Mod recommendations and sequence list

Himes

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just looking for some ideas on what to mod with and what sequence to mod in. I am looking for performance mostly but at a manageable cost for reliability and without compromise to comfort. It is a very comfortable ride for me now and I feel very safe in it.

I have learned the hard way that you need to have a "game plan" when modding for motorsports performance. This is why I am looking for a sequence. Otherwise you can end up throwing good money after bad and a garage full of relic parts. Also, sometimes parts that don't seem like they are performance mods turn out to be big ones...like clutch and brake levers on a motorcycle and performance seat covers on personal watercraft.

So far, I have the CE with borla exhaust, the PCM and the rear suspension lowered 1 inch. They seem like good mods so far.

I want all around performance, but I want more kick from 50 MPH to 110 MPH as a priority.

I know that mods have been discussed at lenghth here, but I also now that some mods that everyone jumps on initially end up not being worth the money, so I thought I would open a new thread.

If you had to do it all over again, what mods would you do and in what order to get more performance from 50MPH to over 100?

Thanks in advance bros.

I would say go catless mids they are cheap for the power increase. If its in you budget do some long tubes.

Just sayin'...

Begin with the end in mind. A plan is critical.

You seem to understand the trade off between added power and reliability, are you sure that you can adjust to the down time that comes with performance modification?

Are you prepared to pay eight to twelve grand when the engine goes? All modified engines are on borrowed time.

If you have responded yes, then here is the real question...are you willing to do first things first?

If the engine is to be stressed, you need to start with the bottom end...forged pistons, forged rods, billet main bearings.

How much performance do you intend to have at the finish of this project?

If you answer is "lots", then do the head work while the engine is out.

You will need to replace that slave and master cylinder to get the thing to shift...and you will also have to decided if you are going to have a power adder...a supercharger, a turbo or two, or maybe a procharger...are you going to spray? All of those things need to be in your decision matrix at the start.

While this is not rocket science...it does require some knowledge and planning, and then a dedication to your goal.

On the other hand, you might be well advised to stop where you are...and enjoy what you currently have.

I have more if you are really interested.

Welcome and drive it like you stole it!

Correct me I am wrong, but don't I have to have cats for road ops in the People's Repubik of Kalifornia?

Years ago, I had a '76 Trans Am with a 4 speed 400 and a nitrous cheater. I pulled the juice and put in a competition moderate lift cam and wallored it to a 418. This dramatically improved my 50 to over 100 mph bite while not really affecting reliability. It ran a bit rougher at idle but that was the only negative.

Are there mild cams that can help mid range punch available? Are there headers avaialble that give some more mids?

I am just throwing out ideas. I don't claim to know what I am talking about. Thanks for the help so far.

Go with a billy boat set of headers, with hi flo cat mids, from there ditch the pcm deal and get an sct and get it dyno tuned
from there a ported throttle body, a good tune up, a cam helps, but if you go that far you may as well do heads and intake

I believe but do not know...that you don't need cats in California until you get your emissions check...and if you get caught without them between the checks, I think there is a pretty stout fine...but someone from California will post up. So you do need cats unless you want to live on the edge.

K and N drop in air filter, delete the cats, change the shifter to the B&M unit, then smoke the lights!!

Hucksrt10 said:
K and N drop in air filter, delete the cats, change the shifter to the B&M unit, then smoke the lights!!

Norbert, I'm trying they don't exist new. sell me yours

in my opinion next step would be aftermarket high flow cats then go with a custom tune from DC Performance just north of you. Much more than that and you open the flood gates to get any performance AND still remain reliable. Our piston ring landings are far too weak to push. Custom tune for you vehicle will help ensure no detonation but able to make the most of your mods.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I think a tune and air filter are the way to go for starters. I just need to be assured that I can pass smog.

I have a short throw shifter, I like it!

Chuck-

How do you like that triple? I been eyeing those for years now. I have an '05 Tiger.

Attachments

• Viper seats with short throw and CE stitching - Copy (600x800).jpg
    Viper seats with short throw and CE stitching - Copy (600x800).jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 54
If you're in Cali, you need to keep your cats.

I have a QC, but a tune, cat-back and CAI were nice upgrades to performance... possibly more gain on a QC since it is really neutered from the factory compared to the RC.

As the others have said, mild mods will be ok... start adding a lot, and you'll need to open the piggy bank pretty wide.

Most likely my next mods are headers/hi-flow cat mid-pipe.

Himes said:
Chuck-

How do you like that triple? I been eyeing those for years now. I have an '05 Tiger.

I likey enough that I'm spraying a different color scheme on the race plastics in the next couple weeks for our race opener on Sept 18th. Will run it for another year. :rock: Just built out the 450X to full on Motard...gonna have a ball with it too!

I think 675's could win big if they were ridden by better riders.

The best looking sportbike ever, IMO. Be sure to posts some pix after you have it painted.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back