missing oil

STOCKSRT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are these trucks known to burn i dont smell it but the other day i checked my oil and i was three quarts low and i checked it about a week prior after i had my oil changed luckily i checked before it was too late.....is there an oil light that comes on when low......

How many miles?

See if there is an oil seep at the rear main seal...

But, even the manual says that 1 qt. for each 1000 miles is "normal" consumption...most of us do not experience that kind of oil use. If you are not seeing blue smoke then it is a seep...unless you drove 3 ot 4 thousand miles...

on Mobil 1 will use 1 qt. every 3,000 miles.

on other brands have not seen any useage at all.

are you sure they used the right weight of oil???????

Did you check it after you got it changed?Maybe they didn't fill it up and double check it when they were done?but mine doesn't burn any or very very little between oil changes (1/4 qt or less)

STOCKSRT10 said:
are these trucks known to burn i dont smell it but the other day i checked my oil and i was three quarts low and i checked it about a week prior after i had my oil changed luckily i checked before it was too late.....is there an oil light that comes on when low......

The o-rings can go bad under the oil filler cap.
Clean oil can be tough to see on the valve covers.
A surprising amount of oil can be lost through the cap when they leak. It runs right down the pass. side of the block...Mine did, and a few others I have seen too...

The original caps have a black o-ring and the replacements caps have a green one. No leakie with greenie..

Last edited:
Hell, even with my oil cooler lines leaking, I just checked mine and it's still full after about 2000 miles and that's using Mobil 1 0/40:dontknow:

STOCKSRT10 said:
Three quarts is a shit load of oil to be missing, Are you sure that the dumb ass that changed the oil last didn't just put five quarts in?

STOCKSRT10 said:
The only light that will come on is when you lose oil pressure, you never ever want to see that light.:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

That much oil doesnt go "missing". It either went somewhere or wasn't put in. Mine uses very little oil between oil chages, but then again I drive like a grandmother :D with little spirts of a teenager thrown in.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back