or wherever. To me it sounds like the fan is hitting something in there or rubbing on something but i looked and can't see anything that it would be hitting. So I'm clueless to what could be going on, i'm 6 hours away from home going to school and my truck is the only was i have of getting there so I'm hoping it is not something serious, anyone have an idiea what could be going on with it?:confused: That or if anyone knows a good shop near greensburg, pa or around pittsburg let me know please.

Edit: Forgot to mention the truck seems to be running really rich i was getting about 8.5mpg on normal driving which i know is not what is always did, putting about 80 miles on the truck went through half a tank of gas, That's not normal for me from what i can remember.

Last edited:
does the 4 plug wire coil connect to those cylinders ---maybe coil???:dontknow:

If you're misfiring, I would expect to see fault codes for those specific cylinders or a multiple cylinder misfire code. And if you're running rich, you can throw a code for that problem too. Did the dealer diagnose any thing with a scan tool?

VIPR PWR said:
does the 4 plug wire coil connect to those cylinders ---maybe coil???:dontknow:

Per the 05 SM, 2, 4 and 6 connect to the rear coil and 10 to the front coil.

No it was just some a random shop i found looking through AAA since i though the fan would die and the truck would overheat i wanted to get it looked at asap. He told me the scan tool for the dodge vehicles went down when they hooked the truck up, so I'm not sure how he came up with the misfire and the 2nd code that i can't get to show up either. So i'm not sure if it actually is misfiring or what is going on.

BadCompany9119 said:
No it was just some a random shop i found looking through AAA since i though the fan would die and the truck would overheat i wanted to get it looked at asap. He told me the scan tool for the dodge vehicles went down when they hooked the truck up, so I'm not sure how he came up with the misfire and the 2nd code that i can't get to show up either. So i'm not sure if it actually is misfiring or what is going on.

If your local dealer is booked, I'd try another local shop who has an up to date Dodge scan tool and have them check out whats happening. If nobody else locally can diagnose, try begging and pleading with your dealer to fit you in. And for misfiring on 4 cylinders, I would expect also driveability and performance issues, besides the truck sucking gas.

Call Chuck at Tators Garage,(Formerly Tators Dodge) South Salem NY. 914 763 3136. He is known as the "Viper Wizard" and he took awesome care of my truck. Worth the 90 minute drive IMO.

If i was in jersey i would have been there already but it's a 7 and a half hour drive from here lol. I guess I'll keep looking for a place around here while i wait for a spot at the dealer to open up, and i have not noticed anything while driving the truck that would indicate a misfire.

Last weekend my sister called me asking about check engine light on her Acura MDX. Told her to bring it over and I'd see what the code was. Codes tuned out to be misfiring on all 6 cylinders. Based on the engine design led me to believe it would most likely be MAP and or MAS sensor or spark plugs as they had nearly 103K on the originals (first change is 105K) or too tight valves. Figured I could rule out valves as most are hydra. Turns out the Honda 3.5L is not. At least one exhaust valve on every cylinder was tight. 3 were just shy of no lash at all. Acura recommends checking valves at 105K. Oh...timing belt? It was on its last legs and yes Acura recommends first replacement at 105K. I should add she has had only the dealer service the vehicle since new. Bottom line...manufactures push these service intervals far too long...:mad:

Misfires can cause all the symptoms you described and not necessarily be obvious to the average driver. Your misfire will be very easy for a good mechanic to figure out/repair. Modern electronics in cars are great stuff! Using a bit of common sense regarding service intervals....nother story! ;)

If it's misfiring on 4 cylinders there would be no doubt in your mind when you punch it. If it's the coil or bad plugs they might get enough juice at higher r's to not misfire. But I can't imagine you wouldn't notice it running very rough at idle with 4 cylinders misfiring, even occasionally. Sounds like coil or plugs or maybe both if it's intermittent. Coil first, then plugs.If you can't feel it, then it's probably their hardware/software.:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Yea i can't feel any difference in the truck while driving at all.

At idle it seems fine once you first start the truck but after you drive and come to a stop for the first time, it sounds like something is rubbing against something in there and causing a vibration, i thought it was a hose hitting something but i checked and everything is fine. Is that what the truck would do at idle if the coil or plugs or wires was bad. I assumed it was something related to the fan since i had that code, and the fan is making some funny noises at times and has gotten really loud when it turns on. I'm hoping it's just the coil packs or plugs, this gives me a good excuse to get stinkers coil pack :rock: I'll have to wait till next week to take it to get looked at though, everything seems fine with it though to me and the fan works perfectly fine so not sure why it's showing that code either. Guess we will see next week

Another random question i had too, while changing the oil yesterday i noticed the driver side header dose not have a bolt in the first slot in the front( closet to the front bumper) is there supposed to be one there?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back