Mixing fuel

yellowfever#154

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There a a couple of us who have a dyno day set for July 5th and we are planning to tune with pump gas and also higher octane fuel. What I am wondering is are we better off to run straight C12 or mix it with our normal 92-93 octane pump fuel to reduce to a 100 octane level? Two of the trucks are NA and mine is SC if that makes a difference. If the idea is to drop it to a 100 octane level then what would be the easiest way to determine the mixture ratios?

Also plan on getting a A/F gauge before we run, is there really any benefit of running two gauges? Or is it just to look cool?

Try to time the dyno day testing to 1/8th tank of gas on premium. Drain the tank and put in a 5 gallon drum of whatever octane race gas. Do not mix the two so you can get an acurate tune for whatever octane race gas you will tune too. You do not want to chance detonation especially if you have an 04 without a knock sensor. Are you tuning using meth injection on both premium and race gas?

Two are 05's and one is a 06. I never thought about whether running meth on either fuels. i think I will do 3 tunes, 1 everyday getting grocerys, 2 premium with meth, 3 race with meth.

How hard is it to drain the tanks on these trucks?

Does anyone have the ratio to mix C12 VP Racing race fuel with 92 octane pump gas to obtain a 100 octane level?? 50/50??

It sould be pretty easy to drain the tank. Heck, I do it every day. All you have to do is sit inside, put your foot on the large petal to the far right and apply as much pressure as you can with the truck in gear letting off and repeating between gears. Generally takes only a few minutes. ( depending on the amount in tank)....... :D :proud:

yellowfever#154 said:
There a a couple of us who have a dyno day set for July 5th and we are planning to tune with pump gas and also higher octane fuel. What I am wondering is are we better off to run straight C12 or mix it with our normal 92-93 octane pump fuel to reduce to a 100 octane level? Two of the trucks are NA and mine is SC if that makes a difference. If the idea is to drop it to a 100 octane level then what would be the easiest way to determine the mixture ratios?

Whatever you do, make sure it is UNLEADED fuel. Unless you change out your O2 sensors for NTK's, leaded fuel will ruin them.

yellowfever#154 said:
Also plan on getting a A/F gauge before we run, is there really any benefit of running two gauges? Or is it just to look cool?

Well, it does look cool.:D

You'd be surprised how much it can vary from bank to bank under different conditions. I can set the pair of AEM gauges on my column to display any engine parameter, and it's interesting to compare the two readings.

You can also get a 2-channel AFR setup, and have a single gauge display the leanest channel.

supay said:
It sould be pretty easy to drain the tank. Heck, I do it every day. All you have to do is sit inside, put your foot on the large petal to the far right and apply as much pressure as you can with the truck in gear letting off and repeating between gears. Generally takes only a few minutes. ( depending on the amount in tank)....... :D :proud:

Good call, then I dont even have to worry about getting dirty;)

I can understand why you would have 2 in your setup, I think I would have 10 if I had your setup:D But in my case maybe its more for show than functional? The 2 channel maybe something to look into. If running a single it probably is smartest to have it installed on the left side because of the #3 failures? I will keep that in mind about the leaded vs unleaded, thats good info that I never would have considered.

Ram From Hell said:
Whatever you do, make sure it is UNLEADED fuel. Unless you change out your O2 sensors for NTK's, leaded fuel will ruin them.

Well, it does look cool.:D

You'd be surprised how much it can vary from bank to bank under different conditions. I can set the pair of AEM gauges on my column to display any engine parameter, and it's interesting to compare the two readings.

You can also get a 2-channel AFR setup, and have a single gauge display the leanest channel.

Who's running a 100 octane tune? And what are you doing (how much in ratio) for mixing pump gas?? How much race fuel to how much pump gas??

I can choose between a 91, 100, and 105 octane tune with my SCT. I buy 5 gallon drums of either 100 or 105 octane unleaded and put it in the tank at the track. Before I put in the race gas I use Torco additive to boost my 91 premium pump gas to 100 or 105. I try to time it that I have less than a 1/16 a tank when I arrive at the track.

SrtBrad said:
I can choose between a 91, 100, and 105 octane tune with my SCT. I buy 5 gallon drums of either 100 or 105 octane unleaded and put it in the tank at the track. Before I put in the race gas I use Torco additive to boost my 91 premium pump gas to 100 or 105. I try to time it that I have less than a 1/16 a tank when I arrive at the track.

The calculation is very simple, the octane will be raised/lowered by the

% of the two fuels being mixed ie . 50% 93R<M2 50% 100R<M2=96.5R<M2,

30% 93 + 70% 100=97.9,etc.

yellowfever#154 said:

Back in the days of Leaded and Unleaded fuels,one trick used to be mixing 1/4 High test to 3/4 Unleaded regular (don't hold me to the exact ratios)which then brought your octane rating above the High test !!! Again I read somewhere that even with todays all unleadeds,the same principal holds true !!I can tell you that yesterday at the Dyno Day,Jake got a shitty batch of gas from Hess and pinged like a summmbeech !! With my just topped off 1/4 tank of HT and 3/4 Reg UL,ZERO pinging !!!! :dontknow: I'm a believer !!!

Your tuner should be able to do a tune for 100 octane based on the 91 or 93 tune without actually having to put the 100 in the tank..

6pakattack said:
Back in the days of Leaded and Unleaded fuels,one trick used to be mixing 1/4 High test to 3/4 Unleaded regular (don't hold me to the exact ratios)which then brought your octane rating above the High test !!! Again I read somewhere that even with todays all unleadeds,the same principal holds true !!I can tell you that yesterday at the Dyno Day,Jake got a shitty batch of gas from Hess and pinged like a summmbeech !! With my just topped off 1/4 tank of HT and 3/4 Reg UL,ZERO pinging !!!! :dontknow: I'm a believer !!!

A chemist once told me that mixing 1 gallon of 93 octane and 1 gallon of 100 octane did not make an average octane of 96.5.....The actual octane would be 98-99 due to how the octane boosters work....this somewhat supports what you have heard...:dontknow:

TNVIPER said:
A chemist once told me that mixing 1 gallon of 93 octane and 1 gallon of 100 octane did not make an average octane of 96.5.....The actual octane would be 98-99 due to how the octane boosters work....this somewhat supports what you have heard...:dontknow:

I was kinda surprised when they said it worked with Both Unleaded fuels !!!It's that chemistry thing I know nothing about !!!:rock: But if it works,that's kool by me !!!

TNVIPER said:
Your tuner should be able to do a tune for 100 octane based on the 91 or 93 tune without actually having to put the 100 in the tank..

I have a 100 octane tune,but don't I have to run 100 octane fuel??

Yellow venom said:
I have a 100 octane tune,but don't I have to run 100 octane fuel??

Not advisable but you could run the 100 tune on 93 gas but you better take it easy...no hard accelaration.....I assume you have a 91 or 93 tune for the everyday? I just use the 100 tune for the track since using 100 octane all the time would be costly.

TNVIPER said:
Not advisable but you could run the 100 tune on 93 gas but you better take it easy...no hard accelaration.....I assume you have a 91 or 93 tune for the everyday? I just use the 100 tune for the track since using 100 octane all the time would be costly.

Yes,thats exactly my plan,just using the 100 octane tune to play at the track with only,I run a 93 octane tune for normal driving.And I found out that to get to a safe 100 octane level that I need to mix 5 gal of C12 race fuel with 1/2 a tank of 92 octane pump gas.

Yellow venom said:
Yes,thats exactly my plan,just using the 100 octane tune to play at the track with only,I run a 93 octane tune for normal driving.And I found out that to get to a safe 100 octane level that I need to mix 5 gal of C12 race fuel with 1/2 a tank of 92 octane pump gas.

Just make sure the race fuel is unleaded or you will slowly destroy your O2 sensors...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back