Model Year Schooling

SRTHOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm lobbing up a home run for you guys, I haven't been able to find out differences between the 04, 05, and 06 MY trucks. I saw snippets about different gears. Like 4.10 in 04 and 4.56 in 05/06. True? If so did they use the 4.10 to achieve the top speed record or is it the same regardless of rear end. Did they change first gear or anything with the transmissions when switching rear end gearing?

I don't think I've ever seen an 04 with a stock tonneau cover, did 04 come with tonneau covers or not? All 05, 06 did? Does the tonneau cover help with down force or mpg or hurt (based on the tail gate up/down thread). I know the wing helps, how is the wing affected by having or not having the tonneau cover?

Did the 06 only come in the gray interior? Looks like the 04/05 have the same interior?

Any motor or ECU adjustments made after 04?

Any other changes to note or any of the special packages add anything besides badging and paint colors?

'04 was an option
'05 & '06 was their own model

'04 no knock sensor & crank sensor ran off the fly wheel

'04 has steel pedals
'05 & '06 aluminum

supposed to be frame differences on the '06 along with front sheet metal & interior

04 had 2 piston caliper on front brake
05/06 had 4 piston caliper on front brake

04/05 are based on RAM1500 frame
06 is based on 2500 frame approx 300pounds heavier

04/05 standard wiring
06 with bus connection

04 only regular cab
05/06 regular cab and quad cab

04 / 05 regular cab 3seater
06 regular cab 2 seater

i know the 05's where based on the 2500 frame also not 100% sure on the 04's

i am not going to argue in here. but mine is an 05 and a 2500 frame so unless its an odd ball which i dont think it is. it is what it is. believe what you want at that point.

Last edited:
Special editions:

2004: VCA edition
2005:CE's and Yellow Fever's
2006: Night Runner

That's all to my knowledge, 06 was only year for mineral gray and red was a different shade too.

Brakes are better for 05/06 but 04 is still very good unless you want to try AutoX.

I think top speed is the same for all years and tranny gearing in unchanged for 05. A lot has already been covered.

Interiors are way different, no jump seat on 06
Electrical different on 06
Different fenders, grille, bumper, headlights on 06
Main colors 04-05 were Black, Silver, and Flame Red
Main colors on 06 were Grey, Pearl Black, and Inferno Red Pearl

What it all boils down to is this:

2005 SRT 10's in Black are the best.

why can't it just be black SRT-10s, you have to go and divide the community even further with a comment like that..... oh yes, :D

Great info guys, I'm most interested in the gearing change from 04 to 05, Why? Performance has to be different, no?

This is my opinion only on the gears. I like the 4.10s, most people claim that the 4.56 trucks are quicker, but I'd be willing to put my similarly equipped 04 up against either of the 4.56 equipped years. Plus on a long highway trip I get low 19s in fuel economy

I would think the 4.10 would trap higher mph and likely a faster time, but I believe Trainman is 4.56 now and ArrestmeRed04 is 4.10 and Justin's is heavier and just couple tents slower. It would be a awesome comparison in one day in sane track with same truck :)

i am not going to argue in here. but mine is an 05 and a 2500 frame so unless its an odd ball which i dont think it is. it is what it is. believe what you want at that point.

I won't argue either, but if you could let me know what you have that shows that, it would be an interesting fact in my collection

yeah I think he's the only 05 ever to have the 2500 frame.

Not sure I would say that, I've seen some strange stuff over the years. 2006's with 2005 bodies, why not a 2005 body on a 2006 frame?

I believe there was a thread exactly like this a few months back.....:smokin:

i know the 05's where based on the 2500 frame also not 100% sure on the 04's
Sorry, not true !
Only 06 were !
Actually, you are both incorrect. My '04 weigh's exactly the same as an '06 RC. There may indeed be frame differences, but the 300 pound difference is an internet myth.

I believe there was a thread exactly like this a few months back.....:smokin:
Yes, there was. I can't help but chuckle at people who say they have "been researching" when a simple search would have answered all their questions. The last thread on this topic was two months ago: http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f7/differences-2004-2006-rc-56188/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back